John Slick

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: John Slick

Post by curt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Daniel

I believe you're right. I just made some further research and when I went back to the forum to write what I had found, you had already found it. As far as I can see, it is very likely that it is him.

Curt
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm

That's him.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Is he still a Christian? It seems that for him Ministry was weird?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:41 am

Like Tolstoy said, he could move left to right, even to the ditch. The ditch is not another road. We can't say some is no longer a Christian. God finishes his work.

He will not talk much about it. But, from what he has said, he saw things as I do, that the commerce of Jesus is a funky thing. Jesus music was ministry. It was free. It as anti-commercial. Then it became popular and was commercialized, and most of the founders were soon left behind..
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 am

brent wrote:Like Tolstoy said, he could move left to right, even to the ditch. The ditch is not another road. We can't say some is no longer a Christian. God finishes his work.

He will not talk much about it. But, from what he has said, he saw things as I do, that the commerce of Jesus is a funky thing. Jesus music was ministry. It was free. It as anti-commercial. Then it became popular and was commercialized, and most of the founders were soon left behind..
Amen. There was a time when I only listened to Christian Rock, mostly Petra. I would seek it out buy tapes/cds that I had never heard before because you could generally trust that it would be chocked full of TRUTH.

Today even P&W is a "cool kids club". I rarely if ever listen to ANY CCM. I don't care for it. Used to go to concerts and festivals all the time. Now....meh.

I would love to see an under ground revival of the old school mentality in Christian music.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:38 am

Slick:

Do you have any updates for us on what's going on in your life?
(2003) I quit music in 1988 for a career in computers, and wish I'd quit sooner. I did graduate study in computer science at Harvard University, worked in the M.I.T. engineering community in Cambridge MA. I now live on Old Hickory lake in Hendersonville TN.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 pm

If John Slick didn't care for CCM then why did he stay as long as he did? Why join a band at all?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 pm

He did like it at one time. Nobody twisted his arm.

It's like a bad dinner. Good friends go to eat at a posh place known for good food, the service gets progressively poor, the food is served cold....something bad happened and THEN they decide it was a bad night. They could not see the future. They intended to have good fellowship, good food, but things happened that changed it from what it could have been. That's it. Things changed for him and the band.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

It's such a shame that CCM left a bad taste in his mouth, he was such a talent. John Lawry at one time said that Slick ran circles around him when it came to talent.
Slick was also a very strong song writer; He wrote my 2 favs on NOTW, Not by Sight and Occupy
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 am

crossways wrote:
brent wrote:Like Tolstoy said, he could move left to right, even to the ditch. The ditch is not another road. We can't say some is no longer a Christian. God finishes his work.

Amen. There was a time when I only listened to Christian Rock, mostly Petra. I would seek it out buy tapes/cds that I had never heard before because you could generally trust that it would be chocked full of TRUTH.

Today even P&W is a "cool kids club". I rarely if ever listen to ANY CCM. I don't care for it. Used to go to concerts and festivals all the time. Now....meh.

I would love to see an under ground revival of the old school mentality in Christian music.
Some of this is going on, but on a very small scale. There are some Christian bands out there that are getting together to see if they can do it again. Most of these bands are going the way of independant instead of trying to sign on with a label. There are rumors I saw that one of my favorite bands Rez is looking at a tour and maybe new material sometime next year. Them and Bloodgood have talked about doing a small tour through Europe. BTW Bloodgood is huge in Eastern Europe, They play sell out shows over there everytime they go.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!