Looking for Wise Council...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Looking for Wise Council...

Post by wildmanpetra » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:32 pm

So, lately I have been wondering about many things. Things always change etc. While in High Sschool and up until recently I had only listened to and supported christian music. If the lyrics weren’t clearly Christian I would not support. Lately, as a musician I have been moved my stories that are behind the secular songs that were written. Many of the songs I used to boycott were merely a young artist simply expressing themselves, and what they were facing at the time. Most of the time searching... (Michael Sweets Book Honeslty really helped me understand what musicians go through. I admit I was very legalistic, now that things are slowly changing for me, I feel like I would be betraying Petra and all the other Christian bands that had an influence on me, if now I turn around and listen to secular as well. Anyone else faced with this dilemma? Any words of advice? I only want to have a life pleasing to Him...If in fact all can be in a Christains music library, is there a line to be drawn?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Looking for Wise Council...

Post by brent » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Here is my .02:

1. We are more than Christianese speech. We are not limited to it. We can biblically converse about all things relative to our experiences on this planet.
2. The fact we have portions of our church services and music industry called praise or worship is laughable. Everything we do should be doing this. Praising, worshiping and pleasing God go beyond religious activities. Even the lost praise God. Rocks praise God. In the bible, we have God saying he is pleased with creation doing what creation does. Man pleases and praises God simply by breathing, working, having a family, raising children, etc.
3. We are told to sing to each other and sing to God.
4. Music was used to work up the people before war.
5. A Christian label on the music means nothing to me. I know for a fact there are secular people involved in all facets of it, because it is a commercial product. There are Christians involved in all facets of secular music.
6. There is some very unbiblical Christian music out there. There is some very biblical secular music out there. Before the advent of CCM, there were secular artists exposing the world to Christian concepts before Christian artists could, in all types of musical genres.
7. The beautiful thing about music and all other art forms is, it is all open to interpretation.
8. Some music shouldn't have a meaning. It should just be fun.

That's all I have time for now. I will leave you with this. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." None of these things are exclusive to Christianese music or the Christian life.

Now, I do listen to music from time to time, from idiots I don't agree with. I listen to see if they are honestly evil, or if it is showbiz. Many times, it's showbiz. I also listen to what is popular, to hear the voices and messages resonating with the majority. This is helpful. Every youth director and parent should be doing this, to know what is going on in the lives of their kids.
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by blayze5150 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:51 pm

I choose to listen to mostly Christian music (almost exclusively) because of the effect most secular music has on me. For example, if I listen to some Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen for some guitar inspiration, I eventually find myself listening to worse and worse stuff until it starts hurting me spiritually. That is how it effects me... others are different. Some people have no issue listening to whatever. It’s just not for me. The best council I can offer is Philippians 2:12. This is something you should seek God on, and people in your church who know and love you. I wish with all of my heart that The Christian music industry had not evolved from the new frontier of evangelism to a often jaded, money making machine, but it is the nature of this world. If a guy in a suit can turn a profit by imitating a prophet, that’s what he’s going to do. There are controversial and jaded stories that go back to the pioneers of Christian rock music... but none of us are perfect. I’ll stick to the songs that lift the name of Jesus, no matter the motivation behind them. Besides... I’d put the skills of Bob Hartman, Phil Keaggy, Rex Carroll and Lincoln Brewster against those of any secular guitarist any day. Just my opinion. It’s funny: I was just thinking about this today myself.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:15 am

This will be different for everyone, just as drinking wine or eating meat is different for everyone. The bible tells us not to judge, because we are not all of the same conviction. We are not the same spiritually. You have to protect yourself from what you are exposed to. We are to protect ourselves from what teachers and pastors teach incorrectly. So, you WILL have to protect yourselves from something labeled Christian music, in any genre.

I am going to make a jab at a band here. I like progressive rock/metal, and I find Dream Theatre. I don't have a problem with their lyrics lots of times because they are telling stories, not their thoughts or points of view, and I usually can't understand James LaBrie's vocals. The band has even played into it from time to time, by singing parody or non-sense vocals that rhyme phonetically. Maybe there is a new market for someone to tap into, just for the Christian market.
1 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by blayze5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 am

I really appreciate this thread, because this is really at the front of my mind right now (btw: I love Dream Theater, too, Brent. Images and Words is one of my all time favorite albums). I really wish Christian music was like it was about 20-30 years ago. There was so much, and it was so easy to find.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by Shell » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Interesting post. I agree with the idea that we should be discerning about what we listen to and watch. However, it's not the music itself that is the problem. It is the lyrics and the attitude behind them. I agree with Brent that labeling something Christian doesn't necessarily make it Christian. There is plenty of nonsense in the Christian music industry too, and that will be the case anywhere you have people. For the most part, I don't think the secular music industry claims to be following Biblical principles. To me, it's worse to claim to be a Christian and then not live that way. Just my take.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 pm

I agree that secular music has a lot to offer. I listen to a lot of secular music in addition to Christian music, and I think you are really missing out if you completely limit yourself. Do we limit ourselves to Christian movies or TV programs? Do we only associate with other Christians? As long as you can discern what is life-giving and not internalize what isn't, I think it's fine. Sometimes understanding where the artist is coming from makes all the difference, and we are all human.

There are certain bands that I enjoy that have lyrics I profoundly disagree with, but this is true of Christian bands as well.

Count me in as another Dream Theater and prog fan, btw. Scenes from a Memory would be my favourite album.
0 x