Can Petra make a comeback

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Can Petra make a comeback

Post by brent » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:26 pm

We have covered this before. If they had quit when Bob left and come back with J&H, it would have been much better for them. They sucked for so long, becoming something they were not, alienating their core base to pick up soccer moms. Yeah, that really worked. They should have quit, stayed gone, allowed the public to miss them, and then come back. Petra never retired. They haven't stopped played. There have been multiple albums released. They should have at least quit when they said they were going to. If they did not want to retire, they should have come back with the follow up to J&H quickly. Their live set now is tired. There is no incentive for me to go listen to the same old thing, when I have it on video, can see it on YouTube. There is no new music. There is a drummer with no identity with the band. Pass.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm

IMO it doesn't matter if Petra retired for good in 2005 or not. The folks that were packing arenas in the 80's and 90's stopped listening to Petra. Sure there are some of us that keep up with the bands we love, but from what i can tell the typical ccm fan discovers Christian artists and a few years later they move on to other musicians. For this reason I am able to talk to a young fan of Christian music to day and there is a good chance that they have not heard Petra or Whitecross and they probably believe that the band they like ( insert name___________) is the best thing since sliced bread. In a few years they will forget their favorite band. One exception right now is the Newsboys, but my theory is partially backed up because most Newsboys fans that I speak to have limited knowledge of the band before Peter was the lead vocalist. Heck, I bet there is a good percentage that knows nothing of the band before Tait joined. CCM fans may be the worst in all music, or it could just be a side effect that parallels the activity in today's church. I mean to say that the turnover rate for ccm fans might resemble the turnover rate in active church membership.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:02 am

knotodiswrld wrote: The problem is ... when you're 21 years old, you can do this.

When you're 51, it just isn't that easy.
Oh, I totally agree. Like I said, they would suffer as a result. It would definitely not be easy but I don't think it's fair to say a comeback is impossible. Like I said, the question is if they really want a full comeback or not and/or are willing to do whatever it takes to get there ... that's something only they can answer. I just laid out my opinion of what I thought it would take for that comeback to happen.

As far as other posts on this thread, the old saying still holds true: Hindsight is 20/20. When Bob left in the mid 90s, I don't know of anyone that said they should have retired then. I was not/am not an insider, I am just a fan. Maybe it was whispered among insiders then, I dunno. Like I said before, I'm selfish. I can't imagine my listening patters over the last almost 20 years if they had retired then and I am very glad they've stuck around.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:52 am

This is the way I look at it; If God wants it and If the band is willing to follow God in this than it will happen. I am glad there is a chance at some new music from Petra and will take whatever I can get from these men of God, whatever God wants from them I pray they follow and I will be happy with the outcome because then I know its true to their hearts. Remember God trumps EVERYTHING even the music business.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:57 am

rexreed wrote:IMO it doesn't matter if Petra retired for good in 2005 or not. The folks that were packing arenas in the 80's and 90's stopped listening to Petra. Sure there are some of us that keep up with the bands we love, but from what i can tell the typical ccm fan discovers Christian artists and a few years later they move on to other musicians. For this reason I am able to talk to a young fan of Christian music to day and there is a good chance that they have not heard Petra or Whitecross and they probably believe that the band they like ( insert name___________) is the best thing since sliced bread. In a few years they will forget their favorite band. One exception right now is the Newsboys, but my theory is partially backed up because most Newsboys fans that I speak to have limited knowledge of the band before Peter was the lead vocalist. Heck, I bet there is a good percentage that knows nothing of the band before Tait joined. CCM fans may be the worst in all music, or it could just be a side effect that parallels the activity in today's church. I mean to say that the turnover rate for ccm fans might resemble the turnover rate in active church membership.

Great example and I never thought about tying the church into it, but it does have some parallels. I've never been a big fan of Newsboys(too popish or boy band for me), but they have always staid with the same basic style that got them where they are and I think that says something.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 am

brent wrote:We have covered this before. If they had quit when Bob left and come back with J&H, it would have been much better for them. They sucked for so long, becoming something they were not, alienating their core base to pick up soccer moms. Yeah, that really worked. They should have quit, stayed gone, allowed the public to miss them, and then come back. Petra never retired. They haven't stopped played. There have been multiple albums released. They should have at least quit when they said they were going to. If they did not want to retire, they should have come back with the follow up to J&H quickly. Their live set now is tired. There is no incentive for me to go listen to the same old thing, when I have it on video, can see it on YouTube. There is no new music. There is a drummer with no identity with the band. Pass.

I agree on the point that when Bob left after WUC that they should have called it quits then because between that and JAH their music style changed so much that they totally lost their fan base that way they would have went out on top because they were still selling out shows on the WUC Tour; Bob has said that the WUC TOUR was more successful than the actual album. Back in 2003 JAH would have been a great lead way into a comeback with the vibe that Bob was looking for.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I mean, they never really took a break, they never really retired and therefore they have just been around for a very long time and a lot of older fans seem to think that what they are doing is quite desperate. After ten years of Petra being whoever was around there was a short period with Bob, retirement, then the II guys from Petra, then Classic Petra, then the revival of the Farewell Petra and so on. Always trying to find some way or other to be around.
I don't know why people keep saying they "never really retired." The last show was Dec. 31, 2005. II Guys was for ONE year (2006-2007) and that was NOT Petra.

There were a FEW Petra concerts in S. America between 2008 - 2012 (which I don't count in regards to U.S. bookings), and only TWO in the U.S. in 2010. Other than that, Petra was retired! Classic Petra was just that -- an entity unto itself.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:55 am

Retire means quit. Led Zep retired. The Beatles retired. The band did not stay gone long enough to be missed and wasn't missed by enough people with money.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:14 am

Retire means quit
Petra did quit, as Sue said, Dec. 31, 2005. They have only done a few standalone sets after requests.
I have missed them touring since then. Eight years have gone!
As I understand you,- you say it's too late for Classic Petra and too early for Farewell Petra?
I think Petra should go out today, while they still can and have their Health!
And there is a lot of interrest in New Petra material right now! After ten years of waiting!

As Brent said Dec. 02, 2012:
Now we really need JAH2 You already have it! If you put Bob's lyrics, Dan's production and John's vocals into a new Petra CD - and you'll have a killer album. This is the best thing that could happen at this moment.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:07 am

You are making my opinions bigger deals than you need to and you are confusing two things. You are confusing a comeback, meaning Petra will be as big as they ever were and sustain themselves by touring, and making a new record. I want more new music. My quote about having Dan, Bob and John do something was in the context of a John solo record IIRC. Someone mentioned that John sang Bob's words on his solo record. Dan produced a great sounding period record for John last time. So, if the three of them got together, made another, let Bob get the songs out of his system he started writing post J&H, you would have the next record. All of that has nothing to do with whether the timing of CP was off, or whether Petra could make it again as a touring act, capturing a new audience.

All I am saying is what I know from working and programming music in radio. There is a cycle to things and neither band made use of what works for the industry. CP was a bit too late on the cycle and Petra was a bit too early to turn out something like J&H and then stop. People in the industry no longer wanted to risk their money, telling the guys they need to plan for the end, so they could plan their return. You have to get while the getting is good. It happens in music, TV, etc. You have to leave on a high note so people want more. What did Petra do? Kept alienating the audience so people lost interest and wished they would quit.

I know you are a huge fan and do a lot of good for the band. I am to. You work on one side of the cash register, I work on the other. We see things differently and what I think would have worked (which is what others have told them in the past, so it is not like I am "somebody") is just that. It is an opinion based on watching the success and failure for the 30 years or so I have been in and around it.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

Look at what's happening with Whiteheart right now. I think this is kind of what Brent is getting at. They've been gone for quite awhile. Aside from the Soul 2 Soul awards, they haven't done squat. They announced a small reunion tour, and within a couple months the demand is so great for the live show and for new music, that they've already decided to double the number of dates and push the tour back to next spring so they can work on an EP of new music. Wanna take bets that the new EP turns into a full album?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 am

sue d. wrote:
I mean, they never really took a break, they never really retired and therefore they have just been around for a very long time and a lot of older fans seem to think that what they are doing is quite desperate. After ten years of Petra being whoever was around there was a short period with Bob, retirement, then the II guys from Petra, then Classic Petra, then the revival of the Farewell Petra and so on. Always trying to find some way or other to be around.
I don't know why people keep saying they "never really retired." The last show was Dec. 31, 2005. II Guys was for ONE year (2006-2007) and that was NOT Petra.

There were a FEW Petra concerts in S. America between 2008 - 2012 (which I don't count in regards to U.S. bookings), and only TWO in the U.S. in 2010. Other than that, Petra was retired! Classic Petra was just that -- an entity unto itself.
What brent is saying is completely true. Yes, Petra officially retired in 2005, but they never really went away. They have been around in one form or another, the name has been out there in one form or another, and we never had a chance to experience their absence -- as in no Petra whatsoever -- or anticipate their return. The brand has been effectively run into the ground.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 am

Mountain Man wrote:What brent is saying is completely true. Yes, Petra officially retired in 2005, but they never really went away.
Speaking of going away.......I thought Brent was "going away". Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm

calicowriter wrote:Speaking of going away.......I thought Brent was "going away". Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.
Brent disappeared for a short while. Then much like Petra, he popped up from time to time, and now he's making a comeback. Or maybe this is Classic Brent. :lol:
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm

To me Petra has been gone since WUC, so if the Beyond Belief Petra came back I would be one happy pethead.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!