Hello Petheads... BTTR review and Hello

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rossistheboss
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1989

Hello Petheads... BTTR review and Hello

Post by rossistheboss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:15 am

My name is Ross... I used to come to these boards a lot back in 2001-2004ish when i was in the navy, since then i have been an almost daily lurker.
I recently moved to Nashville and will be going to the show tonight and I am pumped!

I know there's a lot of drama about "John or Greg?" but come on guys, you all have to admit, Greg sounds incredible on this new album. I know they dropped the key a tad on each song, but he really hasn't missed a beat. I've always been more of a John fan, but I am very impressed with Greg on this one.
Overall however, I'd have to say that the album is a 5/10, and the reason I say that is because it could have rocked a lot harder in a lot of areas. Here we are 25 years after Greg left....they reunite... and it has the same kind of sound as NOTW. I don't know why, but it kind of saddens me, it's almost like they decided to really hold back.
Don't get me wrong, the whole album sounds nice and fresh, and there are some serious gems on it (Too Big, Angel of Light, MPTY), but if they make another album, i hope they crank it out.
Im sure the show tonight will rock, and I hope to see some of u there!
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Hello Petheads... BTTR review and Hello

Post by fcollazo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:35 am

Welcome back. See you there.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:09 pm

you are right Greg sounds great. A couple songs should not have been recorded IMO (Clean) but Greg is simply amazing, especially on Grave Robber. There is a horrible soundhe makes on Clean- Man I hate that song.
0 x

jonmcg93
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1985

Post by jonmcg93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 am

I only have ONE complaint about the album. Auto-tune.... I hate it. Greg X made me want to start singing in the first place and I can hear it in most of the songs, and it drives me nuts. I understand thats the reality of music today, and dude is 60 but still. That he can still belt it out so well amazes me, however the music purist in me wants to hear the un-tuned tracks. I know it wasn't around back in the 70/80's (thank the Lord) or it would have been used. I doubt they need to use it but, thats in the vocal handbag of tricks to use, so on it went.

Godpleaser :@ 3:55 and on.... UGH, reminds me of that Cher song.

My favorite song ever, Graverobber : A little in the beginning , but the rest of the song it's dialed back enough that it's not so obvious or is non-existent completely.

Again personal preference... however I've listened to the mp3's from the site for 8 hours a day @ work since I bought them Wednesday.

We have Antares to blame for "popular" music today as it is.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 am

jonmcg93 wrote:I only have ONE complaint about the album. Auto-tune.... I hate it.
I don't hear it anywhere... Especially, nothing like that horrid Cher song. I hear some reverb in Godpleaser at the time indicator you mentioned, but I saw Greg sing live last summer and his voice blew me away.

Here is a sample:

0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

I think they used Auto Tune on one track, just for effect. A lot of people are doing that now. However they use it sometimes on even the best vocals on earth, just to make things a little more tight; it has nothing to do with someones ability to sing.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

jonmcg93
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jonmcg93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I think they used Auto Tune on one track, just for effect. A lot of people are doing that now. However they use it sometimes on even the best vocals on earth, just to make things a little more tight; it has nothing to do with someones ability to sing.

No where did I say it had anything to do with his ability to sing, as a fan of the man, and having corresponded back and forth with him over the years via email and in person a couple times, believe me when I say that is the furthest thing from my mind. As other said, and I think I mentioned it's the industry standard, it helps level the playing field. For Greg, I think it was used to add more "oomph" to the recording. Having been a singer for the better part of my life (30+years) and playing/singing (secular and church) in bands for 20+ years I know the difference in more traditional vocal effects (eg. reverb and chorus etc.) and auto-tune. It's subtle but it's there on most of the tracks.

It is highly possible they decided to do it just to make it more current sounding.

Either that or my sennheisers are not giving me a true representation. Could be mp3 distortion maybe, but I swear I hear pitch correction/manipulation.

On Godpleaser, where I refernced previously there is reverb and maybe a dash of delay, but Auto-tune is there... especially on the " I wanna be, I wanna be" part.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I think they used Auto Tune on one track, just for effect. A lot of people are doing that now. However they use it sometimes on even the best vocals on earth, just to make things a little more tight; it has nothing to do with someones ability to sing.
I thought the same thing. I think Greg still has the chops, they were just playing around with the new toy.
0 x

jonmcg93
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jonmcg93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:36 pm

rexreed wrote:I thought the same thing. I think Greg still has the chops, they were just playing around with the new toy.
I don't doubt for a second dude has the chops, if I could pick any singing voice to have, I'd take his any day.
0 x