Petra Is Done

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Petra Is Done

Post by pmal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 am

I think that's because CCM thinks that once you turn 30, you are supposed to start liking the Gaither Vocal Band, MW Smith, Hillsong, and/or Casting Crowns, etc. You are supposed to grow up and leave that youthful music behind, don't forget that young man!!! Nevermind all the Classic Rock/80s Rock stations that are everywhere ...
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 am

pmal wrote:I think that's because CCM thinks that once you turn 30, you are supposed to start liking the Gaither Vocal Band, MW Smith, Hillsong, and/or Casting Crowns, etc. You are supposed to grow up and leave that youthful music behind, don't forget that young man!!! Nevermind all the Classic Rock/80s Rock stations that are everywhere ...
Check out http://www.christianclassicrock.net/ if you want to hear Christian Classic Rock from the 70s through 90s. It's a newly added station but the music library is growing. They are mainly dependent on donations.

Bryan Whitaker, who I believe is the driving force behind these online CCM stations, has even added a few of my emailed requests to their music library.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

rexreed wrote:Even if you adjust for scale, Jrny just completed their biggest tour ever, with a replacement lead vocalist and a medium hit on radio. Album sales were good, but not like the 80's and fans are still engaged. The same cn not be said for Petra. Ccm has short term memory.
Are you kiddin" Journey is not grossing anything close to what they used to. Escape Frontiers and Raised On Radio were the most successful. Frontiers grossed the most. The number of shows is not what makes a tour successful.

Yes, Revelation went platinum, but that largely has to do with WalMart. WalMart basically paid for it up front with a guaranteed buy in. WalMart would not do another Journey disc unless it had the hits on it, because they new it would not sell. If the new songs alone would have been on it's own, it might not have sold as well. The reason why Arnel is accepted is because he sounds sort of like Perry and he has a cool story. They will burn his voice up like they burned Augeri's. Word is they are going to quit for a few years after this tour. Therefore, my wife and I are going to see them.

John Cain built a studio and Nashville and wants to settle down and write/produce. I bet this close to the end. The band I want to see if Schon's son, Miles, playing with Gregg Rolie.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I know it didn't sell like the 80's albums, that is what I said. Then again no one is selling like they did in he 80's. The album Revelation did good for today's numbers.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 pm

I was addressing tours. You mentioned Journey had just had their biggest tour. The tours with Augeri and Arnel have yet to even come close to Frontiers.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:47 am

Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 am

That's crap. Schon says lots of stuff. Of course he is going to say now is better than then. It sells. He has to pimp what he has to sell so people will come.

Do some kicking around in back issues of PollStar. PollStar is your friend.

Hopefully we will "escape" the video nazis at the show this summer and I will have some good footage to share.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 am

I took a look at Petra's Facebook page
119,000 fans.

This tells me, it's not the fans but the industry and probably Petra not going to the right people to represent them.
In this day, in this modern world of music industry for a Christian Band at least, it doesn't rely on name and history alone.
119,000 fans most likely world wide. I would be interested in how many of those 119,000 are in the United States being that Petra would need a big chunk of fans here to support a US Leg of a World Tour.

I really feel there is a connection issue between Petra and the Fans, not us here on The Petra Zone and not from Petra but the people they do business with to promote, I'm finding that even the artists who have legendary value in the secular field still need big promotion.

LiveNation promotes big time for U2 and others. Petra needs someone like LiveNation or a Christian company equivalent to represent their Promotion and Press, put together the right product line, take care of their connections to the fans. U2's website runs like a 3rd party Online News Paper sometimes, making statements like Edge sits down with U2.com to talk about the latest thing. The idea is to put PETRA back in the limelight again. Make CCM and others pay attention, PETRA is a Legend for a reason and they need to talk about it.

Brent, I'm guessing you could probably agree with this, Petra's representation to the Media and Public could use some stepping up.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 am

It's all about money. There has to be a demonstrable need for product and services. The issue is not so many how many fans, but how many fans with money let loose of that money. I like lots of bands, but I don't spend money on most of them. Will I listen to them if they are on the radio, Spotify or some other service? Sure. Few get my money.

People my age have high school events, college and weddings to pay for. We must have something REALLY good to give our time and money to. That said, we go to 5 to 6 paid concerts per year in large venues (Van Halen, Journey, Styx, REO, Foreigner, ZZ Top, Dream Theater, Kansas, Heart, Ted Nugent, etc). The only Christian concerts I attend are John, Petra, etc. I have no connection to modern CCM, although I do mix it from time to time. We do not buy physical media much, if at all. Our fav legacy bands are not releasing music, or they are releasing very little of it that we care for. Most new music I listen to is streamed via a paid service.

Christians do not appreciate legacy artists like secular people do. Christians do not remain Christians forever, they mature out of CCM, or the music was not timeless and is corny with age. Many of Petra's old tunes still work for me. So, for me it is about something I did not list...I'm just bored. I need something new to listen to. If I can't get something new and rawkin', I find it hard to get excited.

What would get me excited? A bigger Petra band with keys, second guitarist and new music.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

brent wrote:
rexreed wrote:Even if you adjust for scale, Jrny just completed their biggest tour ever, with a replacement lead vocalist and a medium hit on radio. Album sales were good, but not like the 80's and fans are still engaged. The same cn not be said for Petra. Ccm has short term memory.
Are you kiddin" Journey is not grossing anything close to what they used to. Escape Frontiers and Raised On Radio were the most successful. Frontiers grossed the most. The number of shows is not what makes a tour successful.

Yes, Revelation went platinum, but that largely has to do with WalMart. WalMart basically paid for it up front with a guaranteed buy in. WalMart would not do another Journey disc unless it had the hits on it, because they new it would not sell. If the new songs alone would have been on it's own, it might not have sold as well. The reason why Arnel is accepted is because he sounds sort of like Perry and he has a cool story. They will burn his voice up like they burned Augeri's. Word is they are going to quit for a few years after this tour. Therefore, my wife and I are going to see them.

John Cain built a studio and Nashville and wants to settle down and write/produce. I bet this close to the end. The band I want to see if Schon's son, Miles, playing with Gregg Rolie.
Journey is scheduled for studio work this fall & winter; from what I hear this tour this summer is suppose to have more songs off their last 2 offerings; Schon & Cain both have said at the most only 12 classics will be played per show with more recent material mixed in.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 am

rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
Yeah according to Schon Journey has made more money on touring in the last 10 years then they did at any other time in their history.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I took a look at Petra's Facebook page
119,000 fans.

This tells me, it's not the fans but the industry and probably Petra not going to the right people to represent them.
In this day, in this modern world of music industry for a Christian Band at least, it doesn't rely on name and history alone.
119,000 fans most likely world wide. I would be interested in how many of those 119,000 are in the United States being that Petra would need a big chunk of fans here to support a US Leg of a World Tour.

I really feel there is a connection issue between Petra and the Fans, not us here on The Petra Zone and not from Petra but the people they do business with to promote, I'm finding that even the artists who have legendary value in the secular field still need big promotion.

LiveNation promotes big time for U2 and others. Petra needs someone like LiveNation or a Christian company equivalent to represent their Promotion and Press, put together the right product line, take care of their connections to the fans. U2's website runs like a 3rd party Online News Paper sometimes, making statements like Edge sits down with U2.com to talk about the latest thing. The idea is to put PETRA back in the limelight again. Make CCM and others pay attention, PETRA is a Legend for a reason and they need to talk about it.

Brent, I'm guessing you could probably agree with this, Petra's representation to the Media and Public could use some stepping up.
Your right; the market is there they just need the right representative to get the word out; it needs to be a company with connections to promoters & venues. I know Sue has done everything in her power to get something going but its just not enough.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 am

Why not bring back someone like Kevin Brandow as the second guitarist with Lawry doing the keys in studio with maybe some tour dates. I think they also need to use Dan Needlem as producer and put out a epic type album.
0 x

thunderecho
Pethead
Pethead

Post by thunderecho » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 pm

executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
Yeah according to Schon Journey has made more money on touring in the last 10 years then they did at any other time in their history.
They seem to have robust attendance when then are partnered with other classic rock bands (Heart and Cheap Trick in 2008 for example). In 2014, they are touring with the Steve Miller band and I expect that tour will be successful. Last two times I attended a Journey concert where they were "solo" the attendance was far from capacity.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Now that I think of it, there is a reason Journey could be net'ing more money than before, even though the gross might be less. Steve Perry. According to sources, Perry used to get paid every time the band played, even though he is not performing with the band. Schon has joked about it publicly too. That deal ended a couple of years ago. The only music Steve does not get paid on is the new stuff. He is still tied to the band on all of the green tree re-masters/re-releases.

Without the Perry era music, I have no interest in going to the show. The show in KC has Foreigner, Journey and Felder. 12 songs is about all they will have time to play. They had better ALL be classics. Arnel can sit out. Dean sounds more like Perry than Arnel does.

There are conflicting reports about the new Journey album. It will likely be a Frontiers label (not be confused with their album title) deal. Neal Schon says that the new album is going to be a guitar heavy rocker like Raised on Radio. WHAT?! Has he listened to ROR? Arnel says he is releasing his own album next year. Journey is supposed to tour South America. Who knows?
0 x