CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
User avatar
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:44 am
Pethead since: 1993
Location: Sheboygan Falls, WI
x 10
Contact:

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by sue d. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:18 pm

I agree with you, Mountain Man.

"And actually the official Petra media outlets promote CPR too, so chill out and enjoy them."

What outlets are those? The only "official Petra media outlet" that I see is Facebook and that copies to Twitter. Other than that... what outlet?
0 x
Image

curt
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am
x 84

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by curt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am

brent wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm
Before Petra, Doug was asked to be in a band w/Greg X Volz, but not Petra. I don't think Doug was asked to join Petra. He only filled in a couple of times while Mark was off, taking care of his family. By the time Mark left, Kings X was in full swing. The Kings X guys did do some touring with Phil K, Morgan Cryar, etc. When Picture This was open for Morgan, we were told by Vito (Morgan's collaborator and keyboardist) that the Kings X boys had to go. Morgan fired the whole band. Playing at church camps and churches was too much a temptation for the boys and they caved. It's a good thing Doug never joined Petra. It would have been devastating to the ministry if Doug had faked it all that time and then "came out".
"In 1979, Pinnick got an offer to move to Springfield, Missouri, and join a re-formed version of the popular Christian band Petra. That lineup, which included New Jersey émigré Jerry Gaskill, broke up a month after Pinnick arrived."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... th-186070/
0 x

User avatar
pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:44 am
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985
Location: South Carolina
x 40
Contact:

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by pmal » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:04 am

Whatever the name is, they sound pretty good and Kirk can play:



1 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3946
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:56 am
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980
Location: Earth
x 51

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by executioner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm just not interested in this version especially without Bob; Classic Petra was alright for me, saw them twice in concert but as most around knows I'm not a GXV fan at all, some personal, some musical, and some ministry wise. He is just not my cup of tea.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by brent » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 am

curt wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am
brent wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm
Before Petra, Doug was asked to be in a band w/Greg X Volz, but not Petra. I don't think Doug was asked to join Petra. He only filled in a couple of times while Mark was off, taking care of his family. By the time Mark left, Kings X was in full swing. The Kings X guys did do some touring with Phil K, Morgan Cryar, etc. When Picture This was open for Morgan, we were told by Vito (Morgan's collaborator and keyboardist) that the Kings X boys had to go. Morgan fired the whole band. Playing at church camps and churches was too much a temptation for the boys and they caved. It's a good thing Doug never joined Petra. It would have been devastating to the ministry if Doug had faked it all that time and then "came out".
"In 1979, Pinnick got an offer to move to Springfield, Missouri, and join a re-formed version of the popular Christian band Petra. That lineup, which included New Jersey émigré Jerry Gaskill, broke up a month after Pinnick arrived."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... th-186070/
Yeah, it wasn't THE Petra band as we know it. The rumor was that Doug was offered the position later, after Mark Kelly left.
0 x

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2506
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA
x 60

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by Dan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am

Greg X is a totally underrated singer, I can't work out why he wasn't a house hold name. He probably should have taken the secular path in the 80's for a bit just to get some exposure.
1 x

User avatar
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:01 am
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992
Location: The Netherlands
x 35
Contact:

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by p-freak » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:01 pm

stsmedia wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:39 pm
Actually, so is Bob...at least on his website (lower right sidebar).

http://www.houseofbob.com
It links to classicpetra.com which is redirected to cprband.rocks, so could be a leftover from when Classic Petra still existed.
0 x
Image

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by brent » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am
Greg X is a totally underrated singer, I can't work out why he wasn't a house hold name. He probably should have taken the secular path in the 80's for a bit just to get some exposure.
He would have been too old to break in the secular market. But, when he lived in Florida, he hooked up with a guitar player. They wrote an album together. Greg intended for it to be similar to a Sammy Hagar type sound. Greg and the guitar player got sideways and Greg shelved the album. He said he still has it.
0 x

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2506
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA
x 60

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by Dan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:07 pm

brent wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am
Greg X is a totally underrated singer, I can't work out why he wasn't a house hold name. He probably should have taken the secular path in the 80's for a bit just to get some exposure.
He would have been too old to break in the secular market. But, when he lived in Florida, he hooked up with a guitar player. They wrote an album together. Greg intended for it to be similar to a Sammy Hagar type sound. Greg and the guitar player got sideways and Greg shelved the album. He said he still has it.
I would pay to hear that.
0 x

User avatar
zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:22 pm
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989
x 25

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by zman7720000 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:35 pm

I do love these guys. But why does Greg insist on wearing that "lightning" shirt as every concert?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

User avatar
BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 am
Pethead since: 1989
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
x 12

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by BriGuyPEI » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Would CPR still be considered "Classic Petra" if they played and recorded only original music?
By all of the reasoning in this thread, then why isn't GHF considered "something Petra"? All members are original members and they play a mix of Petra tunes and new originals.
0 x

User avatar
dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 pm
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988
Location: Nashville, TN
x 22
Contact:

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by dihigo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 am

zman7720000 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:35 pm
I do love these guys. But why does Greg insist on wearing that "lightning" shirt as every concert?
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want to sound negative. I'm glad I'm not the only one that bugs. Maybe we should start a Go Fund Greg account for a new rockin' wardrobe. He wore that same shirt when Classic Petra played here in Nashville back in 2012.
535749_3227377284137_2084202497_n.jpg
Greg's lightning t-shirt
535749_3227377284137_2084202497_n.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2506
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA
x 60

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I think Petra members find it hard to give up clothes they like. Bob Hartman was wearing the blue shirt with white cactus (from the PP1 album art) in 1993 concerts, 2005 in Australia and still probably wears it fishing. It's hard to let a good article of clothing die. John Schlitt too that green shirt with the number on it from the J&H tour, and the leather jacket from the last decade. I have a hard time giving up my t-shirts, they literally have to fall off me from wear and tare.
0 x

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 191

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:59 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Would CPR still be considered "Classic Petra" if they played and recorded only original music?
By all of the reasoning in this thread, then why isn't GHF considered "something Petra"? All members are original members and they play a mix of Petra tunes and new originals.
Who's GHF?

Whoever they are, I would suspect it's because they don't market themselves as Petra, not even obliquely like CPR did.
0 x

User avatar
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:44 am
Pethead since: 1993
Location: Sheboygan Falls, WI
x 10
Contact:

Re: CPR is now openly marketing themselves as Classic Petra

Post by sue d. » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 am

GHF is "God Has Forgiven." They are three of the four original Petra members: John DeGroff (bass), Bill Glover (drums), and Greg Hough (guitar).

https://www.facebook.com/ghfrocks/

Try out this version of Without You I Would Surely Die
https://youtu.be/Jj-xS9horT4

John DeGroff just came out with a new album - prog rock, heavy on the bass and awesome with John Schlitt on a few vocal tracks! Listen here:
https://johndegroff.bandcamp.com/album/salt
0 x
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests