THEY OWNED THE STAGE!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: THEY OWNED THE STAGE!!

Post by brent » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:32 am

Every vocalist is affected by stress, fear, temperature, humidity, sinus drainage, dust, smoke, diet, etc, etc. You are never going to get perfection out of anyone out of their prime. I didn't hear one performer, aside from Sandi Patty, give a perfect vocal delivery. Michael English and David Meece were the worst IMO. Michael sings out of his range and strains all the time. But, I didn't care, because I was just happy to have the show and see some of my favs one more time before they take a dirt nap.

The mix sucked for the stream. Judging by how some of the people were consistently off, their monitor mixes in their ears and in the wedges were too loud or too low. Loudness affects pitch.

John has had a history of liking Coke, nuts, and all kinds of other stuff singers should not consume. AFAIK, John just walks out and does a show. He hasn't been vocal coached. He is "rock and roll" in every sense of the word, by just getting out of his chair, going on stage, delivering, and then walking off. You have to appreciate that. How many of your dads or grandpas could just get up and power through a rock show?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 am

brent wrote:Every vocalist is affected by stress, fear, temperature, humidity, sinus drainage, dust, smoke, diet, etc, etc. You are never going to get perfection out of anyone out of their prime. I didn't hear one performer, aside from Sandi Patty, give a perfect vocal delivery. Michael English and David Meece were the worst IMO. Michael sings out of his range and strains all the time. But, I didn't care, because I was just happy to have the show and see some of my favs one more time before they take a dirt nap.

The mix sucked for the stream. Judging by how some of the people were consistently off, their monitor mixes in their ears and in the wedges were too loud or too low. Loudness affects pitch.

John has had a history of liking Coke, nuts, and all kinds of other stuff singers should not consume. AFAIK, John just walks out and does a show. He hasn't been vocal coached. He is "rock and roll" in every sense of the word, by just getting out of his chair, going on stage, delivering, and then walking off. You have to appreciate that. How many of your dads or grandpas could just get up and power through a rock show?
John had just come back from India the day before too.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 am

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I was in the office and my wife was in the living room when I played this and she thought John sounded horrible, and I have to agree with her, not his best performance.

Also Ronny does not look good bald.

Shawn a user has flagged your post as abusive. I don't agree. What do I do?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 am

I hope that was an accident. That post was not abusive IMO. Abusive is Shawn insulting another poster. Saying something about a performance is not abusive. People need to have thick skin. John has told me himself that he knew some shows were rough. Was he abusive? Is it only abusive if someone other than the artist says it? What's the verdict?
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:46 am

One user flagging a comment doesn't make it abusive; it may have been a mistake. This is just someone's opinion about a show, and someone's opinion about a show doesn't equal abuse. There are others who said stuff along the same lines, should that be considered abuse too? One show is rather small in the big scheme of things, and there are a lot of factors as has been pointed out. I happen to think Ronny is kinda cute the way he is now, but it did take some getting used to, and that's just my opinion too. 8) :mrgreen: There I go saying someone is "cute" again. I think I would probably curl up and die if that word didn't exist. :P
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm

This is what was with the report "Horrible person, crappy post, and personal attack on the band members. Need I say more?"

Maybe the person who put the report in could explain it more? not my job.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Well, if that's the case, if they are going to be consistent, they should report everyone who didn't care for how John sounded or other stuff about the show that night. Another option (and a good one I think) is to consider private messaging the person they are having problems with and discussing it with them. As has been pointed out, there are a lot of factors and not every show will be the same, and everyone has their opinion. I wouldn't worry about one person complaining. Good grief, we have all made posts at some time or another that probably could have been reported. It's kind of unavoidable when you've been posting here long enough. :mrgreen: And that is a joke so please don't report me.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Dan wrote:
shawnpfan2010 wrote:I was in the office and my wife was in the living room when I played this and she thought John sounded horrible, and I have to agree with her, not his best performance.

Like you Dan I found nothing abusive or wrong with Shawnpfan post. I guess that user thinks this is stryperforum.com.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rlester
Pethead
Pethead

Post by rlester » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:11 pm

I think the negative comments about the vocals and how someone looks are maybe a bit of poor taste. Would you go up to John and say: "you sounded horrible on stage", or would you go up to Ronny and say: "You do not look good bald." I know I wouldn't!!! There was an earlier post saying that Ronny looked good bald, I thought so too.

Don't forget, there is every possibility that the band members are reading this forum, and for good reasons will never post. I was not the one who flagged the original post, but I also would not say this kind of stuff to someone's face, or on a forum. Just not proper etiquette in this situation. (IMHO)

We know nothing is perfect, and believe me, the artist almost always knows if their performance isn't totally up to snuff. That is not what we should be focusing on here. (IMHO) I also think that their performance was excellent considering the type of venue, lack of rehearsal time being they haven't played together for many years etc.. Just the fact of seeing them on stage together brought a tear to my eye. This was the best thing to happen to these five guys (bandwise) in the last 20 years. (IMHO)

I'm still thrilled at this small reunion and look forward to any more possible work they may do together! One can only hope and pray something happens, and kind words towards Petra can only help elevate their spirits.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Good points and a thoughtful post. However, it might have been better for the person who flagged the comment to make a post like yours, or to send a private message sharing their thoughts. And as I said earlier, there were similar comments made by several people.

It probably is wise to keep in mind you never know who might be reading.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:06 am

I didn't even know there WAS a thing such as flagging a post.

I don't see why anyone would say "horrible." He had one little blip - but other than that, he sounded GOOD. The whole band did.

Like Brent said, there are a lot of factors to consider with any singer in any situation.

But consider this - John's schedule leading up to Jan. 21:

Jan. 8 - fly to Arizona to see new granddaughter
Jan. 12 - fly back home to Nashville 5pm
Jan. 13 - fly to India 3pm (25+ hour flight)
Jan. 14 - still flying to India
Jan. 15 - finally get to India
Jan. 16 - practice with Indian band
Jan. 17 - concert
Jan. 18 - sleep!
Jan. 19 - fly back to Nashville (25+ hours)
Jan. 20 - arrive Nashville 9a.m
Jan. 20 - practice with Petra 5pm
Jan. 21 - arrive at concert venue 10am - stay until after 10pm

HOLY SCHLITT!! I can't IMAGINE a schedule like that... and I'm 12 years younger than John. There's NO way I could have done that; I don't know too many people who could.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 am

Dan wrote:

I feel it is more an observation than abuse. I have seen a lot worse comments in the past on this board.

And for the record, YES I would tell Ronny to his face, that he does not look good bald!! That is just my personality. I would not do it in a mean way, but I would tell him.

I would hope that a musical artist would have thicker skin than most people on this board. IMO they are in the wrong business if they get upset about every criticism or opinion someone has.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 am

For the record, I know I am going to be one ugly mamma jamma when I am bald. I am ugly now and my head is shaped weird. So, if I ever get on a stage and you are there, just look at me, point at my head, and I will say to you, "I KNOW! Crap!".
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Shell wrote:Good points and a thoughtful post. However, it might have been better for the person who flagged the comment to make a post like yours, or to send a private message sharing their thoughts. And as I said earlier, there were similar comments made by several people.

It probably is wise to keep in mind you never know who might be reading.
No need to pm a person if you feel they are abusing forum rules, in this case the post about John's voice was an opinion. This is not something frowned upon, we all have them. No forum rules are even close to being violated.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm not saying it's a requirement to pm someone; I'm suggesting that it might be worthwhile do that as a first step before doing anything else. There's nothing wrong with discussing a post or asking about a post by pm.

The consensus seems to be in this case it is someone's opinion, so it wouldn't apply here.
0 x