Petra Compete Tour list - help add missing dates.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sgale
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Revival

Re: Petra Compete Tour list - help add missing dates.

Post by sgale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello. I remember going to a Petra concert in 1986 while I was at OCS in Newport, RI. The concert would have been held btwn the months of March and August. It was at a small Christian college in either Mass or CT. I remember they had to end the concert early in the performance due to darkness (I think). It was held outdoors. Anyone remember this concert? I've been to three other Petra concerts, but this was my first one.
2 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 am

I found a new 1982 tour calendar in CCM magazine May 1982. Most dates agree with what's on the list, but there are a few conflicts and some additional dates. I'll list it in its entirety and leave you to decide how you want to include these dates:

All dates in 1982
May 1 Paris, TN
May 3 Atlanta, GA
May 4-15 Florida tour
May 28 Salisbury, MD
June 17 Baton Rouge, LA
June 18 Houston, TX
June 19 Dallas, TX
Aug 3 Highland, IN
Aug 7 West Covina, CA
Aug 21 Enid, OK
Aug 23 Springfield, MO
Aug 26 Knoxville, TN (World's Fair)
Sept 3 Baton Rouge, LA
Sept 4 New Orleans, LA
Sept 9 Columbus, OH
Sept 11 Archbold, OH
Sept 18 Nashville, TN

Then they say: Now scheduling fall tours.
Followed by this list: Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Chicago area, Wisconsin, Minneapolis, Denver, Grand Junction, Northwest Canada, Ruckin, B.C., Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma
1 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am

And I found a Back To The Street Australia tour flyer. All dates 1986:

Nov 28, Sydney, Entertainment Centre
Nov 29, Melbourne, Festival Hall
Nov 30, Perth, Entertainment Centre
Dec 1, Adelaide, Apollo Entertainment Centre
Dec 2, Hobart, Entertainment Centre
Dec 4, Brisbane, Festival Hall

And other date from the Best The System Australia tour (1986).
Feb 21, [Melbourne], Festival Hall
The ticket stub I have for this show is identical in layout to the Nov. 29 Melbourne ticket stub I have, so I assume the Feb 21 show took place in Melbourne.
1 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Thanks for the listings. We will look into it. Old tour schedules from magazines are with errors, and we need to have these dates confirmed by newspaper, ticket stubs or tour posters...
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:30 pm

[quote=p-freak post_id=177540 time=1610639957 user_id=47]
And I found a Back To The Street Australia tour flyer. All dates 1986:

Nov 28, Sydney, Entertainment Centre
Nov 29, Melbourne, Festival Hall
Nov 30, Perth, Entertainment Centre
Dec 1, Adelaide, Apollo Entertainment Centre
Dec 2, Hobart, Entertainment Centre
Dec 4, Brisbane, Festival Hall

And other date from the Best The System Australia tour (1986).
Feb 21, [Melbourne], Festival Hall
The ticket stub I have for this show is identical in layout to the Nov. 29 Melbourne ticket stub I have, so I assume the Feb 21 show took place in Melbourne.
[/quote]

Terje is correct: so many of the tour listings in CCM Magazine, and on posters and advertisements, are generated far in advance of the actual predicted dates, such that there is a large margin of error.

For the Nov/Dec listings above, it appears that the Nov 30-Dec 02 dates differ from what we have at the Petra tour history page. I checked my copy of the tour archive and the Nov 30 Hobart date we have was from a dated fan recollection, while the Dec 01 and 02 dates were from an advertisement.

No telling whether or not the fan recollection was off by a day or two, or whether the advertisement we used, or the listing from the flyer shown above, is more recent.

The bottom line is that ticket stubs and/or post-concert articles provide the best proof of actual show dates. We have access to the Sydney and Melbourne archived papers, but not the Adelaide, Hobart or Brisbane papers. So, it looks like we'll have to wait and see if anyone chimes in with actual stubs or concert reviews for those shows to 100% ascertain the correct dates for those performances.

As far as the Feb 21, 1986, show at Melbourne Festival Hall, I checked the Feb 21, 1986, issue of the Melbourne Age newspaper, and it only listed Feb 28 for Petra at Festival Hall. Nothing for Feb 21. Does your ticket stub show Feb 21 as the date? It is curious that Feb 21 and Feb 28 are on the same day of the week...
0 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 pm

[quote=p-freak post_id=177539 time=1610639536 user_id=47]
I found a new 1982 tour calendar in CCM magazine May 1982. Most dates agree with what's on the list, but there are a few conflicts and some additional dates. I'll list it in its entirety and leave you to decide how you want to include these dates:

All dates in 1982
May 1 Paris, TN
May 3 Atlanta, GA
May 4-15 Florida tour
May 28 Salisbury, MD
June 17 Baton Rouge, LA
June 18 Houston, TX
June 19 Dallas, TX
Aug 3 Highland, IN
Aug 7 West Covina, CA
Aug 21 Enid, OK
Aug 23 Springfield, MO
Aug 26 Knoxville, TN (World's Fair)
Sept 3 Baton Rouge, LA
Sept 4 New Orleans, LA
Sept 9 Columbus, OH
Sept 11 Archbold, OH
Sept 18 Nashville, TN

Then they say: Now scheduling fall tours.
Followed by this list: Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Chicago area, Wisconsin, Minneapolis, Denver, Grand Junction, Northwest Canada, Ruckin, B.C., Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma
[/quote]

Thanks for the post.

These early itineraries are among the most variable, time wise, that I've seen. As such, the dates changed, often drastically, as the tour went on.

I can say that we have verified that the Aug 07 date was, indeed, Citrus College Stadium in Glendora. Likewise, the Sep 11 date in Wauseon has been verified as well. Wauseon and Archbold are only 14 minutes apart, which may factor into the difference for the Sep 11 listing.

That said, I"ll scan the Knoxville and Baton Rouge newspaper archives to see what I can find for the Aug 26 and Sep 03 concerts.

Thanks, again, and stay tuned! ...
1 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 am

Hello.

I remember going to a Petra concert in 1986 while I was at OCS in Newport, RI. The concert would have been held between the months of March and August. It was at a small Christian college in either Mass or CT. Anyone remember this concert?

I've been to three other Petra concerts, but this was my first one.

Thanks for your post. This is very intriguing!

From everything I've read and heard, the band's first US show with John was the Apr 19, 1986, show at Six Flags over Mid-America in Missouri. This would place the concert you saw at some point between late April and the first week in September, when the band began their joint tour with DeGarmo & Key.

The CCM Magazine on tour scans I have for 1986 begin in September, which means either that there weren't any listings prior to that for Petra in the magazine or the issues in question were missing from the library that housed the CCM archives.

Either way, aside from the Apr-Aug dates we already know, pinpointing the Massachusetts/Connecticut show would be difficult given the number of Christian colleges in those two states along with the abundance of available concerts dates during that five-month span.

I did search the newspaper archives for which I have access using "Petra" AND "Christian College," but that turned up blank.

If I had to guess, I'd put the show after the western Canada tour in June, perhaps in late August when they played a series of dates up north, but, again, that would just be a guess.

Perhaps someone here has access to the Apr-Aug issues of CCM and can check to see whether any Petra concerts were listed in the back of the magazine in the On Tour section.

Of course, if any additional information bubbles to the surface of your memory, don't hesitate to let us know. And I will keep digging on this end as well.

Thanks, again, and God bless!
0 x

petrapaul
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1995

Post by petrapaul » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:01 pm

As part of my recent Petra research, I ran across the following dates that I don't think I saw in the big list at the top of the thread:

Jan. 21, 1983: Pensacola, FL, University of West Florida Commons (the blurb in the Pensacola newspaper mentions they just released MPTY, but doesn''t say whether this is part of the official MPTY tour)
Feb. 28, 1984: Abilene, TX, Hardin-Simmons University, Behrens Chapel Auditorium
March 23-24, 1985: Houston, TX, University of Houston, Hofheinz Pavilion (both shows apparently sold out)

And a little more info on one of the dates you had:

May 8, 1982: Fort Myers, FL, Fort Myers High School

Hope this is helpful!
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks for posting.
But we already had these dates in the tour list:
https://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tourlistpetra.htm
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

BoDean
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by BoDean » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Hello! Love the site. I'm hoping to find answers for a concert with Josh McDowell in May 1991. On the concert schedule a show for May 9, 1991 @ Joplin, Missouri is listed. I have attached a link to a newspaper article from the Springfield News-Leader that indicates it was on Wednesday, May 8. However, my main inquiry is this: I was a youth pastor in Miami, Oklahoma during that time and I'm very sure I took a group to see Petra / Josh McDowell on Tuesday, May 28, 1991. My only confirmation of this right now is a notation with a date in my Bible. I have looked at the schedule on this website and May 28, 1991 would have come one week after a 5-show stint in Europe and 11 days before the resumption of the tour in San Antonio on June 8, 1991. I'm wondering if someone else went to that concert. I believe it was in Joplin also. Did Petra and Josh have to postpone on May 8 and reschedule for May 28? Looking forward to getting some new info. Love the site by the way!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=102 ... 6923547104
3 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Nice catch on the May 1991 show at Missouri Southern State College in Joplin! We'll get that one changed in our tour archive.

Regarding the May 28, 1991, show, are you certain that the date in your Bible is May 28 and not May 08? It seems unlikely -- although, admittedly, not impossible -- that the band would play the same city twice in such a very short period of time. Of course, the May 28 show could have been somewhere other than Joplin.

As you mentioned, the show may have been moved from May 8 to May 28. Unfortunately, it looks as though the last issue of the student newspaper for the spring 1991 session at MSSC was published on May 2, 1991, so no review of the show is available via that source, which might have provided definitive proof of the concert date.

Either way, thanks for your message. We'll do some research on a May 28, 1991, concert and see if anything bubbles to the top.

Blessings!
1 x

BoDean
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by BoDean » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have checked my notation several times and it is clearly May 28. It may have been in another venue around the Joplin area. I will also keep investigating.
Thanks again,
JB
1 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:06 am

Hi, all,

Just a quick note to mirror the new post I began yesterday: lots of new shows added to the tour list.

Please take a few minutes to glance at our concert history page and let us know if you see a show we missed.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Bert

https://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tourlistpetra.htm
1 x

Steelrateman
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Steelrateman » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:15 am

Petra played Ohio Northern University in Ada Ohio on Nov 6 1987 as part of the This Means War tour. John had the crowd join him for All Hail the Power of Jesus Name. But the best part of the night was one of my best friends met and accepted Jesus at the concert. This is why This Means War is my favorite Petra Album
2 x