Bob Hartman Jekyll Hyde guitar

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Bob Hartman Jekyll Hyde guitar

Post by curt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:59 pm

wildmanpetra wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Thanks Curt! Again, very helpful. I was thinking the same thing- maybe finding a project LP style and work from there. You have any idea how the black dye is used to get that look?
Thank you. I have no idea how he got that look. My best guess would be to write Bob an e-mail and ask. I just don't know how many mails he recieves and if he has got the time to answer all of them.

I would also start out by finding an LP style guitar. Preferably one that was already set up with coil split options. Adding a Floyd Rose to such a guitar would bring you quite some steps in the right direction.

Personally, at least these days, I am much more into fender style guitars like stratocasters and telecasters. I have played Les Paul guitars for quite many years though and if Bob still sold those guitars JAH guitars I might have changed my mind. But one of the reasons would be because they also had a single coil sound available.

If you start out a project to copy the guitar it would be very interesting if you would share some information.
1 x

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Post by wildmanpetra » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks Curt- yes I am hoping to start this in the near future. May do it on a cheap guitar for learning purposes first- possibly even a kit to get an idea.

Yeah, for me I have settled on the LP- I like the Strat, but recently fell in love with a 98 Les Paul that I can’t put down. I like the heavy tone.

I wish I could’ve afforded the J&H back when he was making it. I love the sound of it in the J&H album and the farewell concert. That look is nice and very unique. Bob did respond and simply said it was a black dye finish. Not sure how he got the that mix with the grain though. I may show the pic to some luthiers to see how it can be copied.

Any help/advice on anything here would be greatly appreciated!
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm

wildmanpetra wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Thanks Curt- yes I am hoping to start this in the near future. May do it on a cheap guitar for learning purposes first- possibly even a kit to get an idea.

Yeah, for me I have settled on the LP- I like the Strat, but recently fell in love with a 98 Les Paul that I can’t put down. I like the heavy tone.

I wish I could’ve afforded the J&H back when he was making it. I love the sound of it in the J&H album and the farewell concert. That look is nice and very unique. Bob did respond and simply said it was a black dye finish. Not sure how he got the that mix with the grain though. I may show the pic to some luthiers to see how it can be copied.

Any help/advice on anything here would be greatly appreciated!
If you can still find them these guitars at least have a look along those lines and with coil split options: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... rans-black

Les Pauls are magic when you find the sweet spot.

(a few minutes ago i pressed the report button instead of the quote botton. That, of course, was in error. I had absolutely no intention of reporting your post. Sorry.)
2 x

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Post by wildmanpetra » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks again Curt- no problem on the report mistake... :lol: :lol:

I will post my progress here as it is made...
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 am

wildmanpetra wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:42 pm
Thanks again Curt- no problem on the report mistake... :lol: :lol:

I will post my progress here as it is made...
Thank you. I am looking forward to your posts about the progress.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:16 am

Does anyone know if Bob still has a Jekyll and Hyde guitar himself?

Back in 2018 trodLAN wrote about a concert in Sweden:

"The guitars Bob was using were borrowed from Norway and Sweden.
The Jekyll & Hyde guitar was Bobs original guitar used at the farewell tour, and sold to a guy at Flekkeroy, Norway."

https://thepetrazone.net/viewtopic.php? ... en#p174694

Perhaps he kept another one at home?
1 x

allaningpen
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: beyond belief
Pethead since: 1986

Post by allaningpen » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:00 am

Hi wildmanpetra,
How is your project going? Or how did it go- depending on what you've done.
Do you hae any tips? (Or anyone else?). I wouldn't mind seeing edge views of the guitar itself.
Any ideas on pickups- as in active or passive?
Is the whole guitar stained, or just the front?

So so many questions.
0 x