What are you listening too

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Petra24
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petra24 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:59 am

jmhasty Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:30 pm Post subject: Almost Home or Keep on walkin???????????????????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petra24 wrote:
Lots of sports talk radio and in case my brother sees this.....Sonrise!

Ok i finally saw this.................... My only question would be, can you sing these songs while falling down trying to wave a runner home from third????????????????

My brother the smart guy. :lol: By the way....my back is a little on the tight side today.

0 x
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse"

Petra24
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petra24 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Oh and to answer your Sonrise question......my favorite would have been either Ps. 23 or Watergrave......one original (sort of) and one copied.
0 x
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse"

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Mon May 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Rich Mullins and the Ragamuffins, U2, Stryper, Kutless, Kevin Max, Michelle Tumes, and Natalie Grant. STILL waiting for Michael W. Smith to release something as killer as "Live The Life."

Mark
0 x

Gusset
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Gusset » Tue May 09, 2006 8:21 am

Iona, Dave Bainbridge, Glass Hammer, and Steven Curtis Chapman are really the only current artists spending time in my CD player. Beyond that it's White Heart, Kansas, and a little bit of old Michael W. Smith.

This is a good thread for me, because I am pretty out of it as far as "new" music goes and this is giving me some names to check out. Only stuff I'm a little familiar with on that front is Kutless, and that because my daughter really likes them so I listened to Sea of Faces a few times before taking her to see them. They don't really do it for me, so my search for current widely appreciated artists that perform music I can get into continues (I really, really like Iona and Glass Hammer, but they aren't exactly household names, and they don't tour, at least not in these parts...)
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:29 am

Third Day, David Crowder Band, Mercy Me, Hillsongs, WhiteHeart, World Wide Message Tribe are what I currently have in my car playing loudly.
0 x

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Tue May 09, 2006 7:13 pm

I almost listen to nothing but Petra but I have other bands/artists that I like. My current favorite album is BB. I also listen to Third Day and a comedian named Roy D Mercer. I also like um.....ahem....Southern Gospel. The only thing secular I listen to is old country and bluegrass(which are my fav types of music other than rock) music. Singers like Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Johnny Cash and some Elvis, just to name a few.

My all time fave country song is Your Cheating Heart.
0 x
Holy Moley

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Tue May 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Gusset wrote:Iona, Dave Bainbridge, Glass Hammer, and Steven Curtis Chapman are really the only current artists spending time in my CD player. Beyond that it's White Heart, Kansas, and a little bit of old Michael W. Smith.

This is a good thread for me, because I am pretty out of it as far as "new" music goes and this is giving me some names to check out. Only stuff I'm a little familiar with on that front is Kutless, and that because my daughter really likes them so I listened to Sea of Faces a few times before taking her to see them. They don't really do it for me, so my search for current widely appreciated artists that perform music I can get into continues (I really, really like Iona and Glass Hammer, but they aren't exactly household names, and they don't tour, at least not in these parts...)
Im with you. I dont really listen to the music of today. Really the only "today group I listen to is Third Day and to be honest they are not the best musicians in the industry. Where are all the Bob Hartmans and Phil Keaggys? Today's CCM musicians or any mainstean musician for that matter, I find lacks creativity and skill. Kutless is terrible when it comes(I think) to this. I think I agree when somebody said they were a Creed rip off. They sound like any other band in the genre of music and most of there songs have the same beat. Their songs start slow and end fast.

This is why I dont much listen to the music of today because I find that the latest CCM artist's lyrics are watered down. Take a look at Petra, all of their song's are biblically based or at least have a evangelical message. The CCM songs of today(aside from worship) are hard to understand because one does not know what the message of the song is.
0 x
Holy Moley

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 09, 2006 7:47 pm

Yes, I am listening, too.

This time around it is Paper Tapes by Lonely Hearts, Eargasmic Arrangements by Sup the Chemist, Glass Harp by Glass Harp (Incredible!), and In Light Syrup by Toad the Wet Sprocket.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Tue May 09, 2006 7:56 pm

The next cd I want to get is Glass Harp Live at Carnagie Hall
0 x
Holy Moley

Quigon John
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Quigon John » Tue May 09, 2006 8:57 pm

I am also a full fledged member of the "Good ol days" club when Christian music was distinct in its presentation of the gospel. I have tried to be open minded when selecting new christian music to listen to but sometimes it just seems to me so many bands are just making music to fill a place in the "market demand" for christian music. The music that frequents my ride to work and cd player while at work is as follows, note the variety but I consider all the following bands to help with spiritual nourishment with their message.

Petra- obviously

John Cox- for those who have never heard of him, he toured with petra on the pp2 tour and he desire to have a relationship with God is VERY Evident in his music, check him out, Get the Sunny Day album first

Whitecross-good stuff for those who like to rock with a message

Keith Green- Definitely a change of pace but even Petra showed him respect by recording on his tribute album. He is very spiritually challenging and I can't say enough about how much God has used him in my life. The music is not rock but definitely food for the spirit

Newsboys- Love their Passion for the Lord

Third Day- They have stepped in to fill my Petra void and I believe they come the closest to filling Petra's shoes in the Christian music scene and they are great in concert.

Chris Tomlin- Good worship music

Audio Adrenaline- Good rock Good message, but they are retiring as well

DC talk- Jesus Freak album is great if you havent heard it by now.

And thats my current playlist!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Tue May 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Jesus Freak and Free At Last get alot of play from me.

Honestly I think the hey day of evangalistic christian music is over for now. Who knows, maybe there will be a rebirth. I've got plenty of stuff on my ipod for now (over 200 albums) to keep me happy. Plenty of rotation. Yes I own that many. Anyways I got a book that lists pretty much every christian music artist up to the year 2000 and it does a good job for helping me find evangalistic groups that I've missed over the year.

But boy... finding older CD's can be pretty tough sometimes!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue May 09, 2006 10:14 pm

Glass Harp? Whoa. That's going back a few years...I have some of their LPs, I haven't listened to them for awhile though. I'm going to have to dust them off again.

Sigh. This thread is making me feel mushy and sentimental. :roll: :D
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 am

I am in kind of a music downtime right now. Not much for music, mostly lots of podcasts. Apologetics.com is my favorite because those guys make me laugh...

But I have been listening to Paul McCartney's last album a fair amount lately (yes the one that got all the fanfare when it was first released) in the car. It is a good "listening album" as I call them.
Also my "jump tunes" playlist which includes many types of dance music from the last 80 years; I find that shanghai shuffle and hey ya actually blend quite nicely for me.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Wed May 10, 2006 10:10 am

Shell wrote:Glass Harp? Whoa. That's going back a few years...I have some of their LPs, I haven't listened to them for awhile though. I'm going to have to dust them off again.

Sigh. This thread is making me feel mushy and sentimental. :roll: :D
I like the jam bandish kind of music. You know the half hour rock jam sessions. Glass Harp Live has a 28min. song on it where they just jam and do solos. I love that kind of thing. My cousin loves phish. The only song I know from them is a song called Wilson
0 x
Holy Moley

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:05 am

I've been listening to, besides Petra- Kansas, Stryper, White Heart, Foreigner just to name a few. Just last night I got out Then & Now by Asia. I, also, recently got out Vanishing Lessons by Tourniquet.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"