What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Post by brent » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. No mention of a double album. No production yet.
0 x

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 am

Hi guys,

I just posted a pretty strong opinion about the "Classic Petra" tour on my blog. I thought it was time since it looks like this is really going to happen. Anyway...it's just my opinion (a long one). Don't get mad at me. Here is the link http://blog.centralcityonline.org/ . Check it out and let me know what you think.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 am

I left you a comment for your approval.
0 x

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 am

Believe me...I'm psyched about the tour. It comes at a great time and I do think they have an opportunity to complete some unfinished business. And it will be great for Christian music. I am one of those guys that go back to that era. There was a level of excitement and commitment to the band that is hard to describe. This tour will be great. I just had to air out a few things so I could actually enjoy it. It came out sounding a little more critical than I think I intended.

One specific comment. The version of Petra that was touring at the end was not really Petra. All of us fans knew it, people knew it, and that is why it was not viable. But it was not because of John. The reality is if Bob doesn't retire in 1994/95, and if other band member changes were kept to a minimum/handled differently, the band still keeps it's audience. The constant changing is what made it a joke. They should have done a farewell with the dream team lineup and the whole brand would have been kept valuable.

But my final opinion for Classic Petra is that if you drop John into that lineup and make Greg a "special guest", you have something even more special and more sellable across the board. It could have been "Classic Petra with special guest Greg Volz'. Now there would have been something special.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:35 am

You make some good points, Dave. I have an account there, I'll subscribe to your posts.
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 am

I am not sure if John will join Classic Petra.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 am

JMBJR72 wrote:I am not sure if John will join Classic Petra.
I would not put my money on it. I think that people are missing the point. The point is for THESE players and these players alone to celebrate their mission and their music with Petra. Johns has been celebrated and is still being celebrated. Besides this, if John WANTED to play with this incarnation, all he would have to do is call Louie for their next reunion show instead of using that drummer they are using now.

The impression I get is that Greg is driving the Classic Petra thing, and Bob/John is driving the current Petra thing.
0 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 am

Dave, your post is great and I agree with you in many points.
daveferrari wrote: But my final opinion for Classic Petra is that if you drop John into that lineup and make Greg a "special guest", you have something even more special and more sellable across the board. It could have been "Classic Petra with special guest Greg Volz'. Now there would have been something special.
I totally agree!
I really like Greg, but when I became a fan of Petra John already was the lead singer.
My favorite song is John who sings.
Greg was very important for the band, no doubt, but Petra has grown in many respects after the entrance of John.

Now, talking about the possibility of a new CD, I can not imagine a new CD in 2010 without John Schlitt on lead vocals!

Just my opinion!
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 am

daveferrari wrote:Believe me...I'm psyched about the tour. It comes at a great time and I do think they have an opportunity to complete some unfinished business. And it will be great for Christian music. I am one of those guys that go back to that era. There was a level of excitement and commitment to the band that is hard to describe. This tour will be great. I just had to air out a few things so I could actually enjoy it. It came out sounding a little more critical than I think I intended.

One specific comment. The version of Petra that was touring at the end was not really Petra. All of us fans knew it, people knew it, and that is why it was not viable. But it was not because of John. The reality is if Bob doesn't retire in 1994/95, and if other band member changes were kept to a minimum/handled differently, the band still keeps it's audience. The constant changing is what made it a joke. They should have done a farewell with the dream team lineup and the whole brand would have been kept valuable.

But my final opinion for Classic Petra is that if you drop John into that lineup and make Greg a "special guest", you have something even more special and more sellable across the board. It could have been "Classic Petra with special guest Greg Volz'. Now there would have been something special.
Just read your blog Dave.... somehow that's exactly what i think but couldn't put into words! it's the most thought out thing I have read about Petra from a fans perspective, please let us know when your next update is.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Dave, your blog was great - I loved it!! Especially about Judas Kiss - I've always liked it better by John, also It is Finished. That would be perfect if it could be as you said, classic (with John) and special guest Greg. Maybe someday.

Thanks Brent for your explanation that Greg is driving the classic thing, it makes more sense now.
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 pm

I just read the blog, really all we have is a guy who Loves John and dislikes Greg.

He stated; "Am I supposed to buy something billed as “Classic Petra” that will not include songs like Beyond Belief, He Came He Saw He Conquered, Dance, or No Doubt (Hate the album, love the song)? Those songs are “Classic Petra”. It is an injustice to the legacy of the band to be called “Classic” without those songs."

I disagree, those songs are classic songs, but to me they are not "Classics". Songs like Beat The System, Graverobber, Pied Piper, More Power To Ya, Why Should The Father Bother these are Classic Petra songs.
If you play songs from the Volz era, people remember those songs more than they do the newer stuff.

He also made the statement, "But to call something “Classic Petra” without John Schlitt involved, to me is shameful. And let's face it...I associate John with most of the Volz era songs now anyway"
My question to him is WHY? The only Volz era song that Petra did on a regular basis is Judas Kiss. If you want to talk about IIGuys then yes John did a lot of Volz Era songs.

"I have had dreams of John Schlitt singing Volz era songs." That says it all to me.

I say "Classic Petra with no special guest"
Last edited by shawnpfan2010 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 pm

One more little thing I would like to point out. The "Classic Petra" lineup 40 shows so far, the "nonFarewell" lineup 5 to 6 shows.
0 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I think the difference in number of shows is perhaps because people are more involved in publicizing and working in the Classic Tour and not in Farewell lineup.
Maybe if Ferewell lineup had all this effort, new site on the Internet only about the tour, the number could increase significantly.

I am very happy with this classic tour!
But for me Petra Classic should be with John on vocals.

This Classic lineup is perfect, It's really a dream.
But I would replace Greg by John.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I just read the blog, really all we have is a guy who Loves John and dislikes Greg. He also made the statement, "But to call something “Classic Petra” without John Schlitt involved, to me is shameful. And let's face it...I associate John with most of the Volz era songs now anyway"
My question to him is WHY? The only Volz era song that Petra did on a regular basis is Judas Kiss. If you want to talk about IIGuys then yes John did a lot of Volz Era songs
That is totally not the case. I love Greg. Some of my best Petra memories are of him with Petra. I thought the best part of the Farewell taping was Graverobber. You could just feel the energy in the room elevate. I have missed Greg since he left. But for the last 25 years it has been John.

There were Volz era songs that John did at the beginning of his tenure that I think of as well (Judas Kiss was more a recent thing). I think John owned Second Wind during the Back to the Street and This Means War Tours. Annie during This Means War was amazing! Another highlight for me was Voice in the Wind during God Fixation. John also is did Adonai during Back to the Street which I don't think Greg ever performed live. Adonai was the highlight of BTTS tour for me. Those are just a few.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Not knocking the classic Petra, I am looking forward to that but just imagine if the dream team Petra did a reunion!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!