John - Back to Norway

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: John - Back to Norway

Post by fcollazo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm

did it sound like something that john planned or was it the band took over an improvised?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm sure there are times when John does the same, but I've never seen it in person so I'm not sure if that's the case, but if he does I'm fine with it;
j

He himself always sings 100% live.

<<1) I was called up on stage after "Hope That Saves The World"....I don't want you to see that.....

I HAVE to see that, Terje! oh, yes! I do.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Is it "sampling" when you perform to some prerecorded tracks? I've heard people use the term "sweetening" for that. I always thought sampling was the sort of thing keyboardists and hip hop producers did.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Guys, I love Petra in all it's incarnations, but I've got to say I sometimes find these discussions very disheartening. Greg and John are both in the their 60's and it's been a long time since I've heard either of them "nail" a song, do it "spot on", sound "smooth as silk", or any other proclamations of near perfect performance. Granted, much of what I've listened to has been poor quality recordings, but come on. Distorted so you can't hear anything is one problem. Going flat on your notes so it's a completely different note is another.

Having said all that I was a little surprised at the difference between John's performance in the recent European Petra shows and Hope That Saves the World. I was shocked at how good John sounded with Petra. It appeared to me that he has come to terms with a more limited range and is staying within that range beautifully. I was anxious with hope that I would one day get to hear this version of Petra again. But when I heard the recording of Hope in Norway, he seemed to be flat all over the place and was really struggling to hit the higher notes. It left me wondering if there was a problem with the sound set-up and he just couldn't hear himself. It really didn't sound like the same guy to me. Anyone else notice that?

I'm hoping the other recordings show he improved as the concert went on.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 am

Man! You all are a tough crowd!! I for one have been blown away by both Greg and John. I'm 20 years younger than those guys and have been a vocalist for at least that long and couldn't begin to touch what those guys can do now...and I'm generally considered fairly decent live. I think they are both awesome!

Sue, please tell John that he is sounding amazing. I was listening to the full show he did with Petra in Denmark and my jaw was just hanging off my face. Back in the day, I saw Petra maybe 30-35 times...and John is sounding the best he has in years...just flat out amazing...powerful. Anyway, enough gushing...but, I was just thrilled to hear how good he is sounding...and looking good too. Mega kudos to him!

Sorry for having been gone so long...life has been crazy...it's good to be back, though!

Eric aka Masada
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 am

I agree that he sounded top notch with Petra but with his own band on "Hope that Saves..." he was flat. Why? Who knows. But it's not my intention to take anything away from anybody by saying that. He proved what can do by singing with Petra over there, so I know it's not an ability issue.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 am

rexreed wrote:Is it "sampling" when you perform to some prerecorded tracks? I've heard people use the term "sweetening" for that. I always thought sampling was the sort of thing keyboardists and hip hop producers did.
Sampling is what John Lawry does with "Jesus loves you". But today almost every keyboard or synth out there is sample based. Not all but most of them.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

I think if there's a problem with the stage moniters or if John can't hear himself, that could be part of the reason why he went flat. When he came to Newfoundland, he was struggling on a couple of the songs, but once he called out and asked the soundman to turn up the moniters, he did fine. Most people found that there was plenty of volume, but John said afterward he had a hard time hearing himself and thought the music wasn't loud enough. Wasn't anything wrong with his pitch, he just couldn't hear himself!
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

One more thing to remember about live shows being recorded is that usually it sounded better in person than on the recording. This has never been more true than today when any yahoo will upload concert video taken from their cell phone. Even a direct feed from the board won't sound the same as in the concert venue because adjustments are made based on acoustics. The zone is a tough crowd but from what I have personally witnessed Greg sounds really good for a 60 year old. I have not heard John in years, and yes his voice sounded a little strained back in 2005 but he too is not getting any younger. From the video and audio evidence I have seean and heard he too sounds pretty darned good.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 pm

I think it's a bit funny how this thread has developed. First everyone really praised his performance - until I said I didn't agree - and then everyone tries to find an explanation of why he didn't perform perfectly. Well I guess I just made you listen with more critical ears or something.

For the record, I think John was great in the recent Petra concert in Norway. Probably better than his performance on the farewell CD.

And this John vs Greg discussion: Both have their good and bad days I guess. Something of the worst from Petra that I ever have heard was the first "Classic Petra" concert in Sweden when Greg had a cold. I had plans to go there but changed my mind for a couple of reasons. After listening to the concert online I was actually quite happy I didn't spend any time and money to go there.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 pm

My review!
The TakeOFF Festival is a brand new festival, located at Lista Airport outside of Vanse in Farsund district.
The promoters expected around 1000 - 1500 visitors, but there were at the most 500 at a concert. Paul
Colman had (as I heard) 350 visitors, and John Schlitt had 500.
The festival had a budget at around 300.000 dollar. And the promoter will lose a lot of money.

I was quite busy with both the Merch table, video filming, audiorecording and taking photos that night.
When John wanted me up on stage, I ended up filming/recording
myself.
Anyway, it was a great concert. The band was very good, and I guess they will be EVEN better in the future
after more practicing together. Every band member did a very good job.
What irritates me was that Johns voice was mixed very low in the first part of the show. It was better at
the end of the show. In the beginning of the show, I was tempted to go to the Mixing
table and tell them to turn up Johns mic. I want to HEAR John, not just see him....

The overall sound, was not that good. I don't know why, It might be difficult to get good sound in a Hangar
like this? There were also a lot of noise from one of the loudspeakers at the left side of stage, where I stood filming.
After a while I gave up, and went to the right side of the stage.
Johns voice was GOOD, he always gives what he has on stage, and I love it.
He did an amazing job, and he was better and better during the concert.
This was his very first time on stage with this new band, and that would have been exciting too for him.
The rock medley seemed like an improvisation by the band, but I guess they have been talking to John about
it. My guess is that it was NOT John's idea. He seemed a bit uncomfortable about it. The band played "Smoke
on the water", "We will rock You", "Back in Black", "Another ones bites the dust", a few others I don't know
and they did the song "God Gave Rock'n'Roll To You" at the end. John only sang on "We Will..." and "God
gave...".
The band wasn't allowed by the promoter to do an extra song at the end, even though there was minutes left of the time and the band was ready to come back on stage.
The audience wanted more, but the promoter cancelled and put a new band on stage. That hurt! You just don't do this with such a great artist.
At the Merchandise table there was a lot of people that wanted John to sign CD's, but John had to wait till
the other band had finished playing.
Many John Schlitt fans left since they couldn't wait to the end. Many said they didn't want to hear the band
that came after John. From 500 people - there were only around 200 people left for the last band. In my opinion John Should have played last.

Overall, it was a nice festival, and the promoter did their best, as far as I can see. I hope they can figure out a way to let this festival stay alive!

I am excited to see John Schlitt & band again in October, when we bring them back to Flekkeroy, Norway.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Would certainly like to hear John doing God Gave Rock and Roll to You. Don't think I've ever heard that before.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:15 pm

More videos please...
It would be very interesting to see John singing We Will Rock You!
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

petheadeast123
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 2004

Post by petheadeast123 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Thats crazy! I'm a big fan of Queen and have a few bootleg concerts where Freddie couldnt quite get that edge on "We Will Rock You" that he had on the record and have honestly often thought to myself "It'd be awesome to hear John sing this song" - Ironic! lol!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 am

trodLAN wrote:My review!
The TakeOFF Festival is a brand new festival, located at Lista Airport outside of Vanse in Farsund district.
The promoters expected around 1000 - 1500 visitors, but there were at the most 500 at a concert. Paul
Colman had (as I heard) 350 visitors, and John Schlitt had 500.
The festival had a budget at around 300.000 dollar. And the promoter will lose a lot of money.

I was quite busy with both the Merch table, video filming, audiorecording and taking photos that night.
When John wanted me up on stage, I ended up filming/recording
myself.
Anyway, it was a great concert. The band was very good, and I guess they will be EVEN better in the future
after more practicing together. Every band member did a very good job.
What irritates me was that Johns voice was mixed very low in the first part of the show. It was better at
the end of the show. In the beginning of the show, I was tempted to go to the Mixing
table and tell them to turn up Johns mic. I want to HEAR John, not just see him....

The overall sound, was not that good. I don't know why, It might be difficult to get good sound in a Hangar
like this? There were also a lot of noise from one of the loudspeakers at the left side of stage, where I stood filming.
After a while I gave up, and went to the right side of the stage.
Johns voice was GOOD, he always gives what he has on stage, and I love it.
He did an amazing job, and he was better and better during the concert.
This was his very first time on stage with this new band, and that would have been exciting too for him.
The rock medley seemed like an improvisation by the band, but I guess they have been talking to John about
it. My guess is that it was NOT John's idea. He seemed a bit uncomfortable about it. The band played "Smoke
on the water", "We will rock You", "Back in Black", "Another ones bites the dust", a few others I don't know
and they did the song "God Gave Rock'n'Roll To You" at the end. John only sang on "We Will..." and "God
gave...".
The band wasn't allowed by the promoter to do an extra song at the end, even though there was minutes left of the time and the band was ready to come back on stage.
The audience wanted more, but the promoter cancelled and put a new band on stage. That hurt! You just don't do this with such a great artist.
At the Merchandise table there was a lot of people that wanted John to sign CD's, but John had to wait till
the other band had finished playing.
Many John Schlitt fans left since they couldn't wait to the end. Many said they didn't want to hear the band
that came after John. From 500 people - there were only around 200 people left for the last band. In my opinion John Should have played last.

Overall, it was a nice festival, and the promoter did their best, as far as I can see. I hope they can figure out a way to let this festival stay alive!

I am excited to see John Schlitt & band again in October, when we bring them back to Flekkeroy, Norway.

Nice review. The one thing I will say is I'm a little perplexed about the set list with the secular songs, you make it sound like John had no control on what was played or what the set list was; do you believe this to be the case? I know there are times when a promoter and/or organizer will put some requests in place for songs, and also will say I want newer material more than older material or vice/versa, but aren't those just requests? I'm thinking if John didn't want those songs played then they would not have been played.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!