What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Talk about reunions have cropped up here from time to time; there's nothing new about that. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
0 x

shawnpfan01
Pethead
Pethead

Re: i

Post by shawnpfan01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:21 pm

executioner wrote:I would be surprised if any of this is legit. The history between Bob and Greg is strained at best. Can anyone confirm any of this. Sent Bob an email a couple of days ago asking about this and this was his reply. Bob always has replied to my emails and there usually very short and to the point.

nope

blessings,
Bob
Where did you hear that Bob and Greg have a strained history. My god, every one in this band seems to hate eachother or has a problem with someone, at least acording to most people on this site, who seem to know every intimate detail about the bands personal friendships. Bob and Greg seemed to get along fine at the Farewell tapings, joking with eachother, and having a good time. I'm sure it's all just for the cameras though, I'm sure they went out back after the taping and had it out in the parking lot.

Maybe Bob wants to iron out all the details before he starts saying yes to everyones e-mails they send him asking him about it.
0 x

shawnpfan01
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 pm

One more thing, if it happens, it happens, if it dosen't, oh well!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:37 pm

You make a good point Shawn...There's been talk around here for a long time about issues between band members too. Whatever may have happened between the band members is probably more of an issue for the fans than it is for the band members at this point. :wink:
0 x

shawnpfan01
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Thank you Shell.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:47 pm

shawnpfan01 wrote: Maybe Bob wants to iron out all the details before he starts saying yes to everyones e-mails they send him asking him about it.
That sounds more like it, the press release is real.. so sit tight.

Bob and Greg fighting in the car park lol.

I hope Bob doesn't come to this site anymore... we're all like a bunch of gossiping ladies at a knitting club.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm

shawnpfan01 wrote:
executioner wrote:I would be surprised if any of this is legit. The history between Bob and Greg is strained at best. Can anyone confirm any of this. Sent Bob an email a couple of days ago asking about this and this was his reply. Bob always has replied to my emails and there usually very short and to the point.

nope

blessings,
Bob
Where did you hear that Bob and Greg have a strained history. My god, every one in this band seems to hate eachother or has a problem with someone, at least acording to most people on this site, who seem to know every intimate detail about the bands personal friendships. Bob and Greg seemed to get along fine at the Farewell tapings, joking with eachother, and having a good time. I'm sure it's all just for the cameras though, I'm sure they went out back after the taping and had it out in the parking lot.

Maybe Bob wants to iron out all the details before he starts saying yes to everyones e-mails they send him asking him about it.
Some like me have been listening to the band since Never Say Die and it is common knowledge in the CCM industry during the 80's that Greg and JDB were both told they were no longer needed in the band. The two sole reasons why CITAS was produced and made was Bob had to fulfill Petra's contract obligation with JDB and also to pay off some debt that Petra was in.
Actually if you want to know John had already put down the vocals for BTTS before CITAS was filmed and produced. Bob was clearly quoted in at least one interview in CCM saying "I felt the band needed to go in a different direction and get back to to what Petra was known for" hence the title Back To The Street. This quote to me shows Bob made the decision to change the lineup.
Talk to Brent and maybe some others around here that were around in the 80's with Petra and you will find out that Petra was Bob Hartman and four hired musicians.
Also go back and watch the Farewell DVD and not one time will you ever see anything with Bob and Greg together and also look at the mannerisms and both of them on stage, they won't even look at each other.
BTW I make my living off of watching people on how the talk, use their hands when talking, and also a host of other mannerisms to come to some conclusions like if their lying, depressed, motivated, and facial expressions to what their truly believe and think. My professional opinion from the Farewell taping(I was there) was Bob and Greg tolerated being around each other just for the gig and the gig only.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 pm

danielaussie wrote:
shawnpfan01 wrote: Maybe Bob wants to iron out all the details before he starts saying yes to everyones e-mails they send him asking him about it.
That sounds more like it, the press release is real.. so sit tight.

Bob and Greg fighting in the car park lol.

I hope Bob doesn't come to this site anymore... we're all like a bunch of gossiping ladies at a knitting club.
Even though I'm not a huge fan of Greg's I still hope this gets going. I would like to see this lineup on stage again. I hope they can get Mark Kelly involved in this.
I just recieved a reply from the promoter(gregcarnesproductions.com) that is putting this together and he said its going to be a Sept/Oct 2010 thing, all parties have shown an interest but not all have made the full commitment as of yet, but it is almost a go. He said they are desparetly looking for churches and other like venues to show an interest. So contact him if you know of a hosting party.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Mark is a huge key to Petra's early sound, i hope that he is involved.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:20 pm

executioner wrote: Also go back and watch the Farewell DVD and not one time will you ever see anything with Bob and Greg together and also look at the mannerisms and both of them on stage, they won't even look at each other. BTW I make my living off of watching people on how the talk, use their hands when talking, and also a host of other mannerisms to come to some conclusions like if their lying, depressed, motivated, and facial expressions to what their truly believe and think. My professional opinion from the Farewell taping(I was there) was Bob and Greg tolerated being around each other just for the gig and the gig only.
Okay, that’s your opinion and you have as much right to your opinion as anyone. I don't dispute you know what you're talking about; you could very well be right. But you might want to keep in mind that you observed them in a certain setting for a limited length of time. Just because you didn't see them look at each other when they were on stage doesn't mean they didn't have contact when you couldn't see them. It’s a lot easier to read someone when you’re sitting in the same room with them one-on-one over time than it is watching a concert from the audience. You can only get a limited take at best about what could be going on from what you see at a concert.

Whatever the case, all that stuff happened a long time ago. Who’s to say they haven’t chosen to put whatever issues they may have had behind them and make whatever peace they need to make? They did work together for ten years or so. That’s a long time to work together and then carry grudges for the rest of their lives. My opinion is the fans tend to make more out of whatever issues they may have then the band members do.
0 x

shawnpfan01
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:09 pm

So just want to clarify what you are saying. At the end of Graverobber when Bob is switching out his guitars, and Greg is looking over at him, because Bob didn't look back at him and give him a big thumbs up, that means that they have a grudge with eachother?? :?

Also didn't Bob ask Greg to join Petra and be the lead singer? I also recall Bob saying that the Beat the System tour was one of the highest grossing tours in Petra's history, I know that I would want to get rid of the guy who help make that happen and go with an unknown singer who was horrible his first year. :shock: I thought that Greg had been wanting to go solo for some time, and that is why he left, but what do I know I was growing up in the 80's and didn't really follow Petra back then.

Also I would love to see the CCM articles that you quoted to see the context of the statement Bob made.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:12 pm

With cautious expectation I await the news of concert dates. I hope this includes the classic line up including Mark Kelly, with JDB producing a new record. I can live without the shows if I have a new record.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:10 am

brent wrote:With cautious expectation I await the news of concert dates. I hope this includes the classic line up including Mark Kelly, with JDB producing a new record. I can live without the shows if I have a new record.
That's in interesting point, they could very well record something. Greg, Bob & JL all have studios they could easily put something together.

Looks like an interesting year ahead, and it sure has stirred everyone up.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 am

Petra was truly one of the most influential Christian bands in their
time
. We all know that Petra had a bloody head by being who they were and doing what they did. This put pressure on the guys. Combine that pressure with the pressure and tension all bands experience and it can be a pressure cooker. On the flip side, they were all truly blessed and rewarded for their work like no other band.

Christian bands change personnel for the same reasons secular bands do plus other reasons common to Christian bands. Just because Bob asked Greg to play ONCE, does not mean that Greg wanted to do it always, or that Bob wanted him to do it always. Things change. Louie and John are good examples of how things and people change. These changes do not always mean that the guys are not Christian, do not like what the others did for the band, did for themselves, etc. It doesn't mean that they have to dislike each other forever either.

Don't read a bunch into the eye contact on the DVD. Bob is not a real contact guy in concert from what I have observed He doesn't show much emotion, and makes few expressions. Bob has never been a theatrical player. He does what he does staying pretty stationary with a limited amount of choreography. I imagine Bob had a million things going through his mind that night anyway. If I were up there, I would have been thinking about the song, how it was written, all of the events surrounding that song, etc, etc.

I have had some discussions off-line about Greg. People ask, "Who would know him now and who would care?" These are also hardcore John fans that didn't GET the original Petra. I have maintained that there are more people out there with money, who know and loved the Greg version, that would pay to see the 1983 version than the last version. The fact that Petra retired and did not sell well is an indicator. The fact that Greg performs more all over the world is another.

I hope promoters buy in. They should. Whiteheart, Sweet Comfort, DeGarmo & Key, etc have reunited. It is time to cash in.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

I Agree

Post by BForm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:19 pm

" People ask, "Who would know him now and who would care?" These are also hardcore John fans that didn't GET the original Petra. I have maintained that there are more people out there with money, who know and loved the Greg version, that would pay to see the 1983 version than the last version."

Brent. You've just said what I've been thinking for a long time but just didn't feel like stirring things up. I know far more people that were fans of the early 80's Petra but fell out in disgust after Greg left than I know fans of the later years. I'm with you. I think a GXV lineup would bring people out that haven't been to a concert in years.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper