Let's hear your stories...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Let's hear your stories...

Post by LivingRock » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 pm

...about meeting up with members of Petra! I know this has been done before, but now is always a good time for a positive topic and hearing old stories again, especially with PC3 coming up! I remember there used to be a bunch of stories on A Guide to Petra about meeting up with members of Petra in unusual/ funny places and/or ways. What about Petra encounters in hallways/ restaurants/ hotels/ airports? Or what is you're favorite memory about meeting a member that was special to you? (Of course, they're ALL special! :mrgreen: )

Something really funny that I remember, was when I met John S. and Bob for the first time while they were doing II Guys. A bunch of us were standing around chatting after their Praise and Worship workshop, and Bob was telling us how he loved the different names of cities in Canada; for example, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, and Thunder Bay (which was were this event was taking place). Someone I don't know spoke up and said that the province of Newfoundland had some really funny names, which started a conversation about that. Being familiar with the area, I rattled off a bunch of towns (Piccadilly, Holyrood, Cow Head, etc.) Then I mentioned there were three towns called Heart's Content, Heart's Delight, and Heart's Desire. The funny thing about that is, little did I know that four years later I would be living in the Heart's Content area, and hosting a John Schlitt concert on top of it all :roll: . I told John that story when he came up, and needless to say he got a real laugh out of that coincidence!

I'd like to hear your stories!
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Let's hear your stories...

Post by LivingRock » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Guess nobody has a story?...
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I never met a member of the band. Back in the college says I was supposed to interview the No Doubt members the day of a show in east Texas. It was for a local cable show. Well, my grandmother died the day before so I cancelled the shoot. That's the closest I have to a story about meeting the band. :cry:
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Post by LivingRock » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Wow, sorry to hear that!
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

I met everyone but Kevin during the God Fixation tour. They were promoting this non-profit called Feed the Children, and they said that if you sponsored a child, the band would like to talk to you after the show, so that's what I did. I got to talk with Louie and John for a little bit and then ran into Pete Orta on my way out the door. I met Lonnie right after the show before going back stage. I think Kevin headed straight for the tour bus after the show, because I couldn't find him after the show.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Sorry I was so slow pokey. I went on some cruises a number of years ago...Greg Volz was on one; John S. was on a couple of them. :mrgreen: It was fun. I've met Bob, Louie, Johnny Lawry, Ronny, Paul and Greg Bailey several times over the years. I saw them a couple of times when Lichens and Cooper were in the group but didn't get to meet them. The Schlittmeister is the bandmember I've had the most contact with.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Oh, yes, and I mustn't forget the Pethead Convention in 2003. I got to meet a number of Petheads and I sat right across from John when we all went out for Chinese food. Fun times. I wish I could go to this years convention but I'll be in school.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 am

Met the guys for the first time in Indianapolis. John, Louie, Q, Greg...Bryce? Can't remember who was playing keyboards, but whatever. That was where we got to sit in the player's bench area at the arena. John sang the national anthem before the ensuing hockey game that night. If you got a signed Pethead mousepad, John signed the stack of them on my back. I was his desk for a couple minutes.

Lapeer was neat, because I got to reunite with Enosh and be awesome. I think that was the first time I met Bob.

Kevin and his wife played a show at Grace Bible College in Grand Rapids when I was there in '99 or something. That was cool to chat with him for a little bit, since I was one of only three people who had heard of him when he was there. Picked up a Divine Right cd from him. Also got his Pogostick album, which I honestly haven't listened to since.

The best time was the reunion show in... '04? Where original Petra played with final Petra in South Bend I think? I got both iterations to sign my Petra LP. That show was incredible. That was also where Sue professed her love for me, and I had to politely decline.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:32 am

Jonathan wrote: Lapeer was neat, because I got to reunite with Enosh and be awesome. I think that was the first time I met Bob.

The best time was the reunion show in... '04? Where original Petra played with final Petra in South Bend I think? I got both iterations to sign my Petra LP. That show was incredible. That was also where Sue professed her love for me, and I had to politely decline.
You and Enosh in the same vicinity? That must have been interesting. And Sue professing her love...Wish I could have been there. :lol:
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 am

JONATHAN! you were supposed to keep that just between you and I.... I'm very hurt that you've shared my deep secrets on a public board.

;-) (in case anyone thinks he's serious... or is he?)
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:56 am

I was always hanging around after shows and sneaking backstage (with my official backstage passes) , so I got to meet John S, Louie, Pete, Lonnie, Quinton, Greg B., Bryce, Justin Johnson, Paul and of course Bob.

When Petra was in the Netherlands in June 2004 they did two concerts. The first one was a small venue acoustic concert. When the band was arriving, Bob greeted me and after the concert when we chatted he gave me one of his guitars picks, which he had produced in limited quantities for himself.

When I met Bob after the Farewell concert in the Netherlands he told me he knew something interesting for my website and told me about this contribution to the Albrecht, Roley and Moore album in 1977, which is now part of my collection:

http://www.petrafiles.com/petraspective ... eling.html
0 x