A quick commentary on John's NFLD concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

A quick commentary on John's NFLD concert

Post by LivingRock » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 pm

The following is a commentary that I posted on Facebook following John Schlitt's concert in Victoria Newfoundland on Sept 24. Just thought you might like a look.

I kept my eyes glued to the front doors of the Sheila NaGeira Theatre. Seven months of planning and hard work, and now the greatest moment of my life was just a few minutes away. Slowly, the people trickled in. A couple, a family, a group of teenagers, another couple. The trickle increased until a steady stream of people flowed through the doors, and a definite hum rose from the auditorium. Holding my breath, I peeked inside and squinted to see through the semi-darkness. To my surprise, the theatre was filling fast. Finally, I seated myself at the end of a row. Listening to the opening artist, Blair Lane, lead the people in a series of worship songs, I struggled to gather my thoughts and gain some composure. I could see the man everyone had come to hear peeking through the curtain, and I knew the time was getting closer. Forget having butterflies, it felt more like a moose on the rampage down there! And yet, I felt a sense of peace. I knew God had a hand in this, and it would all play out according to His purpose and time. And finally, the moment arrived.

Holding my breath, I advanced up the stairs and across the stage. I adjusted the microphone and looked out across a sea of people, and I felt myself relax. The Theatre was almost full. This would be a success, I knew it. How could it not be, with God at the helm? After thanking Blair for opening the concert, and leading the people in a last round of applause, I took a last deep breath and said a last prayer: and spoke from my heart.

"Well, I'm proud to say that our next artist has been my personal hero since I was three years old. And for those of you who are Petra fans..." I paused as a few cheers and scattered whistles were heard, "...And it sounds like there are a few here tonight... He really needs no introduction. But for those of you not familiar with Petra, and maybe this is your first time hearing John; not only is he a four-time Grammy Award winner, not only has he won multiple Dove awards, not only is he a Gospel Hall of Famer, not only is he a Hard Rock Cafe Hall of Famer, but he is also one of the most humble, down-to-earth people I have had the pleasure of working with. He's got some great music to share with you tonight, and our hope and prayer is that you enjoy it as much as we've enjoyed working with him to get this ready. So right now I want to hear a big Newfoundland welcome for Mr. JOHN SCHLITT!"

As John strode out onto the stage, the place erupted in cheers. Many people knew him and his music, and their excitement was contagious. And yet now, looking back at that weekend, there is so much more that I saw beyond just the rockstar singing his heart out on stage.

I saw a man who walked off an airplane at 12:30 in the morning, and still had a smile on his face.

I saw a man with an honest compliment for everyone he met.

I saw a man who was as excited about meeting his fans as they were about meeting him.

I saw a man who treated both church leaders and addicts with the same respect and love.

I saw a man who took time to have a conversation with one of his littlest fans, and gave her a big high-five.

I saw a man who ran down off the stage during one of his songs, just to hug two elderly ladies who looked a bit uneasy at his taste in music.

I saw a man with pride shining out of his eyes as he spoke of his wife, children, and grandchildren.

I saw a man who sang his heart out to God. His God. My God. Our God. And I learned, what being a true hero means.

Thank you John, for Showing Me The Way.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: A quick commentary on John's NFLD concert

Post by Dan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 am

Great review! John is a genuine personality.
0 x

crjensen
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by crjensen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 am

Thank you for your review. John is coming to Denmark (that small Scandinavian country...) this Saturday, and I really look forward to hearing and seeing him (again).
What was the setlist at the concert?

Carsten.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 am

The set list was:

Gravity
God is Too Big
The Grafting
Only Men
The Cross Remains
Wake the Dead
Beyond Belief
I am On the Rock (that one was by special request through Sue though, he may substitute a different song for you guys.)
We Worship You
Blessed Be Your Name
Inside of You
(encore) He Came, He Saw, He Conquered
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/