Classic Petra in the Top 10

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Classic Petra in the Top 10

Post by stsmedia » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Caught this little tidbit (see #9) on the back cover of the July issue of Classic Christian Artist magazine...
Attachments
The Charts.jpg
The Charts.jpg (186.01 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Classic Petra in the Top 10

Post by brent » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Clay Crosse? Hardly a classic artist. No D&K, Servant, David and the Giants (or is that David & The Giants, or David And The Giants), Dallas Holm, David Meece, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Phil Keaggy, Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart, Geoff Moore and the Distance?
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't know what the metrics are. People still request music on the radio? And there are still stations willing to play something other than what they're instructed to play?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 am

We have a bunch of Christian stations in KC now. All of them get their programming from big momma. They don't even have a request or studio line, only business office lines. I know KXOJ in Tulsa used to take requests, but they went to a "listener line". Most of the guys come in and do their shows some other time, and then everything is played from the hard drive. Aside from the morning show people, none of the on-air talent is actually there when the show is airing. There is a board op and that is about it. Everything is computerized anymore.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:10 am

89.7 Power FM Christian Rock out of Dallas has DJ's from 5AM-midnight daily and plays some really killer 80's-90's stuff in the evenings; if you request it they will play it. About the only thing you will hear on that list is Classic Petra. This is station is a HUGE supporter of everything Petra and will play anything from them.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 am

brent wrote:Clay Crosse? Hardly a classic artist. No D&K, Servant, David and the Giants (or is that David & The Giants, or David And The Giants), Dallas Holm, David Meece, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Phil Keaggy, Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart, Geoff Moore and the Distance?
Phil Keaggy is #11 on the list. But you're right, I really wouldn't consider most of those names to be "classic" Christian artists. White Heart, Resurrection Band, Keith Green, Bryan Duncan, and Steve Taylor are a few others that should take a spot on any "classic Christian artist" list. And isn't it strange that they listed "Classic Petra" instead of simply "Petra"?
Last edited by Mountain Man on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 am

And isn't it strange that they listed "Classic Petra" instead of simply "Petra"?
Not so strange. Classic Petra has certainly been the more visible version of Petra over the past several years, with their albums, tour and TBN show. There's certainly no conspiracy here for or against any version of Petra. But, clearly, as many here have pointed out, the list of "classic" artists suggests this isn't the "classics" we remember, beyond CP and Phil Keaggy. I'd add Russ Taff to list, but that's just me.

It is interesting, though, that in this age of electronic connectivity some people seem to just now be finding out that CP was even together. I'm sure a whole rant can be given about CP's marketing machine (or lack thereof). Probably the same will be said of Petra, I guess. I see a lot of posts from people who had no idea the band was even touring again, much less together again for their 40th.

Back to the "classic" angle of all this, though...

I miss the days of KSBJ (Something Better...Jesus) radio in Houston back in the '80's where they played Christian rock, hard rock and metal for 3 or 4 hours every Saturday night. Always hoped that one day I'd see them play Christian rock full-time and not just Saturday nights. Never happened, of course. But I do recall hearing a station in Arizona at one point that played nothing but Christian rock 24/7.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 am

I'm wondering if this list is of "classic" artists that were still touring, of which they knew of Classic Petra having been touring, just not anymore :/
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 pm

stsmedia wrote:Classic Petra has certainly been the more visible version of Petra over the past several years, with their albums, tour and TBN show. There's certainly no conspiracy here...
I never said it was a conspiracy, I said that I think it's strange that they list "Classic Petra" instead of simply "Petra".
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
stsmedia wrote:Classic Petra has certainly been the more visible version of Petra over the past several years, with their albums, tour and TBN show. There's certainly no conspiracy here...
I never said it was a conspiracy, I said that I think it's strange that they list "Classic Petra" instead of simply "Petra".
Sorry, man, I wasn't saying you said that. I was just reflecting on where I can see some people might take that initial thought. But didn't mean anything more than that with it.
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am

Just following up again with this thread...here's the latest month's "charts" from CCA magazine and where CP purportedly landed.
Attachments
CCM.jpg
CCM.jpg (166.76 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:39 am

What is classic? I recall listening to the local christian station at the time I graduated college, which was 14 years ago. Everything in that list was their bread and butter. In fact, after moving away, I was able to tune it in online several years later and it was still the same music.
Except for Petra, I have a hard time seeing anybody on there as classic. Michael W. went solo in 83, which was 30 years ago, but it was only 3 years later that Stryper released To Hell With the Devil. I grew up in the 80s with Michael and Amy, Stryper, Petra, Whiteheart, D&K, GMD, Guardian, Mastedon, Shout, Barren Cross, White Cross, Neon Cross, Blue Cross, Red Cross, Green Cross, you get the picture. Heck, even Newsboys got started in the 80s. To me, classic would be the music that came before all of that.
One of our local stations does a saturday night archive, and they're not playing anything off that list.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

gman wrote:, Barren Cross, White Cross, Neon Cross, Blue Cross, Red Cross, Green Cross, you get the picture.

You can't be serious :shock: Well, I guess our band Driftwood Cross fits right in then, lol

Oh and you forgot Three Crosses. Wait, they weren't classic... :roll:
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Petrafan4life
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the street
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Petrafan4life » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 pm

stsmedia wrote:Just following up again with this thread...here's the latest month's "charts" from CCA magazine and where CP purportedly landed.
That is just not right. Petra should be number 1.
0 x
Petra is my life. It is not just a name, it's a way of life.

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:51 am

Petrafan4life wrote:
stsmedia wrote:Just following up again with this thread...here's the latest month's "charts" from CCA magazine and where CP purportedly landed.
That is just not right. Petra should be number 1.
Thank you, Petrafan4life! My sentiments exactly! C'mon, fans, who cares who else is on the list...ANY (positive) list Petra is on they should be number 1, right? :mrgreen:
0 x