Fav petra songs poll #16 (No Doubt)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album "No Doubt"

Poll ended at Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Enter In
10%
Think Twice
32%
Heart Of A Hero
6%
More Than A Thousand Words
3%
No Doubt (#1 single)
19%
Right Place
19%
Two Are Better Than One
No votes
Sincerely Yours
3%
Think On These Things
3%
For All You're Worth
3%

Total votes: 31

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:08 pm

Wow...as I write this, "Think Twice" is leading the poll...by a wide margin. As much as that song gets trashed by people, it's a little surprising.

I like "Think Twice". It's my second favorite song from NO DOUBT, next to the title track. I'm glad they included it in the "rock medley" on the farewell tour.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Gusset
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Gusset » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:21 pm

Think on These Things, in a near coin-toss with Heart of a Hero. TotT is based on a Scripture that I can never get enough reminder of, though, so I"ll go with that one.

I really like the guitar composition of HoaH. Would have been great to see Bob play that one live. Did anyone ever see him play it?

Most of the songs on this CD sound like they are done without keyboard. While I prefer the added depth the keys add, I do enjoy this CD quite a bit more than I would have expected. Production complaints aside, this record to me is an great example of how a keyless band should go about it. Nice sound, depth, good riffs keeping things interesting, no hint of getting stale.

I took my daughter to a headbanger concert last month, and between 4 bands, only one of which had any keys on the stage, all were basically a never ending procession of layered power chords...no lead guitar was in evidence (10 seconds of solo ALL NIGHT), and there seemed to be no variety in play style. I don't know if the band members simply don't have the ability and are just working with what they have, or if its a conscious effort and that's the sound they are after.

Not trying to diss anyone; I had a great time at the concert with my daughter, and some of the songs by the main act I find enjoyable enough. But it sure was a contrast with an effort like No Doubt (or the Farewell CD, for that matter), in which Petra takes basically the same instrument mix and makes it sound so much better. (edit- I realize a lot of Petra's post No Doubt work has a similar instrument mix, but I don't have much listening time on it.)
Last edited by Gusset on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PetFCtr
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetFCtr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:55 pm

i missed the chance to vote. "for all your worth" is my vote. its personal for me. Jesus really communicated to me through this song...my other fav is "enter in"
0 x

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:22 pm

No Doubt is my favorite song but I agree with others when I say this album does not sound Petrafied(LOL). It has a few songs on it that I like. I actually dont like Think Twice that much.
0 x
Holy Moley

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:24 pm

PetFCtr wrote:i missed the chance to vote. "for all your worth" is my vote. its personal for me. Jesus really communicated to me through this song...my other fav is "enter in"
The poll is still open until thurs morning 1am, so you should still be able to vote.

No Doubt (pun intended) this is one album that had alot of Petra fans scratching their heads.

Petra is one of the few bands that I've heard live that can get away with only a lead guitar, bass and still sound good. Ideally a good combo would be lead, rhythm, bass, drums, and keyboards.

Oh I agree on the earlier comment about varied play style, but that was also present in WUC and WUC is a much better album. Ironically I've found that the closer a group is a particular music style, the less I like them.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:18 am

Wow...as I write this, "Think Twice" is leading the poll...by a wide margin. As much as that song gets trashed by people, it's a little surprising.
Well we knew there had to be a reason it was included in the rock medley of the farewell tour. It seemed to be a fairly carefully chosen set list.

Or maybe I just thought so.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:42 pm

As much as that song gets trashed by people, it's a little surprising.
Why does it get trashed?

Certainly not because of the lyrics... whoa, when I heard that song, I thought it one of the most powerful messages I've ever heard in regards to sin and our sinfull condition.

The video was EXCELLENT... I loved how the producer gave it that 'scary' feel, with shadows and strange half-shots. From a production standpoint, it's one of Petra's best.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

t

Post by executioner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:34 pm

The lyrics are good and strong but the I feel the music deserves to be trashed. I feel it wasn't a classic and did not belong in the rock medley; All the other songs in the Rock Medley shows the true Petra and are true classics in CCM.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:34 pm

sue d. wrote:
As much as that song gets trashed by people, it's a little surprising.
Why does it get trashed?

Certainly not because of the lyrics... whoa, when I heard that song, I thought it one of the most powerful messages I've ever heard in regards to sin and our sinfull condition.

The video was EXCELLENT... I loved how the producer gave it that 'scary' feel, with shadows and strange half-shots. From a production standpoint, it's one of Petra's best.
Hey, I'm not trashing it Sue...like I said, it's my 2nd favorite song from NO DOUBT (after the title track).

Some people have said that it doesn't have the "Petra sound"...whatever that means. When they played it in the "rock medley" at the concert I was at, a lot of people sang along.

Yeah, I like the video for "Think Twice", too. John Schlitt looked really cool in that vid.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

believerindeed
Pethead
Pethead

Hold on.......

Post by believerindeed » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:53 pm

I can agree that the drums and production are not nearly as good on this cd as they should have been....even some of the songs were a little weak, but overall this cd is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be....I saw this tour on the first night in Gainesville, GA and it was the best show I have ever seen.....I am a huge Petra and Whiteheart fan and it was an awesome night....I remember Ronny Cates wasn't there because his wife had just had their baby and Whiteheart's bassist played for both Whiteheart and Petra's set. I still remember the start of the show with "Enter In" which is still one of my favorites. However I absolutely love the song "We Hold Our Hearts Out to You".....Every time I'm in my car driving down the road and hear this song it is just so powerful and ministers to me like few other songs have ever done.

Vote goes to "We Hold Our Hearts Out 2 U"
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

eye-emm-oh (IMO)

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:47 pm

I also think this was a step down from Wake-Up Call. None of the songs bother me, they all are decent, but most lack the exciting energy of Petra's 1987-1993 albums. I don't think the ballads (track 4, 5, and 11) measure up to previous Petra ballads. The title track has outstanding songwriting and lyrics, though. For some reason I really like "For All Your Worth" - that one is well-written and played beautifully. "Enter In" and "Right Place" rock pretty cool - I cast my vote for "Right Place" while "Enter In" is the second best.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:27 pm

Have to vote for "Think Twice." That song is very powerful for me and was the song that brought me back to Christ after a few years in the dark.

By the way, I now have a baby girl, Julia Hayli (last name withheld), born on 4/9/2006 at 4:49 PM (9 days late) in Urbana, IL (Champaign actually doesn't have a hospital)...

Oh yes...anyone able to tell me where I can find bass guitar tabs or music for the songs "Judas Kiss," "It Is Finished" and "Enter In"? My church is trying to put together a somewhat more edgy easter program for next year...and I get to play bass.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Voting for this album has completed.

Here are the results.

Think Twice [ 10 ]
No Doubt (#1 single) [6]
Right Place [6]
Enter In [3]
Heart Of A Hero [2]
More Than A Thousand Words [1]
Sincerely Yours [1]
Think On These Things [1]
For All You're Worth [1]
Two Are Better Than One [0]
We Hold Out Our Hearts To You [0]

The winner is easily "Think Twice" with 10 votes. Could this have been influenced by the recent inclusion on the "Rock Medley"? ;) j/k. "No Doubt" and "Right Place" hold a distant 2nd place with 6 votes, and "Enter In" with an even more distant 3rd place of 3 votes.

Note: I corrected the results from previous weeks vote. I forgot about an absentee cast vote
0 x

Laci3061
Pethead
Pethead

Lesson

Post by Laci3061 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:37 pm

krazykanuk wrote: They re Enter In, which gets my vote, No Doubt, and a very underrated ballad We Hold our Hearts Out to You.
I've learned my lesson about "underrated", that's for sure.
0 x
[url=http://www.for-7.com]Free Bingo[/url]