Back to The Rock Review

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
loengard
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Back to The Rock Review

Post by loengard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Now that I've downloaded and listened to the entire album through twice, I feel comfortable offering a modest review of what I've heard.

Petra goes Back To The Rock in their new release, and let no one doubt that Petra still has "it" musically and spiritually. This album rocks over all in that "classic rock" vibe Aside from the lone new track, this album is a collection of Petra classics and one Greg X. Volz solo song, but the songs have all been modernized and updated and all in all, I think most Petra fans, especially fans of the Volz era will love this album.

"Too Big To Fail" - Bob's classic lyrics and sound are back on this new cut. This song doesn't suffer from mental comparison that happens with all the other tracks on the album, which is its biggest advantage right off the bat. It sounds good and certainly has the usual Petra vibe to it. 8 out 10.

"Adonai" - Before this release, this was one of the songs I was looking most forward to. I loved the Beat The System original, and I REALLY loved the rendition it was given in the Power Praise Medley. Obviously, that medley wasn't a Petra project, but the blazing guitar sound in that cut really made the song pop. I was hoping that Petra would do something like that with this song. In the end, they split the difference. The guitars are good, but not as much as I'd like and the song suffers from "comparison syndrome". Vocals are good, but not fantastic, although the song is still quite enjoyable. The difference in key doesn't hurt this song and it holds up well in the re-recording. 6 out of 10.

"Angel of Light" - This song rocks. The guitar is great, the solo is great, the new bass line is perfect. This song would sound better if it was a little more up tempo, but the modernization of this song saves it from the '70s sound it was stuck in. Those of us who grew up with it in the '80s liked it, but in did need updating. Vocals on this one aren't bad, but the key change makes it sound even slower than it actually is. It does hold up well, though. 7 out of 10.

"Back To The Rock" - This is a great song. It was good on GXV's solo album and it's better here. Petra fans are disappointed that it's not new, and I'm one of those, but to judge the song fairly, we'll have to ignore our own feelings on this one. The song is solid and sounds good. Vocally, Greg is more comfortable here than on any of the other re-recordings. This song and "Too Big" both have fantastic vocals. 7 our of 10.

"Bema Seat" - This song always BEGGED for a big rock sound. It was good on NOTW, but it always needed more guitar. Bob delivers here. This song doesn't suffer from the key change like Angel of Light does and holds up well in the re-recording. The guitar solo is awesome.... I probably would have lenthened it and cut out the weird "techno-ish" keyboarding just before, but other than that, the song is fantastic on this album. 7 out of 10.

"Clean" - This is another song that begged for a big rock sound. This one is probably the best rocker on the album. There is one section at the 2:15 through 2:21 mark in the song where the keyboard mix is OBVIOUSLY too loud....takes away from the production quality of the song and thus lowers my review score which should be a lot higher. 5 out of 10.

"God Pleaser" - This song is on par with the original, maybe better. The key change actually helps this song sound more "serious". Lyrically, it was always a very powerful song to me. Musically, it is well arranged and comes out well. 7 out of 10.

"Grave Robber" - This is GXV's favorite song, and I do like it, but now we have 4 versions of it. The original from NOTW, CITAS, Farewell, and now BTTR. I think this space would have been better served by a different song. Musically, it's a better arrangement than the original, and the vocals sound good. 5 out of 10.

"Let Everything Praise The Lord" - This is a good modernization to an old classic. Greg sounds good, the guitars sound good. The keyboards are too loud in places again, although not as bad as that segment in Clean. The solo should have been more authentic guitar. 6 out of 10.

"More Power To Ya" - A solid entry on this album. The intro suffers from lack of the keyboard part we've all come to expect. Greg sounds good and the song is still powerful all these years later. 8 out of 10.

"Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows" - I always loved this song. I went to a church that frowned on my long hair and ear ring back in the day, so this song struck a special chord in me and the new version is fantastic - better than the original. 8 out of 10.

"Second Wind" - This one sounds good. A solid rocker for the album. Vocals sound strained in places and the background vocals were too loud in the chorus. The guitar was great and the song is fun to play while exercising. The solo needed to be a guitar solo instead of a keyboard solo, though. Makes it still sound "dated" although updated. 6 out of 10.

Overall 6 out of 10. A very nice album, but it suffers from the inevitable mental comparisons to the original versions. The new song stands up the best because it's new. The others are enjoyable, and I can't wait to see them live, but clearly this is an album for Petheads.

Glad they're back and I hope their sophomore effort has more new songs.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Back to The Rock Review

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Not a bad review. I would agree in some places and disagree in others, but that's why I'll have to write a review of my own.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Very good one, looking forward to reading yours Preacher
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Old guys will be happy with this album. This is a good album for the old fans.
0 x

loengard
Pethead
Pethead

Post by loengard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:01 pm

brent wrote:Old guys will be happy with this album. This is a good album for the old fans.
I think you just called me old.... Yeah... I guess I'm heading that way....
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 pm

:arrow:
0 x

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Well, it's really a good album but with the Back to the Rock song I was expecting something more... well a more powerful song.
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I can certainly understand that.
0 x

prem
Pethead
Pethead

Post by prem » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 am

Thanks for cluing us in to replacing the http with https to get an SSL connection. The bad thing is I had to do this for almost every page through the order process....the initial merch store link and all subsequent links should be set to use https by default.

Now I've got a nice big zip file downloading to my computer....whoo-hoo!

---Prem
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 am

Google has a secure search page if anyone is interested in this for say public places where people sniff the air for packets of interest.
https://www.google.com/
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

So I finally caved in and downloaded the album. Gotta say... I love it. I was alittle worried at first when I heard John Lawry was recording the project, because I remember how the Viktor album sounded, and I hated it. I think it had more to do with the product than the production. But I'm impressed by the big rock sound and the overall production quality. The originals that I liked before I like even more now because of the fatter sound. Thick guitars, mean bass, and Louie's snare has a great balance of crack and body. I'm glad to see these guys have emerged from obscurity and gave us another album. I'm looking forward to more in the future. Thanks guys.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:57 pm

I was alittle worried at first when I heard John Lawry was recording the project, because I remember how the Viktor album sounded, and I hated it. I think it had more to do with the product than the production.
I haven't heard a lot of John L's productions. But what I have heard I Like a lot. John Lawry has had many years with Petra and I would think that he would have some idea of what sounds good and what doesn't. So as far as his productions, I think I can trust he puts good stuff out.

But as Brent and others will tell you, when it comes to recording, your album is only as good as the performer. All the equipment does is capture, there are tools to doctor things up, but if you suck as a musician or singer, your album is going to also suck. You can only doctor it so much before it starts to sound fake.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

BTRPETRAGeorge
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BTRPETRAGeorge » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 pm

i have been listening to the new album nonstop, ive got a cd version in the car and on my iphone and currently listening to it at work. The new songs are great however they lack the guitar flare that is Classic Petra! Overall I really love the album the remade songs are a huge improvement and a complement to the old versions.
I hope that the next album is even better!!
I dont mind the keyboards added, I grew up with a 70's/80's rock influence and prefer going back to that style of music as it had more feel and melody to it than the modern punk influenced style of rock that is mainstream today.
I like what John Elefante did in his last Mastedon album, he incorporated the old melodic rock sound with a modern style recording(what a brilliant album), I hope Petra continues along those lines as these guys arent getting any younger so they should stick to there own style that has always been a classic rock sound!!!

BTRPETRAGeorge
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I hope Petra continues along those lines as these guys arent getting any younger so they should stick to there own style that has always been a classic rock sound!!!
You bring out a good point BTR. One thing Louie said on the Revival DVD is that the way Petra continued on in the 90s is they quit competing. So Petra just needs to be who they are and stop trying to sound like todays bands.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World

Post by jeremywg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 am

I'm hooked on the BTTR. I've been listening to it non-stop for 3 days and I like it more each time I hear it. Favorite album in 15 years.
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."