More Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Re: More Petra?

Post by sue d. » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 pm

A few details.... via Steve Blair, Catalog Sales & Marketing at Capitol Christian Distribution (formerly EMI):

Had a great time today working and hanging out with two music legends, John W. Schlitt and Bob Hartman of Petra. They've toured the world, won Grammys, GMA Awards and sold over 7million records. We're working with them to release, "40th Anniversary," a 2cd set that will not only chronicle their storied career, but will include the bands first new recording in a decade!

Yes, the song is called "Still Thirsty," written by Bob Hartman. The demo was recorded today, and will be a part of the aforementioned compilation.

zman, Classic had their two years of 'anniversary time.' They're not being 'left out' nor 'kicked to the curb' as Preacher said. That type of statement is meaning that BOB kicked 'them' out... have you ever thought that maybe the band itself felt that their time had passed and the individuals were ready to move on to other things?

Classic had its time and run; things didn't turn out exactly as hoped or planned, which was disappointing to both band and fans. As Brent said - these things happen. It's life. What would you like Classic to do - put out a press release saying "we're done and over because....?" I mean, you're asking for an explanation, and I understand that. But to be honest -- Exe and Brent are correct in their statements.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:And I might add that the only people who have behaved like they were high and mighty and in all honesty, like immature school children have been you and Exe.

First off why do you always have to start with the name calling? Second this person that gave you this information how long have you personally known him? Do you fully trust him to give you ALL the correct info? Do you really think he can actually legally give you all the info since he is employed by the band, and is actually there to put a positive spin on what has happen? You've said it yourself that your disappointed that the band hasn't been forthcoming with some type of official statement.
The 2 people that gave me the info both are promoters, both have promoted Petra countless times over the last 30 years, both told me the same exact info without either of them knowing they were telling me, one of them I've known since 1985 when I met him at a Petra concert in Port Arthur, Tx and have a very close brother type of friendship with and trust him more than any other person I've ever known; the other promoter I've known for about 15 years and he is getting all his info from an actual member of Classic Petra. Their info has always been 100% correct and would never say anything unless they had validated everything to be 100% correct & confirmed.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:Exe, stop being such a gossip.

It's sad that Classic Petra has been kicked to the curb and quite frankly I think the saddest thing of all is how disrespectfully the fans of Classic Petra have been treated. Basically being told nothing official about the fate of the band after having been promised so much. The least they could have done is be honest with us. I know a fair amount of what's up, but most people don't. I know that the ultimate undoing was beyond their control in many ways, so I don't blame the guys for it not working, though there are certainly things the group could have done differently that probably would have resulted in a better outcome, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Still, I think they should have and even now should be way more forthcoming with the truth than what they have been. I think they owe the fans that much.

As things stand, I have no interest in this 40th anniversary tour because all it is, is more Farewell Petra. There may be some new music coming and that's great, but Farewell Petra hardly represents 40 years of Petra. The least they could have done was try to get Greg X. Volz involved to come sing his Petra songs on the tour, so they could at least represent the two major eras of Petra with both the guys who sang the songs. They are totally blowing something that could have been a great consolation for those of us who are losing what we hoped we would get with Classic Petra. This is not a 40th Anniversary Tour. It's an attempt to relaunch Farewell Petra, so let's at least be honest.

The first paragraph I understand what your saying but too be honest the band owes us nothing and plus there is probably legal premises at this time that not allowing them to say anything in public(just a hunch).
The second paragraph I agree with you and as a long time Petra fan would have liked to see more former members involved. I do know that some former members have been invited(maybe not the ones you are specifically wanting) to come and do a show here and there, but do not know if any have said yes, no, or maybe.
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am

Hello, all...long time no post. Apparently God didnt want me to write a book, as my original post mysteriously got deleted as I was editing it. Long story short...I think Brent and Exec are dead on. Even as a long time supporter of CP, I think it's silly to think they are being "kicked to the curb." And that wasn't directed towards any one person, even though I was quoting Preacherman. Anyway, things are what they are.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new song...cause a new song from Bob, in any incarnation, is a good thing, in my opinion. Biggest thing, I just wish everyone could put down their swords and just appreciate the fact that God is still using these guys in some capacity after all these years. The petty back and forth is just plain foolishness. He said/ she said makes us all look like immature idiots and does NOT honor the God that we all claim to follow. We all support Petra, presumably...and the great thing is...they've been around long enough that they come in enough flavors that we all can find stuff to like and dislike. Opinions are like, well, you know...let's stop taking stuff so blasted personally around here.

Hope God is richly blessing you all!

Your brother from Indy,

Eric
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:17 am

cndfogie wrote:I'm just wondering what "type of person/s" Brent and Exe are? If there IS new Petra coming out that is great. Hopefully Bob will rock out and we can get something even better than J&H. Classic/ Dream Team/Farewell who gives a flying fart. Money has to be made this tour could breath life into the band and it's music. Classic had it's shot/purpose. New season is here support it or not. It will still move forward.

Well Brent has worked in the business for a lot of years and knows the right people to get the right information, and with me being a former journalist I have a lot of connections in the media that can get me the info I need and trust. Both of us would not publicly say anything unless we had verified this such information. I do believe now Sue's Statement(John's Official Statement person or manager) puts both Brent's & my information in the proper context & confirmation.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:28 am

Sue,
The words "kicked to the curb" had to do with the way I feel fans of Classic Petra have been ignored through this whole process. It was not a reference to Bob moving on to do something else.Yes, I do believe some kind of explanation would be in order. I seem to recall you being rather annoyed when Classic Petra was announced and you didn't feel you had been given proper explanation. Sue, you claim they (Classic Petra) are done. If that's the case, that should be stated plainly in an official statement. Everything that has been stated officially thus far has only suggested that they are on hiatus due to matters beyond the bands control. If you know something different to be the case. Let's hear it. You say that Brent and Exe are right but I'm not so sure that you know everything they have been saying and claiming as much has been said through PMs, but if you can confirm that everything they have claimed in this thread is true, then go ahead and say that. I would consider your word on that to be official, but I can't accept that from them. All I want is the truth about Classic Petra to be stated by someone I can trust to know what they are talking about. I can't trust that from them. All they do is mock and ridicule and behave like children. I have no respect for them. But if you are going to take up their side and stick up for them, then let's put it all on the table. So let's just have it straight, if you can. Has Dean been feeding me a line of bull all this time? Can you confirm that? Do you work with Dean and know for sure what's going on with Classic Petra? Did certain members of Classic Petra cause problems on the tour causing Bob to have to apologize for them? Did Bob sell his share of Classic Petra and has no interest in ever returning to it? These are some of things Exe and Brent have been claiming. Can you confirm them? If you are going to say they are right, you need to know what you are signing on to and someone needs to finally speak the truth.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:48 am

Preacherman777 wrote:Sue,
The words "kicked to the curb" had to do with the way I feel fans of Classic Petra have been ignored through this whole process. It was not a reference to Bob moving on to do something else.Yes, I do believe some kind of explanation would be in order. I seem to recall you being rather annoyed when Classic Petra was announced and you didn't feel you had been given proper explanation. Sue, you claim they (Classic Petra) are done. If that's the case, that should be stated plainly in an official statement. Everything that has been stated officially thus far has only suggested that they are on hiatus to due matters beyond the bands control. If you know something different to be the case. Let's hear it. You say that Brent and Exe are right but I'm not so sure that you know everything they have been saying and claiming as much has been said through PMs, but if you can confirm that everything they have claimed in this thread is true, then go ahead and say that. I would consider your word on that to be official, but I can't accept that from them. All I want is the truth about Classic Petra to be stated by someone I can trust to know what they are talking about. I can't trust that from them. All they do is mock and ridicule and behave like children. I have no respect for them.

Yes we are behaving like children; sir please go back and review all the posts put up by me and tell us all specifically where I am mocking & ridicule anyone at all and also where I'm acting childish. After that go and review all your posts and tell us all where you are not mocking & ridicule others and acting yourself like a child. I would really appreciate it if you put both of our mocks, ridicules, and childish behavior in quotes and post them in this thread for all to see. After doing all that can you please verify which one of us is acting like all the things you claim.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:52 am

So I just read the facebook post and basically it sounds like they are putting out another "Petra The Ultimate Collection" cd with one new song added to it. Oh Boy :roll:

I don't know why, I am just not getting behind this.

I still have not bought Johns new album, what I have heard on amazon, really does not do anything for me. I like listening to his first two cds which, in my opinion, are his best.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:28 am

With all due respect to the new project, I am not looking to hear any remastered stuff that is just a louder, more distorted, version of the same thing. I am not an E-brothers fan by any stretch, but the original versions of their initial label releases sound much better and have more punch than the re-releases and and remasters. Back when the E-brothers were making those records, Sony PCM 1630 was the standard, and people mastered to a lower level to make use of headroom, and tried NOT to distort the music. Now, it's all about loudness and creating distortion on purpose. Screwed! So, I tip my hat to the old recordings, and I buy them whenever I can find new old stock. I will buy whatever product Bob is involved with directly so the guys get more of the money, even if it costs me more.

I hope the new release is one new ALBUM not one new song. According to Greg Bailey, he told me that Bob had some post J&H songs for the next record that were "the best songs I (Greg) have ever heard Bob write."
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:22 am

brent wrote:With all due respect to the new project, I am not looking to hear any remastered stuff that is just a louder, more distorted, version of the same thing. I am not an E-brothers fan by any stretch, but the original versions of their initial label releases sound much better and have more punch than the re-releases and and remasters. Back when the E-brothers were making those records, Sony PCM 1630 was the standard, and people mastered to a lower level to make use of headroom, and tried NOT to distort the music. Now, it's all about loudness and creating distortion on purpose. Screwed! So, I tip my hat to the old recordings, and I buy them whenever I can find new old stock. I will buy whatever product Bob is involved with directly so the guys get more of the money, even if it costs me more.

I hope the new release is one new ALBUM not one new song. According to Greg Bailey, he told me that Bob had some post J&H songs for the next record that were "the best songs I (Greg) have ever heard Bob write."

I would also prefer a whole new album, but maybe this will be a launching board for something new & more. Greg & Bob(when touring for JAH 03-04) both said Bob had a collection of songs ready for the next album and they were some of Bob's best ever; basically they were looking at a JAH2 type album. I often wonder if "Too Big Too Fail" was one of those songs?
I'm like you Brent I'm always shopping used stores looking for these things; most Petra albums I have several copies stored up.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am

Matthew RJ wrote:
brent wrote:With all due respect to the new project, I am not looking to hear any remastered stuff that is just a louder, more distorted, version of the same thing. I am not an E-brothers fan by any stretch, but the original versions of their initial label releases sound much better and have more punch than the re-releases and and remasters. Back when the E-brothers were making those records, Sony PCM 1630 was the standard, and people mastered to a lower level to make use of headroom, and tried NOT to distort the music. Now, it's all about loudness and creating distortion on purpose. Screwed! So, I tip my hat to the old recordings, and I buy them whenever I can find new old stock. I will buy whatever product Bob is involved with directly so the guys get more of the money, even if it costs me more.

I guess, but aren't there any good examples of remastering out there. remaster doesn't have to mean loud & more distorted. And an album that tops J&H, yes please!!!
Most remasters I find that some of the little sounds that make a song unique are stripped and taken away.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 am

shawnpfan2010 wrote:So I just read the facebook post and basically it sounds like they are putting out another "Petra The Ultimate Collection" cd with one new song added to it. Oh Boy :roll:

I don't know why, I am just not getting behind this.

I still have not bought Johns new album, what I have heard on amazon, really does not do anything for me. I like listening to his first two cds which, in my opinion, are his best.

I would urge you to buy The Greater Cause, the samples you are hearing from Amazon does not do the album justice, you will be sorry if you miss out on this great album. I think its some of the best Petra related material put out in 20 years; the only things that stand up against it our WUC & JAH.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 am

zman7720000 wrote:I am just so grieved that the classic line up is being left out completely.
The purpose of my previous post was not to fuel gossip and debate, simply to express one fan’s emotion. It’s probably obvious that I have great affection for Classic, but that’s not my only concern. This tour is being marketed as “”The 40th Anniversary Tour/CD.” For fans, which are the only ones who will be buying in, it suggests that it will represent the band’s full career! I know it has been reported that surprise guests will be performing, however to me that’s nothing more than a cameo role and is distasteful at best. I know Greg and Louie can be a pain, but they put 30 years into that band/ministry. I agree that the so called dream team would also have been better than what we are being sold! If this is a 40th anniversary tour/CD why not have GHF contribute? What about the PP2, DT, GF guys? My problem is with the promotion. If it looks like a Farewell reunion, sounds like a Farewell reunion, smells like a Farewell reunion, well then? I will not be going to see this band as marketed!
I must stop here and give honor where it is due Greg Bailey seems to be a real standup guy he has been their when needed for 10 years now, even worked with CP, how classy!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 am

Exactly. I have the same concerns.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:20 am

zman7720000 wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:I am just so grieved that the classic line up is being left out completely.
The purpose of my previous post was not to fuel gossip and debate, simply to express one fan’s emotion. It’s probably obvious that I have great affection for Classic, but that’s not my only concern. This tour is being marketed as “”The 40th Anniversary Tour/CD.” For fans, which are the only ones who will be buying in, it suggests that it will represent the band’s full career! I know it has been reported that surprise guests will be performing, however to me that’s nothing more than a cameo role and is distasteful at best. I know Greg and Louie can be a pain, but they put 30 years into that band/ministry. I agree that the so called dream team would also have been better than what we are being sold! If this is a 40th anniversary tour/CD why not have GHF contribute? What about the PP2, DT, GF guys? My problem is with the promotion. If it looks like a Farewell reunion, sounds like a Farewell reunion, smells like a Farewell reunion, well then? I will not be going to see this band as marketed!
I must stop here and give honor where it is due Greg Bailey seems to be a real standup guy he has been their when needed for 10 years now, even worked with CP, how classy!
Well believe me its hasn't because of a lack of effort on their part. I know invites have been sent out to some and I know they wanted John Lawry for the whole thing but his studio schedule is completely booked for the next 18-24 months; other than that I'm not sure who has declined or accepted but do know a host of invites had been sent. Brent has made the comment about having a "Bill Gaither Type of Homecoming" thing and I do think this could be a possibility near the end of the tour because there is at least one promoter looking at maybe trying to get something like this rolling. If this single "Still Thirsty" is successful and the tour sees growth, then maybe Capital would be willing to put something like that together with some type of DVD package.
0 x