New Release Information

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

New Release Information

Post by RockOn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:13 pm

PETRA LINEUP TAKES MUSIC ‘BACK TO THE ROCK’

New Album Heads For Advance Digital Release November 16, 2010 – Classic Petra LLC and September Productions are pleased to announce the forthcoming release of Back To The Rock, the new album from CCM and Christian Rock pioneers Classic Petra. Featuring stunning new recordings of some of the band’s most legendary songs (plus two all-new tracks), Back To The Rock brings together the Petra lineup of Bob Hartman, Mark Kelly, John Lawry, Greg X. Volz and Louie Weaver that changed music history with landmark albums like the GRAMMY® nominated Beat The System and the acclaimed live album Captured In Time and Space. Armed with an arsenal of smash hits, the Classic Petra lineup returns now to spark a new music revolution, while continuing the storied legacy of one of Christian music’s most-loved and best-selling bands. Back To The Rock will be available in advance digital release exclusively from classicpetra.com and the band’s social networks beginning November 16, 2010. Worldwide release in digital and compact disc formats will follow shortly thereafter. The digital advance release will make available the entire album for download in all popular audio formats, including MP3, CD-quality WAV format and superior-to-CD quality FLAC. Select tracks will also be made available for social media streaming. Get the latest updates at the Classic Petra Official Site at classicpetra.com, or follow Classic Petra on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: New Release Information

Post by Jan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Cool. I had never heard of FLAC, that sounds interesting. I love your new picture - your kids are so cute!!
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 am

FLAC is nice because it has the flexibility to allow you to convert the files into any type of file you want. I don't know much more than that.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:04 am

I wanted to attach two .pdf files, but "The extension .pdf is not allowed". Oh well. You can find those two documents yourself via the twitter feed.

This is what the guys at dPulse (they released Greg's solo release God Only Knows) say:
"We are assisting the band with such things as social media, press and digital distribution. The album is officially self-released by the band under Classic Petra LLC and is not a dPulse release, we are assisting in areas where we can be of help."

Here are the official twitter feed and myspace page.

http://twitter.com/classicpetra
http://www.myspace.com/classicpetra
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 am

FLAC is not a marketing thing.

Most commercially sold digital music is in MP3 format. The MP3 codec looks at two identical frequencies on the L and R channels and throws one away to save space. When you play it back the one kept is split to the left and right, which is why bass sounds like crap on MP3. The ends of waves are cut. Data is lost. MP3s can never sound like a CD. When you buy a MP3, you listen to the file you downloaded.

FLAC is an open source codec for lossless audio compression and decompression. You can convert and save any digital music file to any format in your playback software. That has nothing to do with FLAC. When you buy a FLAC file, you cannot listen to it. You will have to download and install the free FLAC software, decompress the file, and then you will be able to play it, burn it to disc, etc. You cannot buy a FLAC file and just open it up on an MP3 player.

AAC from Apple is arguably the best. More people have PCs, so FLAC is viewed as the best way to go.
0 x

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 am

Thank you, Jan!

Our little boy was born on September the 15th. He was 5 weeks premature but he's doing great!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 am

I heard there's going to be some lawsuit on the use of mp3 something about royalties not being paid for the format
Last edited by bakersfieldpethead on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 am

if it costs the same, download FLAC!
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 am

There have been lots of people going after each other over MP3s, for and against. MP3 was developed by Fraunhofer-Gesellshaft. It is free to use.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:22 pm

FLAC has been around for years, and it rocks. There are many free FLAC decoders available.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah I've heard about Flac before. I've seen it used in some online stores.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"