CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by dihigo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:37 pm

0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by pmal » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 am

Looks like the promoter is.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Actually, Greg has done it too. Meh. Who cares at this point? It's not they are competing with any other incarnation.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 am

They're just admitting what we knew all along, that the "CP" in "CPR" stands for Classic Petra.

I still have no interest in any incarnation without Bob Hartman.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am

The picture has Bob Hartman in it:

Greg X has always struggled to make a band without invoking the use of the Petra name, who can blame him? the peak of his personal popularity was with Petra. It's not like John doesn't use the Petra or Head East for marketing, but at least you know what you're getting.
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya

Post by stsmedia » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:39 pm

Actually, so is Bob...at least on his website (lower right sidebar).

http://www.houseofbob.com
1 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm

The thing that bugs me is that when the band first announced itself, they made it CLEAR that this was CPR. Not Petra, not Classic Petra, but CPR.

You could interpret that however you wanted to because they never actually came out and said what it means... and now, all of a sudden it's Classic Petra Revisited. Really? this is not the same line-up as Classic Petra, and one person was never even in Petra.

So if people were not aware of who is actually IN this band, and they come there expecting to see the real Classic Petra with Bob, or even Mark Kelly -- they're in for a big disappointment.

This bugs me. Almost like false advertising... people are not getting what is being advertised.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Do people really care? As long as Greg is in front, singing his songs, or John is in front of some guys singing his songs, do people care who was in the band? I don't think so. Consider Foreigner. Some nights, there are NO original members. It is the best Foreigner cover band on the planet. Mick isn't even playing all of the gigs. There are incarnations of bands out there, with no originals members at all. The name is selling and the people just want to hear the tunes.

This CPR guitarist doesn't play the parts the same way as Bob, but that isn't the first time we had to adjust. Remember Pete? He couldn't play Petra riffs or solos at all.
1 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Bob currently says on his website it's called Classic Petra Reunion, and has a link to the CPR website on his own site.
Greg X called it Classic Petra Revival on short video promoting the Creation Fest gig.

So who cares at this point. The 2 people that ran and made Classic possible are calling it Classic Petra.

And about Kirk. No Petra Incarnation has had 100% original members since 1977. So who can say Kirk is not in the role as Lichens, Orta, Gibson amd Brandow where before. Are they not past Petra members. They played in the band when Bob was not there. So to me Kirk is now a Petra member. And I could not think of a better guy than him. The guy is legit, has real chops, played with one of the most musically revered bands Kings X, has a solid walk with God and actually ministers on Facebook with weekly devotionals. The Kings X bassist was once offered the bass player position for Petra. Kirk has played Greg on his first 4 solo albums. The connections with Petra are there. And actually the official Petra media outlets promote CPR too, so chill out and enjoy them.
1 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:46 pm

sue d. wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm
The thing that bugs me is that when the band first announced itself, they made it CLEAR that this was CPR. Not Petra, not Classic Petra, but CPR.

You could interpret that however you wanted to because they never actually came out and said what it means... and now, all of a sudden it's Classic Petra Revisited. Really? this is not the same line-up as Classic Petra, and one person was never even in Petra.

So if people were not aware of who is actually IN this band, and they come there expecting to see the real Classic Petra with Bob, or even Mark Kelly -- they're in for a big disappointment.

This bugs me. Almost like false advertising... people are not getting what is being advertised.
Par for the course for old bands. I've heard stories of some older acts performing under a popular name even though only one person on stage was part of the original band.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 pm
No Petra Incarnation has had 100% original members since 1977. So who can say Kirk is not in the role as Lichens, Orta, Gibson amd Brandow where before. Are they not past Petra members. They played in the band when Bob was not there.
Except that Bob was still actively working with the band writing songs and playing in the studio. He just wasn't the "face" of Petra for a short period of time. It's the only reason I accept those albums as legitimate Petra. Which brings us back to a question I've asked before: What is it that makes Petra, Petra? Is it a certain line-up of musicians? Is it the songs? is it just a name? Would CPR still be considered "Classic Petra" if they played and recorded only original music?

For me, personally, it's very hard to accept any band without Bob Hartman playing an active role as genuine Petra.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm

If I remember correctly Petra started touring with no original members in 1995. After that they changed members almost all the time for some years.

I get the impression they still plan to call themselves CPR. It is what is on their website and on their facebook page. When I look in the mirror, I am starting to feel a little old at times. When I look at CPR, they are starting to look a little old.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Before Petra, Doug was asked to be in a band w/Greg X Volz, but not Petra. I don't think Doug was asked to join Petra. He only filled in a couple of times while Mark was off, taking care of his family. By the time Mark left, Kings X was in full swing. The Kings X guys did do some touring with Phil K, Morgan Cryar, etc. When Picture This was open for Morgan, we were told by Vito (Morgan's collaborator and keyboardist) that the Kings X boys had to go. Morgan fired the whole band. Playing at church camps and churches was too much a temptation for the boys and they caved. It's a good thing Doug never joined Petra. It would have been devastating to the ministry if Doug had faked it all that time and then "came out".
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:23 pm

curt wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm
If I remember correctly Petra started touring with no original members in 1995. After that they changed members almost all the time for some years.

I get the impression they still plan to call themselves CPR. It is what is on their website and on their facebook page. When I look in the mirror, I am starting to feel a little old at times. When I look at CPR, they are starting to look a little old.
It was the John and Louie show after 95. The band was alright, but it did not have the same vibe.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:31 pm

curt wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm
If I remember correctly Petra started touring with no original members in 1995.
Yes, that's the period when Bob stopped touring and focused entirely on songwriting and studio work. I think the only reason they were able to pull off the road show is because by that point, John Schlitt had become a key member of the band (at the time, he had held the lead singer spot longer than Greg Volz), and so it was fairly easy for people to accept them as Petra as long as John was on stage.
0 x