NEW PETRA ALBUM...OLD PETRA SONGS...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
callbeyond
Pethead
Pethead

NEW PETRA ALBUM...OLD PETRA SONGS...

Post by callbeyond » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:15 am

OK...I know this topic has been revisited many times but, I would like to pose this thought. I have been a Pethead ever since I heard songs from More Power To Ya. Those songs introduced me to Christian Rock. When John joined the band, hearing him do all those songs that Greg did made me want to hear a recording of John doing them. A live album possibly? But anyway...my question and thought is this....I think the reason DT didn't do as well is because the songs that were revisited were so different from the original sound....I know what they were doing...but I would have liked to have heard them as they were but with John sining them.....anybody have a clue what I am talking about??? :?
ANYWAY...have Bob and John EVER thought about re-recording some old tunes with John and giving them more of an edgier sound and just fine tuning them?? I think alot of the old Petra fans tha knew Petra then would come back and say hey...wow! I like this! Not to down Greg, but I think John would do some of the songs a really great justice! :D
0 x
God Bless!
Taking The Call,
Kevin Barnett
www.callbeyondmusic.com
"NO DEFIANCE....JUST GOD RELIANCE!"

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:50 am

Hmm. I wouldn't mind hearing it, but not at the expense of another original rock album like J&H.
0 x

callbeyond
Pethead
Pethead

Post by callbeyond » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:11 am

Well...I see your point...but it would be an original album...just old stuff brought back to life. They could even "rock"them up a bit like J&H...they could call it..."BACK TO THE WAR ZONE"....Maybe they could pull it off on a live album. I remember John saying when I interviewed him a while back...that he woule love to do a live album. And now that Bob is back, and alot of old Christian bands are doing reunion tours...this would be a good opportunity to do one.
0 x
God Bless!
Taking The Call,
Kevin Barnett
www.callbeyondmusic.com
"NO DEFIANCE....JUST GOD RELIANCE!"

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

I hear ya!!

Post by superfly » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:39 am

I have thought for years that it would be really cool for Petra to include maybe one remake on an album of original material. It would be cool for an updated recording of Come & Join Us or even Blinded Eyes. I'm just talking one song, not a whole album. Like when they put God Gave Rock-n-Roll To You on Beat The System, only better. It's almost like "why not do it" if it's a new album of new material. Even if they don't want to list it, they could do a hidden track or something like that. I always thought that John singing Come & Join Us would be awesome...and how cool would that sound with JAH-like guitars and drums?!! Later!
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:52 pm

This is a really cool idea... one that I have also wondered about (like when I'm working out and I have Petra cranked up and I have nothing to do but let my mind wander about "what ifs").

I would rather see them do an entire album with John singing those old Greg X Volz songs. But I also agree with Micah... I would not want this to be a substitute for a new album.

The problem really would have to do with the timing of releasing it. If it is too close to the release of a valid new album, people would probably get confused as to which is what. If it is right in between the last release and the next release, it might get perceived as something like Double Take, which to me, was a substitute for a new album.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Finished

Post by Michael » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:29 pm

I actually emailed Bob Hartman a few months ago with the idea that Petra record a JAH-style version of "It Is Finished" from Beat the System and try to get it on a soundtrack CD for the upcoming film The Passion. Bob is always so courteous, a really nice guy... his reply was something to the effect of "Thanks for liking Petra, you can help us out by spreading the word about the new CD to all your friends!" Reading between the lines, thanks but no thanks for your ideas, 'cause we know what we want to do already. :) But I agree with the idea... there's no reason to not include a remake on each album. Heck, call it a "bonus track" or something. All it could do is beef up sales of the older CDs... that can't be a bad thing, can it?
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]