CPR

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: CPR

Post by dihigo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

gman wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am
sue d. wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm
What I find really "interesting" is that when CPR was announced, they said it wasn't Petra, it wasn't Classic Petra - it was CPR.

But now, I'm seeing the band being referred to as "Classic Petra Revisited" or "Classic Petra Returns" in a number of places, including Creation NE.
https://creationfest.com/ne/lineup/

IMHO, not really Classic Petra at all, since CPR is missing at least one KEY member.
I don't know if it was Creation or the band that decided to go with Classic Petra Returns, but in fairness to Creation, they are scrambling to do anything they can to keep the festival together. I could see them promoting CPR as Classic Petra to generate interest. It appears they have had some trouble filling out their schedule for what was supposed to be a big 40th anniversary celebration. I suspect that when word broke in Nashville regarding their founder being arrested, a lot of artists did not want to attach their name to the festival.
The photo CPR chose to use for Creation is very telling. After comparing all the other artists' photos in the lineup section, theirs is the only one pieced together. You can tell that the rest of the bands had a marketing budget.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

dihigo wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am
The photo CPR chose to use for Creation is very telling. After comparing all the other artists' photos in the lineup section, theirs is the only one pieced together.
But at least Louie isn't photoshopped in...
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 am

dihigo wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am
Let's just hope it doesn't stands for "Can't Produce Revenue."
Like I said, what is essentially a tribute band with no money, no marketing, and no original material is not going to be much of a draw. They need to be their own band instead of trying to ride on Petra's coattails.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 pm

John Lawry just posted today on Facebook his battle with pancreatic cancer while working on the CPR project. Thanks to God he has been given the clear from cancer after having it sugically removed. Some of the comments here in the Zone about this project, his work, have been appalling. very insensitive and uncalled for. I can't understand how can we not appreciate John's and the bands efforts to give us more. John sacrificed so much to complete this project, while some here are all High and Mighty behind their keyboards being experts of "good taste". Good grief. So sad what the Zone has come to.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 pm
John Lawry just posted today on Facebook his battle with pancreatic cancer while working on the CPR project. Thanks to God he has been given the clear from cancer after having it sugically removed. Some of the comments here in the Zone about this project, his work, have been appalling. very insensitive and uncalled for. I can't understand how can we not appreciate John's and the bands efforts to give us more. John sacrificed so much to complete this project, while some here are all High and Mighty behind their keyboards being experts of "good taste". Good grief. So sad what the Zone has come to.
Wow, prayers going up for Johnny!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Sad to here about JL's health. Glad he is on the upside.

Fans are fans. There are all kinds with all kinds of opinions. Everyone has their opinion. Thanks to the internet, it is easier to get one out and it is easier to be offended. Personally, I don't find anything posted here to be offensive, because people are being protective of "their Petra", whatever that happens to be.
1 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 am

fcollazo wrote:
That's amazing that he kept working on the project and I'm glad that he is cancer free. That would totally explain the delays of the release too. I'm really glad he's doing okay. I've actually dreaded the day that we hear of one of the members passing away. We've been spared that so far.

We all love the band in some form or another. Why else would we still be on a site, an unofficial one at that, for a band that "retired" in 2005? That being said, they are imperfect and sinners just like us. Every person, in every field, undergoes a degree of criticism at their jobs. This album is not "annointed" from heaven. It's just a group of guys from different eras in the band's history that got together and re-recorded a bunch of existing material. Some of the greatest albums of music in all of history have their flaws/fillers/songs out of place/etc. and have been criticized. If the guys can't take some criticism from their #1 fans, then what would that say about them? If you're going to re-record classics, that's going to draw extra criticism. They better be as good or better than the originals as they have a lot to live up to. I have a right to my opinion since I bought that material. On some, they succeeded. On some, it's debatable. On a minority, they failed. I love the band and its members. It doesn't mean that they have to be perfect or do everything just as I want to receive love. I mean, who would you love if those were the requirements?
2 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am

fcollazo wrote:
Sad to hear about Lawry's health problems, but that doesn't change anything about the quality of the CPR album or how fans feel about it.

And I'm with brent, I haven't seen anything in this thread that I would characterize as disrespectful or mean-spirited. People have given their opinions about the music and the viability of this lineup of musicians. That's not disrespect.
2 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am

I'm sorry to hear about Johnny's health issues. It can be tricky when you can't see or hear someone. It can be easy to read more into what you read on a messageboard than is intended; it's probably wise not to take this stuff personally. We all have our opinions, taste and favorite Petra eras. That doesn't equal disrespect for the band members. We should put ourselves in their shoes also however, and ask ourselves what we might do with a limited budget and the way the market can be.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm

fcollazo wrote:

Once again words being taken out of context(got to love the internet). We all have different tastes & opinions about music and band members of Petra its how we were made. I gave an honest opinion about what I heard on the new album and frankly it just didn't suit my tastes. I've always been one to just leave the classics alone and remember them as they were "classics" I felt like the the first classic Petra had too many classics on there and believe they should have done 10 new songs and put 2 classics on there and this should been done in the same vein and yet my comments are considered insensitive, appalling, and uncalled for. I've never said I didn't appreciate what Johnny and the others were trying to do, I just feel like it missed the mark.
i'm sorry that you feel this way because its not my intention and I was just giving an honest opinion on what I heard. I think Johnny and the band members would prefer honesty over being two face and saying all great things about it. I'M REAL HOW ABOUT YOU?
2 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Good to hear John is pulling through!
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:42 pm

2 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 pm

b550593c709889610f1d2e365d12e7a7.jpg
b550593c709889610f1d2e365d12e7a7.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
1 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Wow! I lost my dad (at 54) to pancreatic cancer. It's a killer. Sounds like Johnny dodged a bullet!
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Cancer just plain sucks.
0 x