just wondering

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

just wondering

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 pm

So many christian bands have come and gone over the years, Mylon and Broken Heart, Geoff Moore and the Distance, Carman (I know he didn't have a band but he was super popular), Plank Eye, Audio A, just to name a few.

I know that Mylon had to stop because of a heart condition, and Audio A had to stop because the lead singer was losing his voice, not sure what happened to Carman, as far as his touring, he still makes apperances on TBN, but no real concerts to speak of.

Why has Petra kept going for so long?

Lyrics? Their music? The Message? Bob? God? Just wondering what your thoughts are?
Last edited by shawnpfan2010 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: just wondering

Post by rexreed » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Most of the artists you mentioned were riding the "wave" of touring that was so prominent in the 80's and early 90's. Petra did call it quits in 2005 and their touring is not quite the same as it was in the 90's so it is not as if they never stopped. The Newsboys and Third Day may have managed the "wave" better than anyone. I miss AA and D&K. Rich Mullins died, MWS is still around but his tours aren't what they used to be. Carmen was so corny it was just a matter of time before that schtick got old. I do think Petra has lasted this long because they are good. That doesn't mean they are the only good ones out there but it is all I can come up with.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

I know Petra "retired" in 2005 but they never really quit.

So basically all the rock bands of the late 80's and 90's only did what they did because it was cool at the time? Just make a quick buck and leave? Sad :cry:
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I guess what I am trying to ask is why have they been so popular for so long? What is it about them that so many fans have stuck with them and kept them going?

I know they are not as popular as they were in the 90's, but what other band has a stronger fan base than Petra? Again is it the style of music, the message, Bob, GOD?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:55 pm

I know the one main thing that has kept me as a fan has been the message with alot of cool hooks for the ears. I don't know really what it is(maybe Holy Spirit) but every album Petra has ever done has really spoken to me spiritually and I believe God has placed them in my life to be a support for the darkest times in my life. I can truly take every aspect of my life and say there's a Petra song for that. On another note Petra's songs have help me with a better understanding of the Bible.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:Audio A had to stop because the lead singer was losing his voice.
I did not know that. :shock:
shawnpfan2010 wrote:Not sure what happened to Carman, as far as his touring, he still makes appearances on TBN, but no real concerts to speak of.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that he had problems with high blood pressure. Also, Wikipedia says that in November 2011, he was injured in a car accident and suffered internal injuries that required surgery.
shawnpfan2010 wrote:Why has Petra kept going for so long?
Simple...God's hand was/is on them.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:24 pm

For me it's a combination of three things. 1. God has chosen to use them and doesn't appear to be done yet. 2. The music has always been quite good. 3. The message. Petra has a spiritual depth that most bands just didn't have. Many Petra songs are like Bible Studies. I've never learned more from any other Christian rock band than I have from Petra. There are individual artists who had more spiritual depth (Keith Green comes to mind) but I can't think of any other rock band that did.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I know Petra "retired" in 2005 but they never really quit.

So basically all the rock bands of the late 80's and 90's only did what they did because it was cool at the time? Just make a quick buck and leave? Sad :cry:
I don't think they made a quick buck and left- more like the waves disappeared and they had to call it a day.

AA let other members sing lead on the newer material but ultimately decided they did not want to tour without Mark Stuart. He sounded terrible the last couple times I saw them. They had a nice arsenal of hits and were a blast to see live. The SKOZ tour was one of the best in Christian rock!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 am

rexreed wrote:
shawnpfan2010 wrote:I know Petra "retired" in 2005 but they never really quit.

I don't think they made a quick buck and left- more like the waves disappeared and they had to call it a day.

AA let other members sing lead on the newer material but ultimately decided they did not want to tour without Mark Stuart. He sounded terrible the last couple times I saw them. They had a nice arsenal of hits and were a blast to see live. The SKOZ tour was one of the best in Christian rock!
I liked some AA stuff, but always thought they lacked the grit in the guitar to be full blown rock; they were on the popish side for me. The one thing that kept me interested in them was the ministry aspect and how they showed what they believed.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:48 am

I think Petra is still around because they choose to be. They have adapted to what the marketplace offers. Perhaps a lot of other bands need the big stages, lights and special effects. But although Petra was awesome with those things, they are equally entertaining and spiritually effective without them. As many of us have seen with John and II Guys, the songs are strong enough to stand with only a guitar or two. And the band members are mature enough to accept the less than ideal conditions that occur with some gigs.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:28 am

I think the main reason they are still around is because they still feel the calling of the Holy Spirit.
0 x

andreasbjerre
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1997

Post by andreasbjerre » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 pm

executioner wrote:I think the main reason they are still around is because they still feel the calling of the Holy Spirit.
I think you a right! Thats what Bob and John has said in some interviews, that even though they didn't have the same popularity as 80s and early 90s, they felt like they still had something to say...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

I think they are hungry, have bills to pay, and the holy spirit uses them, just as it uses us on our jobs. As long as they do what they do and there is a market for them, more power to 'em. When the market falls out, it will not mean that the holy Spirit is no longer using them. It means that there is no market for them.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 pm

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:
shawnpfan2010 wrote:Why has Petra kept going for so long?
Simple...God's hand was/is on them.
Implying that God's hand was not on the other acts named? I don't think that's a very fair thing to say.

I think it's simply the fact that when Petra was big, they were really big, and they still have enough fans around who are willing to support them. The other acts weren't nearly as popular and simply wouldn't sell enough albums these days to make it worth their time.

As for why Petra made it big in the first place, I think it's because they were very good at what they did and could easily stand toe to toe with any secular artist of the day. You could play a Petra record for your unsaved friends without feeling embarrassed.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 pm

God....right. Man has everything to do with who makes it in the CCM world and who doesn't. God does not run the industry. Man does. God is barely allowed to have a say in the modern US church. Why would people think he has an influence in the CCM industry?
0 x