Petra's musical influences

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Petra's musical influences

Post by curt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 am

I've always wondered who Petra's musical influences were. There is a clips about this on John Schlitt's homepage: http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/video3.htm

The presentation of the clip says: "Every band has musical influences. Even Petra!"

Now my problem is that something appears to be wrong with this clip so I've never been able to hear them talk about their influences.

They seemed pretty mainstream during the years of the dream team. But quite a lot of things happened during Petra's entire history, with lots of different sounds and genres being tested. I think it's a bit funny that the text says "Even Petra!" as if Petra played a very special music never heard before or anywhere else. I only know of one rockband that has created a very, very unique sound which is almost out of comparison with any other band, and that's Pink Floyd. They created a unique universe of sounds. At least on their most beautiful tracks.

Anyway back to the subject: Perhads some of you might have some interesting information on Petra's influences? And perhaps some of you might argue that I'm wrong in thinking that the dream team was quite main stream?
0 x

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Re: Petra's musical influences

Post by SCJ-7 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:25 pm

curt wrote: I think it's a bit funny that the text says "Even Petra!" as if Petra played a very special music never heard before or anywhere else.

OK, Petra don't invented Music, Petra don't invented Christian Music, Petra don't invented Rock Music, Petra don't invented Christian Rock Music and possibly they don't invented any Music Style... BUT they walked the Tough Road that many bands were unwilling to walk for many reasons. They took many hits in that road but they continued to walk with their music and preaching the Gospel with that songs. And, today they are still walking in that road... Petra definitely is a special band. The form that they united or combined Rock Music with Christian Messages is just fantastic... Just listen to their music... 8)
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm

I have no idea what Bob was listening to when he created Petra, but in listening to first couple albums, I hear similarities to the Eagles, Allman Brothers Band, Doobie Brothers, America, etc. Maybe Dylan, Jimmy Reed, Yardbirds...I unno.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Post by petrabandca » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Vocally I think John sounded a little like Rod Stewart.
I always hear a little Rod in Hand on My Heart.

I think for the most part they would have been influenced by many of the typical bands back then.
You had Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Dylan, Crosby Stills Nash and yes Neil Young.

The list goes on and on.

Who didn't influence them...the music was so fresh back then.
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

guitardude68
Pethead
Pethead

Post by guitardude68 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm

This is my humble opinion. But, here goes: In the beginning...As in the first Petra album....I hear The Allman Bros, Neil Young and early KISS. Toward the mid-eighties I hear Kansas and Journey among others. Toward the end of the eighties and early nineties I hear hear Skid Row, KISS, Foriener (sp?) and Journey...Then in recent times I hear your typical drop-D grunge rock. Also, is it my imagination or does John Schlitt sound like Vince Neil of Motley Crue??? Anyway....I love Petra and bottom line is that they have a very classic rock feel with a very positive and God honoring message. For me...My favorite bands are Petra, Phil Keaggy, Keith Green, Rich Mullins, Steven Curtis Chapman, Newsboys and Tree 63 (Miss them!!!).

God Bless you,

Mark
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Put your ear phones on, close your eyes and sit there and listen to Hit You Where You Live and Mine Field and don't tell me that John doesn't sound like Brian Johnson from ACDC.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

guitardude68
Pethead
Pethead

Post by guitardude68 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Funny! Yep. John's got that classic "gravely" voice doesn't he? It cleans up pretty good when he want's it to though. Do you hear the Vince Neil likeness? Or is it just me??

I hope that John's next solo cd will be more of a rock sound.

Mark
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Petra's always been upfront about their decision to change styles with the norms of rock music and in interviews explicitly mentioned Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagon, among others, as bands they felt they needed to equal or exceed in both album and show quality to reach the youth of that particular time.

Bob has spoken about Larry Norman's affect on his decision to play rock music as a new Christian, though I don't believe he mentioned Norman as a musical influence so much as a philosophical one. Petra played shows with "e," which was fairly possible in what passed for Christian rock circles back in the early 1970s. e was led by a vocalist you may have heard of: Greg X. Volz. One of e's band members wrote a song you also may have heard before: "The Coloring Song." So if any band played a significant influence on Petra, I'd go with that one, but not in the way the original poster probably meant.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.