LETS HAVE SOME REVIEWS ON "VE"

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

LETS HAVE SOME REVIEWS ON "VE"

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 am

I know only a few have it so far but lets have some reviews on it.
0 x

Tony
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tony » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Ok, Let's see.

I got Vertical Expressions already and I listened to it.

From 1 to 10 I will give it a 8 it is a very good album specialy with John's voice, I really liked how it sounded (It was a little bit soft though, well it is a worship album right?) I kinda felt there was something missing though,
Probably more strings, not really sure. Did not like the live version of Juda's Kiss and Lord I Lift your Name on High, but overall the album is a bless.

Thank you!!!

Tony
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

what??

Post by trodLAN » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:23 pm

What? Didn't like "Judas Kiss" ? I have played that track over and over and over..... I think it's their best performance of this track ever!
I got the album today, and I am listening to it right now!
What a nice record!
Favourite track is "My Redeemer lives".
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

jmhasty
Pethead
Pethead

Agree

Post by jmhasty » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:37 pm

I agree with trodLan on this one. Judas Kiss is one of the highlights of the Cd. There are some songs that seem out of place, "God of Wonders" comes to mind, it just doesn't work. The whole last half of the CD is worth buying it alone Overall, it is what it is, a petra worship CD. If it was titled "Petra: Vertical Expressions" no-one would know any different. Bob is great on this CD and John is great too. I am very thankful they put this together, it is a good worship CD that you can listen to and get your thoughts focused on the Lord, which is what i think the purpose was in making it. God bless Bob and John for "raising the Banner" You guys are awesome and a true blessing to the body of Christ.
0 x

Tony
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tony » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:56 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Petra and is still my favorite band.

The live version of Judas Kiss the guitar is awesome, but there is like a little empty space when Bob is doing his thing, not really sure, I just feel it, maybe a background acoustic guitar or some strings to fill the empty spaces would have been really nice, but wathever, the album is great and my favorite song is "Blessed Be The Name & Trading My Sorrows"

Thank you for everything Bob & John and I'm looking forward for your next album.

God Bless you!!!
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

VE

Post by fcollazo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:37 pm

Great sound and excellent production, in that regard I put it up there with PP 2. But for example: "Here I Am To Worship" could have had an arrangement like "Let Our Voices Rise Like Incense" from PP2 to make it more interesting. Also I was expecting more high notes and wailing from John towards the second parts of the songs, because that is his trademark. That would have sounded more like a Petra arrangement.

Also there is something that bugs me a lot and it happened in the Revival album and on the Medley of PP2; and is that they tend to fade out and cut at the ends of songs just as John starts hitting the high notes or Bob starts soloing leaving you hanging waiting for the part you most love from Petra! Can somebody explain this?

Otherwise I love this Album and just want more, I want more Albums with the same energy and style were Jekyll and Hyde left off. I think that is the best direction they should follow. Anyway, Petra has been Bob and John since 2000, and I am OK with that.

Felipe
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 pm

I really enjoy this album. True, there's nothing fancy and I love a good, screaming guitar solo and John wailing for all he's worth as much as the rest of you. But, this IS a worship album, so they probably intentionally left out those elements so as not to distract.

I like the song selection. Now I'll finally be able to learn the songs we sing in church! :oops: My favorite is "My Redeemer Lives", and I'm really happy that we finally got that live version of "Judas' Kiss"! I do find it ironic though, that two PETRA songs made it onto a cd that's supposed to not be "Petra". Hehe :D
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm

When I first got mine, I listened to Judas Kiss first. I have listened to it over and over. It's very well done. I'm still not sure why it was left out on the Farewell album. What I did though was burn the Farewell album, and then burn the two live songs from VE and insert them in where they were in the live concert. I love it. It's not perfect, because I can't (or don't know how to) edit the crowd noise to make it fit exactly right. Don't worry, the burned CD is for personal use only.

The rest of the album is good overall. I like it. There are a couple of songs that seem like something is missing, but it's an enjoyable and very worshipful album.

Thanks Bob and John for putting it out, and for including the songs left of Farewell.
0 x

Petra4Me
Pethead
Pethead

VE

Post by Petra4Me » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 am

I just got my copy, which I've been waiting for, in the mail and have been listening to it.

My review: AWESOME!

Favs: Can't decide, they are sound Great! Judas Kiss comes to mind. It is a master piece! God of Wonders is also well done. Here I am to Worship is very worshipful. The rendition of Draw me Close to you is just fabulous.

All in all, this is an Album you all need to have and listen to, it's a great way to lift your hands in a "vertical expression" of worship!

I'm glad the boys made this album!!!!!

God Bless,

-Petra4Me-
0 x
With No Difiance, Just God Reliance! - Petra

carol d.
Pethead
Pethead

Post by carol d. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:28 pm

I received my copy two days ago and have listened to it several times.

My review: OUTSTANDINGLY SUPERB!!!

I think this album highlights the versatility of John's voice and Bob's playing in a way that I have not heard on any Petra album. The arrangements are excellent and the vocals are very prominent. I heard qualities of John's voice that are not often heard (for any length of time, anyway) on other Petra songs. Bob's guitar playing provides a unique feel to many of the songs. I was pleasantly surprised to find the album a bit edgier than I expected it would be. I think all the songs are extremely well-done, superbly produced, and fit together nicely. :D

In a nutshell, John sure can sing and Bob sure can play! :lol:

If you don't have your copy yet, it is well worth the wait!

Thanks again, Bob and John; and I hope there will be more to come!!!

Carol
0 x
[color=purple][size=109]"He Came, He Saw, He Conquered!"[/color][/size]

got2btru
Pethead
Pethead

ii Guys from Petra: Vertical Expression

Post by got2btru » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Hey everyone...long time no talk!

I got my fix, and to be honest...it's Petra, so it's a good "fix" (now if I could ONLY find some Vanilla Pepsi!). ;o)

Seriously though, it sounds really good - the only thing that kept sticking out to me as I listened was that John's voice sounds really raspy. Not sure if it was intentional or not (or that John is simply getting up there - sorry John!).

About the only thing I didn't care for was the live version of Lord I Lift Your Name.

More to come....love you all!

Chris...
aka Got2BTru
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

VE

Post by fcollazo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:10 pm

Did anybody noticed that they fade out the songs just as John and Bob start letting loose? To me it's really silly. It seems like the Revival syndrome.

Otherwise PETRA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Kaiser
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kaiser » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:33 am

:) Very nice! It just seemed like something was missing. I really miss the rest of band. :(
0 x

carol d.
Pethead
Pethead

Post by carol d. » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:38 am

the only thing that kept sticking out to me as I listened was that John's voice sounds really raspy. Not sure if it was intentional or not (or that John is simply getting up there - sorry John!).
Chris: I think your second guess is correct. A while back, my husband and I listened to all the Petra albums (since John) in chronological order, starting with Back to the Street. The raspiness was always there, just a bit, but we could defintely hear the change in John's voice from his 30's to his 40's to his 50's. It was kinda cool. I love John's voice today as much as his "younger" voice, and as someone said in another post, it is like a fine wine....

Carol
0 x
[color=purple][size=109]"He Came, He Saw, He Conquered!"[/color][/size]

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:54 am

carol d. wrote:[Chris: I think your second guess is correct. A while back, my husband and I listened to all the Petra albums (since John) in chronological order, starting with Back to the Street. The raspiness was always there, just a bit, but we could defintely hear the change in John's voice from his 30's to his 40's to his 50's. It was kinda cool. I love John's voice today as much as his "younger" voice, and as someone said in another post, it is like a fine wine....Carol
If you really want to hear a change, you should start with some Head East stuff, back when John was just a young'un.
0 x