Bob & John's New Praise Album - cover art

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:27 pm

I don't think anyone has really taken a shot at any particular person or people, I just think peoples oppinions are so strong because there's more cheese on this album cover than in the entire state of Wisconsin. At least that's what I get from it.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:45 pm

Elo, to say that we are to encourage somebody is one thing. To accept less than quality work is another. I will encourage everyone to love Christ with all of their heart. I will tell the Christian guy that cuts my grass, "You idiot! You ran over my cat with the mower! Buy me another before my daughter gets home!"

I do not accept his crappy work because he is a believer. And the work does not equal the person. Some people have a gift and some do not. No matter what, the poor job does not mean that the person is anymore or anyless a brother or sister in the Lord. Just as good work doesn't mean the person is anymore or anyless lost.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:27 pm

there's more cheese on this album cover than in the entire state of Wisconsin
HEY! I have lived in WI my whole life, and I can guarantee you there's quite a bit more cheese in this state, far outweighing the perceived cheese on the album cover.

In fact, at the end of December Bob will BE HERE in Cheeseland. Perhaps you could compare the Cheddar Factor with him. :wink: j/k
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Sue,

What are John's honest opinions of it?
0 x

notunderground
Pethead
Pethead

Post by notunderground » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:18 pm

I�ve been reading these posts and I can tell everyone that I have a great fondness for cheezzzze! And I am �pissed� (that�s right) at the negative manner in which cheezzzze is being portrayed by some here. Since everybody has a �right� to their own opinion(z), therefore my opinion is that �two stools on a stage� is like Elvis has left the building and therefore boring!!!!!
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:21 pm

I've really not talked in depth about it, truthfully.

Boy, the Zone is finally hopping! Haven't had a hot topic like this for a long time.

BTW, I wanted to mention two words on the subject of whether or not you like the album cover/title or not:

"Garden Party"
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:39 am

i don't like it at all.
1- it is not Petra-ish. all works from Petra were recognizable by the cover art standards they seemed to have always followed. Petra's cover art work, through out their career, helped defining what Petra is - along with their music and their message.
2- it was not well done. old pictures, ugly fonts, weird color palette.
in fact, with all respect to the person that did it, this cover art seems like those things some people do when they copy music or videos illegally and want a cool, homemade cover art for it.
in my opinion, if this project wants to be associated with Petra (meaning it wants to benefit from any kind of association with what Petra represented), then this cover art should be the more Petra-ish it could. for example, it would be nice to see one of those futuristic flying guitars again.
0 x
i wanna live until i die.

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:59 am

Constructive criticism? Where's the fun in that? Fine, FINE.

If this is indeed the cover, that is rather unfortunate.

I think it could be improved though by taking it to the hilt of dadaist design-gothic script, all cliche and over-the-top, an anti-cover. That is have it looking more ironically absurd (which I can only hope is what was intended) and less "old over-the-hill musicians trying desperately to show the youn'uns they can be cool too". That will be seen as the message of the cover as is. I believe that neither John nor Bob are in that place or should want to go there.

And indeed, well done cover design will tell you much about the music it is advertising, that is the point of it. You should be able to pick an album up an at least tell if it's one you want to give a listen to.
I can't really imagine Bob and/or John singing "old skool white rap" (at least I hope not), therefore the cover is odd and misleading.

Sad that you and I aren't going at it this time brent. You're always fun to argue with. :P
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:25 am

Charl,

I do what I can to keep traffic up, but this one has a life of it's own, eh?
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:05 am

Hey ELO, I can understand if you don't want anyone to express criticism that is meant to bash and not meant to have a positive effect. What's I said and what I'm saying now is said because I care about what happens with Bob and John's project and how it is represented.

Many here have said exactly how I feel about this cover. It doesn't do justice to the musical quality that Bob and John have together. And I think this needs to be said, because we all care about how Bob and John's album will be released.
The name they've chosen seems out of place. Petra has retired and I think they should leave out the mentioning of the name. It's seems useless to have done a farewell-tour when you're coming back pretending to be what's left of Petra. I think the name of Petra is something from the past and that they've now started something new.
I believe that Julie really did her best to create something to represent what Bob and John are wanting to tell with their music. But for me it just doesn't work... I really hope that this will not be the cover and the name of the project. Bob and John deserve something better.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 am

I do what I can to keep traffic up, but this one has a life of it's own, eh?
Can't blame us for starting it either. :)

Goes to show that we can all agree on some things, heh.

BTW Contructive criticism and harsh criticism need not be mutually exclusive. Sometimes what the "meanies" say should be considered rather than disregarded as "hatin", particularly if it is a statement of substance as many here have been.

Brutally honest criticism is necessary, particularly in a professional context. I admit that as something of a dilettante, others' opinions of my work are rather irrelevant. However if I were a graphic designer or professional fine artist, I would have to listen to what the critics thought or never sell anything.
I've put out stuff that deserves to be ripped to shreds, as have we all. That's just part of the process. I find that if no one challenges us on it, we remain content to put out inferior work.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 am

brent wrote:
calicowriter wrote:I don't think a CD's artwork will either stop someone from buying it or entice them.
1. We have no idea if Bob loves it.
2. It looks cheesy.
3. If Bob does like it cheesey, then Bob likes it, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to change their opinions about it or that anyone is forced to like it.
4. I don't know who the target market is. I suspect since they are playing off of the Petra name, that they are wanting former Petra fans to pick this up.

Well, as a fan, I will likely anyway, out of curiousity. Atleast I will run down to the store, if it is there, and listen to it first. As stated before by another author, if I were a long lost fan, I would not pick it up, because graphically it does not reach me at my age for all of the reasons mentioned in the thread thus far.

5. Some of us are not sheeples. Some of us still like the art. And believe it or not, it is a science to the major labels and I pay attention to it as a consumer and father of three daughters 15,14, 10.

A. The parental advisory sticker keeps the CD on the shelf for me.
B. Graphic art, as in mature situation art, keeps it on the shelf.
C. Nature scenes keep it on the shelf, as it is usually a sign of bad instrumental elevator music.
D. Art with signs and symbols use by the cults, bangs, etc does it.
E. Corny, overly corny biblical type names, generally used in southern gospel music usually stays on the shelf.
As any of you thought that maybe this is not about how many CD's can be sold or marketing or if they can get this on the all perfect radio stations? I know some of you around know Bob's quiet and sly type of humor, and I think this has Bob written all of over it. Yes for me the cover is cheesy and I don't like it, but I think this artist is doing what he wants to do with a tight budget, and also have you ever thought this is what God inspired him to do? Think about it!
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

cheez

Post by trodLAN » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:52 am

I've not heard the album yet, but it's coverscan is rumored to have turned out FANTASTIC!
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:42 pm

Pethead1 wrote:He said that it must take a shallow fan to be so critical.
Shallow fans blindly accept and love whatever their idolized band does or says.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm

That's true enough, but I would venture to guess what he may have meant was that he was surprised a CD cover would spark a discussion like this.

I sort of find it puzzling myself that a CD cover discussion would explode like this and for the most part things like prayer requests or a baby announcement generate so little attention. I know this is a Petra discussion board, and I know that just because someone may not respond to a prayer request doesn't mean that they're not praying for the person or don't care. But after all, how much does an CD cover really matter in the big scheme of things? It seems to me if we can manage to respond to this sort of thing, we should be able to respond to the other stuff too. Just an observation.
0 x