Can Petra make a comeback

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
GS.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 2004

Can Petra make a comeback

Post by GS. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 pm

There may be some who will disagree with me on this topic. I am a younger petra fan 22 and have not seen them before retirement due to my young age. When they returned my first reaction yes yes I get to see them live after all. I saw them at kingsfest and they rocked the house among not only longtime fans but also a lot of young people who never heard of petra before were like who are these guys they rock. I think Kingsfest along with other festivals gained petra a lot of new fans especially younger ones. Now it seems Capital Distribution believes in petra and are willing to invest in them and 'although it has not been officially announced yet' will let them make a full new album. Putting all of these together I think if petra pulls the right strings and makes the right decisions they can put themselves back on the map. I believe in these guys and believe God has plans for them with there return. One more thing that will be controversial to some of you is they have to continue with the rock they are currently doing. I love arena rock but there is no market for it currently. Arena rock has had its' day but the J&H style rock is what will get them out there nowadays.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Can Petra make a comeback

Post by pmal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

I love this band. I am selfish and think that one of the reasons they are still playing is because God wants them to influence my life and others lives like people on this message board, in a way that no other band can currently, and that without them playing (whether it be CP, II Guys, JS solo, etc), there would be a hole in my life. Now, that may seem silly to some but that's the way I feel about it. I really think this band could make a comeback.

That being said, IMO, it would have to be like when they first became popular in the 80s. They would possibly need a couple of radio hits to get some airplay, even if that means Adult Contemporary (see Coloring Song, Why Should the Father Bother, Road to Zion, MPTY, etc). They would need to be willing to struggle along to make it for a while on the road by ditching the airplane flights (that are so stinking expensive and kill any chance of getting dates) and instead getting some kind of bus transportation, and then blow everyone away at the concerts like they can. In other words, I think they need to do a full tour if they want to make a comeback. I'm not talking 2-3 dates per month. I'm talking one to two dates per week minimum, even if that means being an opening band for the current top draws(Newsboys, Skillet, Tomlin, Tobymac, Disciple, Audio Adrenaline, Red, etc) part of the time. Check out this tour: http://www.skillet.com/tour. That's a tour. Sometimes Skillet has 4 dates per week this summer. I'm not saying it's easy and they would have to suffer to make it happen. But, that's what needs to happen to make a comeback. They would build/enlarge their fan base that way by getting their music out because they aren't currently getting any airplay and hardly anyone from any generation currently knows how good they really are and really how good they've been. It's like there's this requirement of being in the church, where young folks love to listen to Christian Rock until they are 30 and then they are required to listen to the Gaithers. Even the CCM rock stations say they are ministries from teens to 30. But, that's another subject for another time. The point is this: hardly anyone knows them anymore that wasn't listening to them when they were popular.

The question is this: are they willing to take that risk and travel that much to make it happen? Are they willing to be on the road and go from town to town sleeping in cheap hotels to make it happen? Are they willing to be an opening band? Are they willing to start and build over a five year or even longer process? Is making a comeback that important to them? It is possible ... but that's the way I could see it happening.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 am

Christian music listeners account for less than 10% of the world's buyers, and that is lumping black, southern and CCM gospel music together.
Christian or secular, music comes back around. Younger audiences discover music and push it. Metal is a great example. 80s hair metal is a great example. Prog is a great example. That said, there are very few bands with multiple lives in CCM. CCM is so small to begin with. It is harder to keep a CCM listener than it is a secular listener. By and large, most CCM listeners listen to secular music or some other programming. The average CCM listener does not give as much dedication and attention as the secular listener.

It is possible. It isn't likely. They are competing with young people for young people dollars. Not easy in any industry.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Making a comeback would be easy. Spend a big pile of money on a new album, tons (and tons) of marketing, and a tour, and they could make a comeback. The problem is that nobody is going to give them a big pile of money, so a high profile comeback is very unlikely.
0 x

petrafied
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 2000

Post by petrafied » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I think it is possible. But money is the key aspect. I don't know if you guys have been watching the charts, but I was watching audio adrenaline's new single (At the time it was new!) "kings and queens". I loved the song and it started at 23rd on spins in christian music weekly after 4 weeks! then it fell off the top 25. So for 3 weeks they were off the charts, then for some odd reason (The Green!!!!) they have 100 spins added, and klove and air1 both have behind the music spots played for them and then the single went to number 1, and 4 weeks later the album sold at number 1. All that to say, there was money in that situation and I'm very happy there was, but a great song doesn't seem to have a shot unless there is extensive money and marketing. If Capitol puts a fragment of the money AA got from there record company I think Petra could be as well know as Toby Mac. And I agree that they need to do the basic tour again. Just a small family bus with a trailer in the back!

For King and Country got to friendfest at 4 to go on at 445 because they had played a concert earlier that day in Michigan or something! Now that's touring!!!!
0 x
"Though the winds may blow and though the floods may grow I shall not be moved, ‘cause I am on the Rock"

"But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Pethead wrote: They would need to be willing to struggle along to make it for a while on the road by ditching the airplane flights (that are so stinking expensive and kill any chance of getting dates) and instead getting some kind of bus transportation, and then blow everyone away at the concerts like they can. In other words, I think they need to do a full tour if they want to make a comeback. I'm not talking 2-3 dates per month. I'm talking one to two dates per week minimum, even if that means being an opening band for the current top draws(Newsboys, Skillet, Tomlin, Tobymac, Disciple, Audio Adrenaline, Red, etc) part of the time.
The problem is ... when you're 21 years old, you can do this.

When you're 51, it just isn't that easy.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:03 pm

And Bob and John are 63!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:17 pm

I am quite surprised that someone hasn't gone to the old testament and misapplied a story of old people being used by God, stating that if God wants old people to rock and top the Christian music scene, it will happen. (positions hand to ear to hear the sound of a lid coming off of an old can of worms)
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 pm

I guess the main problem is that they haven't allowed their fans to miss them. I mean, they never really took a break, they never really retired and therefore they have just been around for a very long time and a lot of older fans seem to think that what they are doing is quite desperate.

After ten years of Petra being whoever was around there was a short period with Bob, retirement, then the II guys from Petra, then Classic Petra, then the revival of the Farewell Petra and so on. Always trying to find some way or other to be around. And the thing is there is nothing wrong in it for those who like what they are doing. I found a lot of it quite desperate and I've been thinking again and again that they should have retired and come back when there was a need for them. Now they are probably too old to retire. I mean at their age you can't retire for 5 or 10 years and then come back strong. So I guess the most they can hope for is to play for those who still like them in whatever lineup or version. They have compromised too much, used the name Petra too much and disappointed too many fans to come back as big as they were. But they will always have a group of people who love them for what they are. I guess that's all they can hope for. I don't see them making a comeback.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm

what they are doing is quite desperate
...and you're not?
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Wow Trodlan, that was uncalled for.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Desperate to me looks like the people so dedicated to something that they turn on people who do not see reality their way.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by trodLAN » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 pm

I've been thinking again and again that they should have retired and come back when there was a need for them.
There has been a need for them since day one. And still is! And they (Bob & John) know what they are doing...they are older than most of us...they know the game...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:25 pm

There may be a need, but obviously not enough.

Curt and I agree. They were not gone long enough, failing to build anxious anticipation. There have always been reunion shows, re-issues, re-packaged compilations (one after another), II Guys, John singing Petra at solo shows, etc. Classic Petra was ok. I don't have a problem with that. It came way too late IMO.

Petra is not the only group that can sing rock music. There are other groups/artists. The world did not and will not end without Petra.

I just watched Kevin Max and Kerry Livgren's movies The Impostor. It showed how people worship CCM artists. It showed how CCM artists can be un-saved, live un-changed, be in the "business" for their own reasons and how people can get into trouble. While most of that does not apply here, the fandom does. Some people worship Petra. Pure idolatry. Some people also worship their pastors, their churches, etc. God, his work, entertainment that is Christian goes on without the bands/artists we like....and us, the fans.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by trodLAN » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Brent: What you're saying is that Bob and John should NOT have done any music live untill around 2020 to (maybe) get back their success and prosperity from their glory days? Am I missing something here?
0 x