Sound and Spirit

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
kochers811
Pethead
Pethead

Sound and Spirit

Post by kochers811 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:28 pm

Sound and Spirit has J&H for their featured selection of the month this month...that should help sales... :)
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:13 pm

It couldn't hurt.

Plus its about time Petra starts getting more recognition for this very excellent CD.

It still remains #1 in my CD changer since August. :D
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:22 pm

What is Sound and Spirit?
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Sound and Spirit

Post by Shell » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:34 pm

It's a company that sells CDs I believe.
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:19 pm

Sound and spirit does not count towards sales.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Why not? They're in the business of selling CDs. Seems to me that it counts just like buying from somewhere else. Don't they report their sales... or don't they buy the CDs from a source further up the channel who does the reporting?
0 x

kochers811
Pethead
Pethead

bmg

Post by kochers811 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:55 am

Sound and Spirit is an extention of BMG music that sells music...they have the deals to get you to join like buy 1 CD at regular price and get 12 free...

They should count in sales...there is no reason not to
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:01 am

Music clubs pay for the use of the masters, then offer 12 for one deals, which is why they don't count towards any kind of offical album sales. Think about it, you buy a Audio A album and get 11 albums free, how can you count that towards sales?
0 x

78drake
Pethead
Pethead

Sound & Spirit

Post by 78drake » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:46 pm

I think these sales do actually count. In cases such as featured selections where you pay full price for a cd, royalties still have to be paid. Also, once a member of a club such as BMG, the freebies stop and the cd's are usually regular price. The free selections received for joining the club probably don't count, however. I have never actually seen a full explanation of this entire process on paper. It would be interesting to see something detailing it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

music sales

Post by executioner » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:47 pm

It actually does count. Sales of a CD actually count when the retailer purchases them not the consumer. That is why you hear of CD's from popular artists have went gold or platium even before they hit the shelves; Soundscan releases those #'s a week ahead of time.

So, when you hear about an artist having 500,000 copies, it's not from the sales of the consumer, but from what the retailer has purchased. Everybody gets that assumption, but the IRS counts the sales when the retailer buys the copies.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Come now guys...

Post by Shell » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:00 pm

You surely don't think sales are what is really important do you? Don't waste your time arguing with this person. :? :P
0 x

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:40 pm

It actually does count. Sales of a CD actually count when the retailer purchases them not the consumer. That is why you hear of CD's from popular artists have went gold or platium even before they hit the shelves; Soundscan releases those #'s a week ahead of time.

First of all, sound scan has nothing to do with gold or platium albums, they report actual sales numbers from stores. If sound scan says an album sold 100,000 in a week, that means the album actually sold that at the stores. Go to hitsdaily, and that site actually does album sales as they are reported by the stores. What you are thinking about is the RIAA, they issue gold albums, diamond albums and whatever based on what has been SHIPPED, and when a label requests one.

Second of all, music clubs don't buy albums, they buy the rights to make the albums themselves. That is how they are able to offer such great deals and cheap prices.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:14 pm

I don't know. BillDD may be right for once. I used to live in Terre Haute, IN when I was in college, and Columbia House has a BIG facility there. I think they may have pressed everything there, now that I think about it. They may not have to report their sales other than to the IRS and through annual reports.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:19 pm

BillDD,

How is it your on this website just enough to find posts about sales? Do you like Petra? If so, which CD/album is you favorite? Just curious. :?
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

Bill F
Pethead
Pethead

Whatever!

Post by Bill F » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:23 pm

I'm not an expert in the music business but I think what Bill is saying is true. CD's from music clubs are always specially marked with the name of the club and usually have a notice not to be sold in retail stores. Regardless, I can't see where this is anything but good news. It's good promotion for the band to help get interest in concerts. I think this is a good sign.

On a side note, expect to see J&H in used CD stores within 3 to 4 months. This always happens when people forget to send the selection back in time. I've bought a lot of good CD's from these stores still in the wrapper that were from music clubs.

There you go BillyD! Your not going to let this opportunity pass are you?
0 x