john Schlitt in Lees Summit, MO

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

john Schlitt in Lees Summit, MO

Post by brent » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:22 am

Bullet points:

1. The venue staff are nice guys, have a good heart and mean well, but good night "fellers"....1.5 hours of opening band and 45 minutes of John? Come on. To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "That ain't right!" John is going on in 30 minutes to help lead worship and speak this morning.
2. Packed house. SRO in the back. Too many tables, not enough chairs.
3. KLove and Air1 were there. Funny. Neither play John or Petra here. Neither pimped the show. They are blood suckers and I think it is justified that their tables saw little action. Up theirs. :)
4. John spoke between every song almost. He shared basically the same points that are hot buttons for his ministry since The Grafting, but in new ways. He was very well received by the crowd. John was very animated and expressionistic in his own likable passionate-John ways.
5. The lighting person was way too active. Lights did not match the music AT ALL. They have no white light, all red, green and blue, which makes for a dark stage.
6. John's set-list was very good. There was not much rock. It was pretty much the same set-list he has done here, only this time he was not sick and he was bang-in out some impressive notes. There were a few songs that were giving him grief, but that was not on him I suspect. I told Sue before the show that we have had record high pollen counts this week. There are crowds of people with sinus issues here. It was amazing to me that John was able to sing and talk as long as he did with no Coke, his stage drink of choice. (Most singers wouldn't think of doing that, but it seems to not be a problem for big John.)
7. John sat comfortably while he spoke and sang. It would have been nice to have had some lighting that was a little more intimate to fit the mood.
8. They gave John a crappy mic stand and boom arm. He went to pull the mic out of the saddle and the boom popped off and the stand fell over. He had fun with it. His music stand was also very loose. He about lost his MP3 player and set-list, but he quickly recovered and the crowd applauded. Pretty darn quick.
9. I know what John sounded like in his early years. He has more texture and grit in his voice now. I actually like that. But more than anything, as John ages and grows closer to God, you can tell that he cannot pack enough emotion in to his songs to relay what he feels. It appears to me that he appreciates and believes the words and spirit of the songs he sings now, more than ever. It is like John is singing for his life. That is the way it ought to be in Christian music.
10. John said that he just turned 60. Each year I hear of my cultural icons passing away. It saddens me to think that one day there will be a world with no John Schlitt, that his voice will be silent aside from CDs. My wife and I discussed how great John looks, sounds and is active for someone as old as our parents. Comparatively John is mid 40s, early 50s. The words he sings and the faith he holds are surely life to his bones.
11. I had a daughter at a prom and promised my friends that I would not put them off any longer and would go experience their concert. So, I was a bit tired and did not make it in to see John today. I wish I would have.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: john Schlitt in Lees Summit, MO

Post by brent » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Video snippits of the show are posted on PDCs Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-D ... 6851641977
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Nice vids, considering they were taken with a camera. Thanks for sharing!

1. The venue staff are nice guys, have a good heart and mean well, but good night "fellers"....1.5 hours of opening band and 45 minutes of John?

They only gave him 45 minutes??? What?? I told them not to have SUCH a long time for openers... it wasn't supposed to be that much.

3. KLove and Air1 were there. Funny. Neither play John or Petra here. Neither pimped the show. They are blood suckers and I think it is justified that their tables saw little action. Up theirs. :)

Hehehe... that's Brent. Tell it like it is! lol

5. The lighting person was way too active. Lights did not match the music AT ALL. They have no white light, all red, green and blue, which makes for a dark stage.

It was that way the last time too. I had a real hard time getting good photos that night.

6. John's set-list was very good. There was not much rock. It was pretty much the same set-list he has done here, only this time he was not sick and he was bang-in out some impressive notes. There were a few songs that were giving him grief, but that was not on him I suspect. I told Sue before the show that we have had record high pollen counts this week. There are crowds of people with sinus issues here. It was amazing to me that John was able to sing and talk as long as he did with no Coke, his stage drink of choice. (Most singers wouldn't think of doing that, but it seems to not be a problem for big John.)

No soda? What? Where did it go? They've had John before, and it's in his rider to have it on stage.

8. They gave John a crappy mic stand and boom arm. He went to pull the mic out of the saddle and the boom popped off and the stand fell over. He had fun with it. His music stand was also very loose. He about lost his MP3 player and set-list, but he quickly recovered and the crowd applauded. Pretty darn quick.

The type of mic stand is in his rider too....

9. I know what John sounded like in his early years. He has more texture and grit in his voice now. I actually like that. But more than anything, as John ages and grows closer to God, you can tell that he cannot pack enough emotion in to his songs to relay what he feels. It appears to me that he appreciates and believes the words and spirit of the songs he sings now, more than ever. It is like John is singing for his life. That is the way it ought to be in Christian music.

Amen! Speaking from experience - as you get older, you see more of life and learn to appreciate the Lord and all He's done in a greater and deeper way. That can't help but come out when you have a platform - and a passion - such as John has.

10. John said that he just turned 60. Each year I hear of my cultural icons passing away. It saddens me to think that one day there will be a world with no John Schlitt, that his voice will be silent aside from CDs.

Nooooo.... don't say that.... Since John is 12 years older than me, I know the day will come when he'll leave first to be with the Lord. I can't even begin to imagine the emptiness...

My wife and I discussed how great John looks, sounds and is active for someone as old as our parents. Comparatively John is mid 40s, early 50s. The words he sings and the faith he holds are surely life to his bones.

Amen!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

John is healthy; I think chances are good he'll be around for at least another 20 or even 30 years. But, yeah, it is hard to think of losing those we care about.

Life is so uncertain; the only constant is God. We'd probably all do well to live every moment as if it could be our last.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Great concert review Brent - thanks! It's hilarious that he can drink coke without burping while singing.

About this: "It saddens me to think that one day there will be a world with no John Schlitt, " ...maybe not! The rapture or whatever end times scenario is going to happen - could happen first! I hope!!

A HUGE AMEN!!!!! to this, Sue:

"Speaking from experience - as you get older, you see more of life and learn to appreciate the Lord and all He's done in a greater and deeper way."
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 pm

There will also come a day that there will be a world with no Bob Hartman , Louie Weaver, Ronny Cates., Mark Kelley., Greg X Volz, John Lawry, Greg Hough, Bill Glover, John Degroff, Rob Fraizer, Jim Cooper, John Slick, Lonny Chapin, Pete Orta, Kevin Brandow, Paul Simmons, Greg Bailey and so on and so forth.

LIFE will go on folks!!
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Life always goes on... but it's a bit more difficult without your close friends.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:47 pm

At least we will be seeing them again!
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm

sue d. wrote:Life always goes on... but it's a bit more difficult without your close friends.
For you Sue, I can understand. John is a close friend. For most of the rest of us here (I'm not sure how close Brent and John are), John isn't a confidant or even acquaintance. While death is sad, I've never understood mourning the death of a celebrity you don't know on a personal basis.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 pm

While I can't say I've ever mourned a celebrity's death - I do understand why some people do.

Even though they don't know the person - they still feel they have a connection to him/her through their music, their persona, their life, etc. It's an emotional connection, even though there is no REAL physical connection to speak of.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:29 pm

sue d. wrote:While I can't say I've ever mourned a celebrity's death - I do understand why some people do.

Even though they don't know the person - they still feel they have a connection to him/her through their music, their persona, their life, etc. It's an emotional connection, even though there is no REAL physical connection to speak of.
Example: Micheal Jackson, Elvis.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Elvis is NOT dead. Anyone in Nashville knows Elvis is working at a donut shop, the Waffle House by the airport and Burger King. Soon you guys will be telling me that Santa is not real. Don't jack with me now.
0 x