New solo project from John?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:49 pm

No one said anything... maybe they're not subscribed to the newsletter? I didn't put the post on his site yet because I didn't want to take down the info on the John & Bob tour....

So here's the letter if you haven't gotten it:

Hello everybody,

It�s John again, trying to keep everybody up to date! I realize at times it seems like it�s been forever until I update this newsletter.

A lot has happened since the last time I�ve talked with you all � I got my real estate license, so please spread the word! We�re going to put that information on the website so anyone who might know of someone in my area could give me a call and let me help them out with their real estate needs.

I�m working very hard doing my first solo record after almost 10 years. We were tossed between a few ideas, and it looks like I�m actually going to do a rock album; mainly for Europe, but for you hardcores, you�ll be able to get it, either through my website or� who knows! You can never tell what the Christian music business will do with John Schlitt!

But I�m excited about it, and I think it�s going to be a fantastic record. I have great people all ready to work with and I know it will be up to the standards you�ve come to expect from anyone in the Petra camp. I�m really excited about it and looking forward to moving ahead with this project.

I�m looking for financing with it at this moment, but I think that will come through. I believe that Jesus will honor that.

The family is all healthy and fine.

I appreciate your prayers and the comments I got from the last time I talked with you all. I know I seemed a little down, a little uncertain � I still am. But I sure got a lot of great, encouraging letters and emails, and I appreciate that from all of you. I can see that a lot of you care, and I thank you for that. The feeling is mutual.

I guess that is about it for now� stay tuned, because there may be a lot of stuff happening in the near future, and I�ll try to keep you updated on that.

Thanks so much!

� John
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 pm

I have been wating for this so long I am almost afrad to say to much. I just think I'll be quite till it's a done deal and in my CD player.

I do hope he does will with the real estate. My husband does that and it can be a tuff game. It is a great way to witness and help people. But kinda hard this time of year to sell much. But I did tell him if he has anyone ask about moving to Tenn to send them to John. You never know.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

Petra Fan Canada
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petra Fan Canada » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:49 am

sue d. wrote:No one said
I�m working very hard doing my first solo record after almost 10 years. We were tossed between a few ideas, and it looks like I�m actually going to do a rock album; mainly for Europe, but for you hardcores, you�ll be able to get it, either through my website or� who knows! You can never tell what the Christian music business will do with John Schlitt!
[/b]
1) It's sad when Europe is willing to accept him for he is, but we're not. :oops:

2) Guessing Game..Inpop or not?! Robert Hartman as Producer or not? Paul & Grag as musicians or not?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:22 am

1.) The state of rock in the Christian scene in America is rather pitiful, compared to other genres, like pop, AC, worship, etc.

Why? that could be a whole new thread.... anyone want to take it on?

Not only that, but it seems that if you're into ccm rock and over 40 - forget it. You ain't gonna make it... such a difference compared to the mainstream rock scene, where bands like Bon Jovi are going hot & heavy, not to mention '70s bands like Survivor, REO, Journey, Aerosmith, etc.

Apparently the Christian scene hasn't been around long enough to appreciate and recognize their rock foundations.

However, if you look at Petra's 'hot years' in the early '90s, John and Bob BOTH were 40 at the time. Go figure.

2). Not. Not. Not sure at this point.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:40 pm

Christian music appeals to whom? Christians. Less than 10% of the US population, that consider themselves to be "Christian" buy Christian music. The people that are buying it in the US are mostly youth and females. Hence the reason for jacked up hyper-niche marketing on the major networks.

1. Now, we must then consider trends, one of which happens to all markets, Christian and secular. Males are the dominant buyers of rock. Males stop buying new music from new bands, by their 20s-30s. This is an average ok, not true for some, but true for the majority. Males buy the music of their youth.

2. Now, there are many studies out now, some done by denominations, some by parachurch organizations, revealing aweful truths. The largest active denominations in the US are DEAD! The modern day revival is a farce. Last year, over 10,000 Southern Baptist churches did not baptise ONE PERSON! It takes an average of 85 churches in the US, to lead one soul to Christ on average. So, with faith and staying power decreasing, so is the purchasing of related teaching materials, bibles and music. If one falls out of communion with God, he/she will likely not listen to Christian music.

3. Only a fraction of "Christians" buy Christian music. Most males continue to listen to secular music anyway, because Christian music is too syrupy, and does not voice how they feel, in a way that they feel comfortable singing it. The same reason most non-church attending males give for not liking moder P&W services.

4. New audience. The average new convert knows nothing about Christian music, the heritage of it, and will not, because churches do not educate. The next generation will be even one step further away, and so on and so on. There are fewer churches reproducing generations of faithful attendees like we had in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

5. Less than 8% of the European population attends church, yet they are the biggest market for Christian ROCK music. They are also a great market for secular ROCK music. If you go to www.melodicrock.com you will see that many bands/musicians relocated there years ago, and are still at it. But these people are hard core hungry for good music. Petra sold 3:1 there. Three CDs in Europe for every one in the US. The big kicker is touring and support. It costs more money to support a tour there, and the crowds/venues are smaller for this nich market.

What we die-hard fans by and large are dealing with, is no different than what past generations dealt with. We all age, mature, change tastes, and make way to become the next generation of old people. No music lasts forever. No artist has staying power forever.

When John and I were doing PDC interviews at GMA Week, he told me that he was doing an AC record. I and a bunch of radio guys told him about the next trend here and in Europe. We then started discussing a 70s record. Man he came to life. Guitar solos, keyboard solos, melodicity, etc. The kids today know Led Zep, Head East, Journey, etc as AC. We know it as rock. So, maybe that is what changed his mind. I don't know. All I know is that if God made you to rock, then you should. Just find the place that allows for it and be happy.

I would gladly give up the money for PDCII to produce and distribute John's rock record. I think any label around now is going to not be in it for the long haul, expecting something for nothing. I hope John takes the indie road and shows the "christian" labels who is who.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:51 pm

I think it's pretty much the way brent said it. Except there also seems to be a certain amount of animosity towards CCM music as well. From both sides. You'd be surprised the number of christians who never heard of christian music (outside this PNW) junk. Which is one step above hymns musically, one step below hymns lyrically, and three steps below any decent christian music.

I'm really not surprised. All involved forces pushed it in this direction and I'd be surprised to see it improve. The heyday is pretty much over for now until a new scene merges.

Meanwhile I relegate myself by digging up older christian music that I missed over the years.
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:26 pm

Christian music appeals to whom? Christians. Less than 10% of the US population, that consider themselves to be "Christian" buy Christian music.
Curious where you're getting the stats from....? I do believe it.
Last year, over 10,000 Southern Baptist churches did not baptise ONE PERSON!
I find that extremely hard to believe. What's your source?
It takes an average of 85 churches in the US, to lead one soul to Christ on average.
Huh? Says who?
So, with faith and staying power decreasing, so is the purchasing of related teaching materials, bibles and music.
Does this theory (faith & staying power decreasing) relate to books, videos, and the like as well? Seems that the printed word is not in danger of dying. So why music, if indeed it is a losing ventue?
3. Only a fraction of "Christians" buy Christian music.
Now THAT I do believe. Up until a dozen years ago, I was one of them -and I have been an active Christian my whole life! I didn't KNOW there was such a thing... I only knew of Amy & Michael... and I didn't really care for either of them. I had NO clue about rock bands like Petra. I went to a very conservative, traditional church, and no one ever told me about Christian music. I've made it my goal to make sure to inform people in my town that there IS an alternative to the crap-language in mainstream rock by bringing in concerts, mostly with Petra-related people.

>The same reason most non-church attending males give for not liking moder P&W services.

Truthfully, I'm not in awe of most of the praise music myself. It IS lyrically shallow, imho. I'm real anxious to hear what Bob is coming out with... if someone could put some DEPTH into worship music - I'd be there.

Say what you will about Revival, but that album worked for me, not only because it's Petra, but songs like "Send Revival" had something to say... a REAL message.

4. New audience. The average new convert knows nothing about Christian music, the heritage of it, and will not, because churches do not educate.

Depends on what church you go to. My church now - yes, you will hear it during worship. My old church of nearly all my life - no. You'd never hear anything but hymns, or kid's music.
There are fewer churches reproducing generations of faithful attendees like we had in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.
Is that the churches' fault - or the lack of interest in the world in general in the things of God?
No music lasts forever. No artist has staying power forever.
Oh, Elvis does! (j/k, but not too far from the truth)
All I know is that if God made you to rock, then you should. Just find the place that allows for it and be happy.
that's the hard part - FINDING that place.
I would gladly give up the money for PDCII to produce and distribute John's rock record. I think any label around now is going to not be in it for the long haul, expecting something for nothing. I hope John takes the indie road and shows the "christian" labels who is who.
If he can find an investor - indie it is. My question is this - given the state of music, how 'safe' would this type of investment be? I mean, would it be a given that with proper distribution in Europe you'd make a great return?
The heyday is pretty much over for now until a new scene merges.... I hope John takes the indie road and shows the "christian" labels who is who
Maybe John will be the one to start the new scene.... there isn't a retirement plan in God's kingdom. Age is NOT a factor when employed by the Lord.[/quote]
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:50 pm

I grew up in a church that thought rock music was evil...They thought anyone who didn't go to their particular church was evil. :P I never heard about Christian rock in the church I grew up in. I found out about Christian rock music through some friends and realized God could use it. I'm looking forward to John's CD. The Lord will work things out.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:44 pm

sue d. wrote:
Christian music appeals to whom? Christians. Less than 10% of the US population, that consider themselves to be "Christian" buy Christian music.
Curious where you're getting the stats from....? I do believe it.
Last year, over 10,000 Southern Baptist churches did not baptise ONE PERSON!
I find that extremely hard to believe. What's your source?
It takes an average of 85 churches in the US, to lead one soul to Christ on average.
Huh? Says who?
So, with faith and staying power decreasing, so is the purchasing of related teaching materials, bibles and music.
Does this theory (faith & staying power decreasing) relate to books, videos, and the like as well? Seems that the printed word is not in danger of dying. So why music, if indeed it is a losing ventue?
3. Only a fraction of "Christians" buy Christian music.
Now THAT I do believe. Up until a dozen years ago, I was one of them -and I have been an active Christian my whole life! I didn't KNOW there was such a thing... I only knew of Amy & Michael... and I didn't really care for either of them. I had NO clue about rock bands like Petra. I went to a very conservative, traditional church, and no one ever told me about Christian music. I've made it my goal to make sure to inform people in my town that there IS an alternative to the crap-language in mainstream rock by bringing in concerts, mostly with Petra-related people.

>The same reason most non-church attending males give for not liking moder P&W services.

Truthfully, I'm not in awe of most of the praise music myself. It IS lyrically shallow, imho. I'm real anxious to hear what Bob is coming out with... if someone could put some DEPTH into worship music - I'd be there.

Say what you will about Revival, but that album worked for me, not only because it's Petra, but songs like "Send Revival" had something to say... a REAL message.

4. New audience. The average new convert knows nothing about Christian music, the heritage of it, and will not, because churches do not educate.

Depends on what church you go to. My church now - yes, you will hear it during worship. My old church of nearly all my life - no. You'd never hear anything but hymns, or kid's music.
There are fewer churches reproducing generations of faithful attendees like we had in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.
Is that the churches' fault - or the lack of interest in the world in general in the things of God?
No music lasts forever. No artist has staying power forever.
Oh, Elvis does! (j/k, but not too far from the truth)
All I know is that if God made you to rock, then you should. Just find the place that allows for it and be happy.
that's the hard part - FINDING that place.
If he can find an investor - indie it is. My question is this - given the state of music, how 'safe' would this type of investment be? I mean, would it be a given that with proper distribution in Europe you'd make a great return?
The heyday is pretty much over for now until a new scene merges.... I hope John takes the indie road and shows the "christian" labels who is who
Maybe John will be the one to start the new scene.... there isn't a retirement plan in God's kingdom. Age is NOT a factor when employed by the Lord.
[/quote]

Sue. The SBC published some of the stats. I get the others from Barna:
http://www.barna.org/
There are a few more sources that I can recommend if you like.

As far as Christian material sales are concerned, yes, few if any unsaved or fallen-away Christians buy Christian materials, or frequent Christian retailers. There are exceptions. There are books like Olsteen's and Warren's that have mass market appeal, but they are not meat books. They are milk books. This is why Christian retailers have removed "Christian" or "Baptist" from the name in some cases, and added Family or some other world-friendly, inclusive name. They need the traffic to sell goods to non Christians, or people of other religious beliefs.

Here's a great one. The religion/cult that people most defect to from Southern Baptist Churches is Mormonism. Mormons do not buy Christian music. They believe that it is satanic. Yet, they have Ward hosted dances for their youth, with secular music. Odd.

If you stay up with the retailer trade rags, ALL bands, retailers, distributors are scratching their heads right now. There are sales to new converts, but there is less staying power. Church book stores are killing the mom and pops, and so are the major chains.

Combine this with the fact that physical CD sales are a fraction of all music sold today. iTunes has over 95% of the market share of ALL music sold. Major chains already have some diversification, so that they can stay open. But the mom and pops, that are easier to get music into are doomed. Once all music is free, and it WILL be free within the next ten years, there will be much less traffic in all stores.

The upside is that there will continue to be a healthy supply of live music. Expect ticket costs to go up, not considering increasing cost of oil. The downside is that too many choices means clogged venues and too much crappy music from rookies, and old bands not knowing when to quit. This is a secular trend, not just a Christian one.

Read up on such things in:

Pollstar
ProSoundNews
Radio & Records (Is that RaR or RAR....ooops, couldn't help it)
Billboard
Variety
CBA
etc, etc
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Oh, forgot....

One should never think of funding a record as an investment, because you will not make it all back. Few if any record projects in the history of modern rock have broken even. Atleast, the way that the labels expense everything out. You will have to either sell the disc right above cost, so that you can negotiate for no returns, or face the likelyhood of paying freight on cases of CDs two to three times (you to distributor, then back). It's sometimes cheaper for the store to destroy the discs. Def Leppard had 250,000 returned CDs last year. OUCH!

If you are signed to a label, you are immediately in debt. The label is a bank, and loans you the money. It just so happens that this bank has connections to get you in the back door to radio, etc, etc. That's the only reason to use a label. You have to pay that money back. So you have to tour to make that money back, because the CDs are going to put you in the hole. Almost always! That's why Bon Jovi stated that he doesn't care if they ever make another CD, because it costs them too much money. They would rather tour and give them away. It is cheaper. Prince did exactly that.

Right now, I have global distribution. I have Wesscott, Billy Grahams people (which I turned Justin onto for his record). I have GoGlobal, and then all of the major digital download services and record clubs. Anyone can do this now. Distribution was the carrot that labels dangled before. John can have the same deal, because Dan knows those guys. So, what John needs is a truck load of cash to buy an indie rep, to get the music on radio, a manager that has no smelly ring around his kneck, and some marketing/advertising money. THAT's where is gets expensive.

So, it will have to be about ministry. Someone needing a great tax write off, etc should fit the bill.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

y

Post by executioner » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Brent,

I like alot of your points and agree with most. The one I have a problem with is the radio comments. Radio is on its way out. Radio listernership has gone down every year since 1999 and goes down by an average 0f 7% on a yearly basis. The most listened to CCM station in the country KLTY 94.1(Dallas) is stuggling to make ends meat and had layoffs last month(I know my brother was layed off). The only radio that has grown in the last decade is spanish speaking stations. Also the satilite radio like Sirus and XM are also not making it. In ten years radio will be nonexisent in the US. I feel John would be smart to go the idie route because as you say your in debt when you sign with a label.
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

statistics = baloney

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:25 pm

I don't always trust statistics to be accurate, especially religion statistics. Why: 1. It is not possible for staticians to survey every single person/adult on the planet, and 2. Not everyone surveyed will be honest. So how do SBC and Barna know for sure this information is true?
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:11 pm

Also it has been proven that statistians can alter results simply by the way they word their questions. They can often "put the words into people's mouths" so to speak if not careful or if trying to enforce an agenda.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: statistics = baloney

Post by brent » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:40 pm

yamasaaaki har har wrote:I don't always trust statistics to be accurate, especially religion statistics. Why: 1. It is not possible for staticians to survey every single person/adult on the planet, and 2. Not everyone surveyed will be honest. So how do SBC and Barna know for sure this information is true?
Think about what you just asked. Why would any Christian deny Christ in a survey? Why would they deny church affiliation? Why would they lie about souls saved? If anything people generally lie to make themselves look better, not worse. The SBC and Southwestern Theological Seminary are not proud of those SBC statistics. It was a self analysis, to spark revival. The church roles are large, but the congergations are not reproducing in most cases. Again, this is an average. There are some churches like Northpoint and Prestonwood that are booming.

Barna is out to help the church, not hurt it. They provide data to help people wake up and smell the coffee. Sometimes people need to revisit the great commission, to correct their great ommission.

There are some other people that have conducted the same type of studies. Billy Graham School of Mission's Dr. Thom S. Rainer has written a book about 5 categories of people and their willingness to accept the gospel. It is a great sociological study. You should check it out. It fits with Josh McDowell's previous studies. This is all stuff learned through countless years of ministry, conducting interviews and ministry.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: statistics = baloney

Post by greenchili » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:29 am

brent wrote:
yamasaaaki har har wrote:Billy Graham School of Mission's Dr. Thom S. Rainer has written a book about 5 categories of people and their willingness to accept the gospel. It is a great sociological study.
Sounds interesting..

What's the name of the book?
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..