CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: CPR

Post by p-freak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm

executioner wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am
Agree with the JAH2 comment. Bob should do what he likes not what he thinks the market will be.
Hasn't that always been the way that Bob approached Petra? I don't think they were so much leading the Christian market as following the mainstream market. That has always been one of the strengths of Petra. They always sounded like the Christian alternative of what was current in the mainstream market. If Bob isn't confident he can still do that, or is not interesting in still doing that, what's the point of doing a JAH2? And if CPR isn't able to do that either, what's the point of BTTR II?

December 31, 2005 should have stayed Petra's last concert in any sort, shape or form. No reunion, no Classic Petra, no CPR. Going out with a modest bang would've been so much better than simpering and petering out, which is exactly what CPR is. A very nice trip down memory lane, but it only prolongs the end if they so clearly try to be some sort of Petra. If you want to do memory lane good, dig up some old concerts and start releasing a live back in the day series. There's enough material out there to make an excellent series of bootleg CDs/DVDs. I know quite some people are sitting on some excellent material, and I'm sure the vaults at TBN, Fire By Nite, EMI, Word etc. have loads of long unseen material.
4 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:44 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:41 pm
If Bob wants to write more songs, then he should Kickstarter Jekyll & Hyde II. Forget the industry; just do something he enjoys.
My impression is that Bob doesn't have an ego, or at least has a very small one. He doesn't need or care about the limelight and is happy just doing his own thing even if nobody else really notices.

And he did do his own thing recently without any concern for the market. It's called "Guitar Legacy". I think he prefers a low key project like that to trying to produce another Petra album.

(And by the way, Guitar Legacy is awesome.)
Last edited by Mountain Man on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 pm

p-freak wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm
If you want to do memory lane good, dig up some old concerts and start releasing a live back in the day series. There's enough material out there to make an excellent series of bootleg CDs/DVDs. I know quite some people are sitting on some excellent material, and I'm sure the vaults at TBN, Fire By Nite, EMI, Word etc. have loads of long unseen material.
I want a special edition double CD of Captured In Time and Space based on the cassette cut of the album which at 90-minutes was the longest and most complete version to be released.
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:03 pm

At this stage in Bob’s life, why does he need BTTR 2, J&H 2, or anything else Petra related. He’s done everything you can do up in Christian music, and has a well deserved retirement in front of him. Look at the lyrics to Godpleaser. Based on the lives his music has changed, his Father will say “well done.” The Classic Petra and CPR projects would have been great... had Star Song not beat those songs to death with compilation after compilation over the years. It’s just time to move on.
1 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up

Post by cvs2kids » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am

blayze5150 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:03 pm
At this stage in Bob’s life, why does he need BTTR 2, J&H 2, or anything else Petra related. He’s done everything you can do up in Christian music, and has a well deserved retirement in front of him. Look at the lyrics to Godpleaser. Based on the lives his music has changed, his Father will say “well done.” The Classic Petra and CPR projects would have been great... had Star Song not beat those songs to death with compilation after compilation over the years. It’s just time to move on.
I get what you're saying, but if he enjoys putting out new music and it doesn't cost him anything, then go for it! At this point, I'm sure the road life has next to no appeal.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 am

Greg Bailey replaces Ronny Cates: https://www.cprband.rocks/the-band
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:17 am

p-freak wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm
executioner wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am
Agree with the JAH2 comment. Bob should do what he likes not what he thinks the market will be.
Hasn't that always been the way that Bob approached Petra? I don't think they were so much leading the Christian market as following the mainstream market. That has always been one of the strengths of Petra. They always sounded like the Christian alternative of what was current in the mainstream market. If Bob isn't confident he can still do that, or is not interesting in still doing that, what's the point of doing a JAH2? And if CPR isn't able to do that either, what's the point of BTTR II?

December 31, 2005 should have stayed Petra's last concert in any sort, shape or form. No reunion, no Classic Petra, no CPR. Going out with a modest bang would've been so much better than simpering and petering out, which is exactly what CPR is. A very nice trip down memory lane, but it only prolongs the end if they so clearly try to be some sort of Petra. If you want to do memory lane good, dig up some old concerts and start releasing a live back in the day series. There's enough material out there to make an excellent series of bootleg CDs/DVDs. I know quite some people are sitting on some excellent material, and I'm sure the vaults at TBN, Fire By Nite, EMI, Word etc. have loads of long unseen material.
Yep. I agree and have been saying this for years. Think about a dinner party. You want to leave the party on top, making people miss you and want you to return. When you overstay your welcome, make the rounds, telling people your leaving, but you never do, people will tire of you. They should have quit in 05 with J&H and a tour. On the 10th anniversary of their retirement, they should have come back with the follow-up to J&H.
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Greg Bailey really? Next Louie will be too busy with his driving that a ringer will replace him. Ronny was the draw card for this, because he kept a low profile after he left Petra. I just can't get into the CPR thing. Nothing ever works unless Bob is involved, that's just the way it is. CCM died in 1994. It was a miracle that Petra made it to 2005. This is looking more like Farewell with Greg X. Honestly you can see that they are not serious about the album just by looking at the cover art that was done with Microsoft paint from Windows 3.1.

I too would put my money behind archive footage from the 80's and 90's, Bob has a market there if he want's it.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

What I find really "interesting" is that when CPR was announced, they said it wasn't Petra, it wasn't Classic Petra - it was CPR.

But now, I'm seeing the band being referred to as "Classic Petra Revisited" or "Classic Petra Returns" in a number of places, including Creation NE.
https://creationfest.com/ne/lineup/

IMHO, not really Classic Petra at all, since CPR is missing at least one KEY member.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 pm

p-freak wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 am
So they just skipped Lonnie Chapin altogether. They're moving out of sequence!
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 am

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 pm
p-freak wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 am
So they just skipped Lonnie Chapin altogether. They're moving out of sequence!
Lonnie Chapin got Lichensed.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

sue d. wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm
What I find really "interesting" is that when CPR was announced, they said it wasn't Petra, it wasn't Classic Petra - it was CPR.

But now, I'm seeing the band being referred to as "Classic Petra Revisited" or "Classic Petra Returns" in a number of places, including Creation NE.

IMHO, not really Classic Petra at all, since CPR is missing at least one KEY member.
Ha! I've been saying all along that it stood for "Classic Petra Redux".
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

Let's just hope it doesn't stands for "Can't Produce Revenue."
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Changing Players Repeatedly
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am

sue d. wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

I don't know if it was Creation or the band that decided to go with Classic Petra Returns, but in fairness to Creation, they are scrambling to do anything they can to keep the festival together. I could see them promoting CPR as Classic Petra to generate interest. It appears they have had some trouble filling out their schedule for what was supposed to be a big 40th anniversary celebration. I suspect that when word broke in Nashville regarding their founder being arrested, a lot of artists did not want to attach their name to the festival.
0 x