Angel of Light and Grave Robber Now Added to Samples

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Angel of Light and Grave Robber Now Added to Samples

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Now Michael Sweet is an all different person. That last album Stryper did was just sick. Michael just went up on those notes like they were nothing.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 pm

He was good on the last album, but it still ain't what he had when he was young.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:10 pm

To me John at his best: You Are I Am, I Love The Lord (my favorite Petra song of all time), This Means War, All Fired Up, Perfect World, Lovely Lord.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

There is a common belief in the industry that having someone sing to the limits of their range is exciting and more emotional than not. I think it does sound good most of the time. But people should, IMO, record singing lower than they are capable, thus making it possible to soar live without maxing out the pipes from beginning to end. The singer will not be able to sing that crap forever, everyone will know it and hold it over the guy's head. It is not fair.

I like John's range of yesterday. I like his scruff now.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:42 pm

The scruff of today is what I really like.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm

brent wrote:There is a common belief in the industry that having someone sing to the limits of their range is exciting and more emotional than not. I think it does sound good most of the time. But people should, IMO, record singing lower than they are capable, thus making it possible to soar live without maxing out the pipes from beginning to end. The singer will not be able to sing that crap forever, everyone will know it and hold it over the guy's head. It is not fair.

I like John's range of yesterday. I like his scruff now.
Right on man - amazing how people seem to think that higher is always better. IMHO, both Greg and John have actually gained a bit with their "aged" voices - Greg has a more modern, adult contemporary sound, with plenty of that "Volzness" that he was known for, but without some of the shrill, high soprano notes that, while they may have been just the thing in the 70s (hey - I still like them!), sound a bit absurd to alot of modern listeners.

John in turn has a much thicker, richer tone in his lower range, which is where most of his range is these days - he sounds best when he stays lower and with a powerful rasp, saving the high, soaring notes for the "right place". That's what really made J&H work for me - it's unfortunate that that was their last album and John had to work with a whole lot of the older material (as much as I like it) for the Farewell tour/album - although IMHO he did great, he really wasn't in that groove anymore. Had they continued at least long enough for another album or two they might have had more material that was suited to John's "new" voice. Incidentally, I hope that if John's next solo project is a rocker, he'll stick to a heavier, lower tone and belt it out for "special occasions" to make a real hit.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I agree, while J&H was more rock than anything. Somehow I feel that something harder could have been the next step. With bands like Demon Hunter and Staple out today, I really feel Petra could have really just unleashed some really sick stuff with Bob and John. But I think Peter producing for them wasn't a good idea to begin with, they needed a more Modern Metal producer to help out. And with Paul Simmons on Drums, I think they could have really achieved a more heavey album, that dude can double like no one else.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 am

Yay, Bakersfield just listed two of my favorite modern Christian metal bands. 8)

I think Farewell shows why most live albums are recorded over multiple shows and spliced together. John sounded great when I saw him on that tour in Dallas, which was after the Nashville show. Even my non-Petra-fan friend, who went basically because he was curious more than anything else, said he was surprised how good Petra was on stage, from both a sound and a musicianship perspective. Too bad Inpop wouldn't splurge on recording another show to get a good mix of songs from both...
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am

I'm not saying that either of them sound bad. I still love listening to both of them. Just pointed out the fact that both lost some range from their younger days. I don't care though, they both still sound great to me.
0 x

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2001

Post by axelegend » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I'll admit John sounded a lot better on J&H then he did on Farewell. But the main problem with Farewell was that it was a bad mix to begin with.
When I brought Petra to Youngstown, Ohio for the November 13th stop of its Farewell Tour, John, Bob and I talked about the (then-upcoming) "Farewell" album... Bob mentioned that he wished they could have recorded it later on in the tour, because the band was obviously better rehearsed. John also mentioned that he was feeling sick the night of the "Farewell" taping, and that it was a very rough night on his vocals. For this reason, I don't think "Farewell" is an accurate indicator of John's current vocals and range. On the flip side, knowing that he was sick, I look at John's performance on "Farewell" as an impressive one - we all know examples of vocalists who cannot perform as well, even in full health.

For what it's worth, when they performed at our show, John had no problem at all hitting the high notes - and he was on-key and on fire during the entire performance. One of my helpers who was there (who is also an amazingly gifted singer) made a comment from the front row after John's sustained closing high note of "Judas' Kiss" that "He can sing higher than *I* can!" Perhaps he heard her comment, because immediately afterward he commented on stage, "I know, I know... only GIRLS are supposed to hit that note!" It was a hilarious moment that I'll never forget.

Someday when I actually finish composing and recording my own album, I'd love to look into having John sing on it - because like Brent, I'm a fan of his vocals - present AND past. 8)
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 am

Gee, that could be new job for John right there. If he had or has a home studio, people could send their studio backing tracks and he could add vocals to them. Heck, I have a couple dozen of my own songs that I have professional demos of that he could do that with.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am

He doesn't have a home studio any more, but he DOES have access to a professional recording studio with his producer/son-in-law, Dan Needham.

Backing vocals are a definite possibility - if anyone is seriously interested - drop me an email.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 am

Actually, I meant adding lead vocals to backing tracks, but it would greatly depend on how much he would need to do it.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

I would love to have John sing some of my songs, playing drums for him would be a dream come true also :)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 am

Matthew RJ wrote:Greg had 3 solo projects that were really iffy to me musically, but Greg + Bob in anything Petra, or John + Bob in anything Petra is gold to me.

Heck I'd take Greg or John humming as they shave with Bob strumming a guitar solo in the background and still be happy. What's all the fuss about?

:lol: Thats good.
0 x