CPR Original Material Album

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Re: CPR Original Material Album

Post by BriGuyPEI » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:24 am

brent wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 am
Unfortunately, you are likely going to get something very 80s pop rock, with more laid back tunes and only a few rockers.
That sounds like CPR is basically just the backing band for a continuance of GXV's solo career.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 am

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:24 am
brent wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 am
Unfortunately, you are likely going to get something very 80s pop rock, with more laid back tunes and only a few rockers.
That sounds like CPR is basically just the backing band for a continuance of GXV's solo career.
Since none of them but GXV write, it basically is.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:00 pm

I think you are correct, but only because GXV has so many songs and albums in the can already. The average song writer only has so many winners. He has most creative influence because he has to sing it. GVX has brought his solo or previous band's songs to Petra projects. How does someone draw a line in the creative sand with GXV songs on the left and CP on the right when they are so close? Can there be a line? I dunno.

Will it be GXV alone that drives the sound and the mix? Probably not. Everyone brings something to the mix. Listen to Petra with and after Greg. Listen to Greg after Petra. Listen to John Lawry's solo record, or his work on Joe English's albums. The the lack of influence and pushback from the missing member(s) is revealed in the sound, arrangements, tone, etc. Louie likes pop rock music. That will shine through, if he records. When he is asked to play something for sound check, it is usually something poppy, or on the other extreme, something very Toto-ish. Greg has never had any music released that was very hard. He has released AC or AOR at best. This will shine through. The rock music these guys had influence them was pretty lite and didn't have the same weight to it that Petra hit us with between the eyes. Now, Bob alone yields albums like J&H. He could have never made that record with Volz and Louie. Now, it would have been interesting to have had some growling, distorted B3 through a Marshall stack from John L added into the mix. He did a bit of this on the Classic Petra album with Bob. It sounded thick and dark.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

That's why I'll miss Bob's involment. However, I'll take whatever I get, it is sort of Petra anyway. And it's original music at least. I too think Jekyll and Hyde would have sounded nice with some keyboards/organs. And I missed the lead guitar parts. Sounded more bare than other Petra albums. Still good though.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 am

Jekyll & Hyde could have used a few solos, but I don't mind their absence so much because Bob's guitar work and grooves are astonishingly good throughout. It shows what Bob is really capable of when he's the only lead instrument on an album.
0 x