God Fixation, for now?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Re: God Fixation, for now?

Post by lucianotaz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

God Fixation in my opinion, is the worse Petra album of all times !!!

I like very much Elefante´s Production. I can´t believe they have produced that album !!!

But I need to agree that even been the worse Petra album in my opinion, it´s better than the albums of today (If I have to die for Someone and Set of Life are amazing songs) and really if you say that it was recorded last month, a lot of people would believe.
0 x

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

OK, God Fixation it's not an Earth-shaking-mega-boom-blaster-stereo-destroyer-metallic-hard-rock-album... but... well, just read these words:

"And I am glad that You are not at all like me, 'Cause You laid down Your life and did it willingly. It still amazes me to know, it's me that You were thinking of. No one else could have a greater love...A greater love..."

That's not about Rock Music... it's about the Real Rock... and it's in the God Fixation Album...
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 pm

I think lyrically, GF might be Petra's best work. Musically, I'm meh about it. A Matter of Time is the only song that gets added to my "best of" playlist, but I do enjoy "If I Had to..." and "St. Augustine's..." Most of the songs are inoffensive, but I don't find much of the album memorable. Except "Hello Again," which I find annoying.

I agree though that it should have been far better appreciated when it came out. Word was going through the motions until the end of the contract. The album was well reviewed, and "Die" should absolutely have been a hit AC single. Had Petra been on Inpop (of course Inpop did not yet exist, which makes that a bit difficult), I think the album would have been more popular and more appreciated for what it was. As it was, it actually received pretty good reviews from the secular press -- the Dallas Morning News and Minneapolis Star-Tribune both hailed it as a fresh look from the band.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Vic
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Vic » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 am

Well, firstly, GF is the album that officially introduced me to Petra, though the first record that heard.

Notwithstanding, I still find GF to be lyrically superior to all other albums. Production-wisely, I find excellent, better that WUC, but of course will not satisfy many a crunch-hungry fans.

WUC has great songs but the weak mixing let the whole album down, like the way the solo of Underneath the Blood (or is it?) killed and buried the whole song.
0 x