Best Petra Album of the 80's

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

Best Petra Albums of the 80's

Never Say Die
No votes
More Power to Ya
15%
Not of this World
8%
Beat the System
12%
Captured In Time and Space
12%
Back to the Street
4%
This Means War!
15%
On Fire!
35%
Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out
No votes

Total votes: 26

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Best Petra Album of the 80's

Post by George Harrison » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 pm

What does everyone think?
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Re: Best Petra Album of the 80's

Post by PiedPiper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:09 pm

I'd put the first 3 songs of On Fire! Up against the first 3 of any Petra album. This Means War! is a close second.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

"Best" can mean different things.

Here is my dilemma. I listened to Petra BEFORE they broke and at the time when Christian rock was blossoming. So, the best for me will mean game changing/we have not had this before/no album could ever make this big of an impact again. For me, it's More Power To Ya'. Because of the times and the infancy of Christian Rock, that album was HUGE. CIT&S on vinyl and cassette (had to have both because they were different) would be my close second, because it wrapped up the Volz era with a bow. Back To The Street was a turd. That should have been a Volz record.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:05 pm

brent wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Here is my dilemma. I listened to Petra BEFORE they broke and at the time when Christian rock was blossoming. So, the best for me will mean game changing/we have not had this before/no album could ever make this big of an impact again. For me, it's More Power To Ya'. Because of the times and the infancy of Christian Rock, that album was HUGE. CIT&S on vinyl and cassette (had to have both because they were different) would be my close second, because it wrapped up the Volz era with a bow. Back To The Street was a turd. That should have been a Volz record.
More Power to Ya was a very good album, though I prefer On Fire! Back to the Street always seems way too keyboard heavy, and most of the songs weren't that good. I could see that fitting Volz's style quite well, actually.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 am

If I only picked one from each era:
Number one for me would be CITAS.
Second would be Petra Praise.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 am

On Fire!
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:19 pm

I went with On Fire. TMW is on of Bob's best songs ever. I still get chills hearing the opening verse live. I also think MPTY is one of his best songs. I personally like the beefed up version on Back to the Rock better. But, I went with On Fire because I really liked heavy, melodic beefy tunes back then. All Fired Up was one of those crank it up and cruise down the strip type tunes for me. No surprise that it was included on the Ultimate Metal compilation. I can recall listening to the UM cd in college while working gym maintenance with another guy who was into really heavy stuff. Torniquet, Living Sacrifice, Eternal Decision, and the like. He commented about how heavy All Fired Up was in comparison to the other songs on the compilation. On Fire had a number of good, heavy songs.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 pm

PiedPiper wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:09 pm
I'd put the first 3 songs of On Fire! Up against the first 3 of any Petra album.
They were all very good hard rocking songs. On Fire! also had some nice guitar solos, like in Hit You Where You Live.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 am

I really loved On Fire! for me that album was a game changer for Petra; I feel the same about MPTY for the Volz era, but the guitar riffs and the new bass style brought Petra different harder audience in the fold. Also I've heard over the years that even though MPTY is/was a great album it really honestly didn't fit into its era of music; in a lot of aspects from the style, sound, and visual it was really a late 70's type album. MPTY was 5 years too late IMO.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:22 pm

More Power To Ya is one of my all-time favorite Petra albums. A great collection of songs, and that classic Johnathan David Brown sound. Now there's a man who knew how to mix an album.
0 x

Adonai74
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Adonai74 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:42 pm

"Beat The System"
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am

Beat the System is a quintessential 80's album, for good and bad. I happen to like it quite a lot.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

brent wrote:

"Back to The Street was a turd" Why the hate on BTTS? I see it all the time on this site....Are you really gonna tell me that Keneniah is better than Altar Ego? or that I am Available is better than Thankful Heart? or that All the Kings Horses is better than Shakin the House? Really people???? TMW is so "Canned 80's sounding"...I think the songs on BTTS are way better than TMW.....Dead Reckoning Vs. Whole World????? Don't let your heart be hardened Vs. Fool's Gold Or King's Ransom? Really???? it must be me.......I love BTTS.....I think TMW is the turd....I think I listen to that album once every 2-3 years...it never improves to me.....
0 x

Adonai74
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Adonai74 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:35 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am
Beat the System is a quintessential 80's album, for good and bad. I happen to like it quite a lot.
Mostly good though :)
0 x

Adonai74
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Adonai74 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am
brent wrote:

"Back to The Street was a turd" Why the hate on BTTS? I see it all the time on this site....Are you really gonna tell me that Keneniah is better than Altar Ego? or that I am Available is better than Thankful Heart? or that All the Kings Horses is better than Shakin the House? Really people???? TMW is so "Canned 80's sounding"...I think the songs on BTTS are way better than TMW.....Dead Reckoning Vs. Whole World????? Don't let your heart be hardened Vs. Fool's Gold Or King's Ransom? Really???? it must be me.......I love BTTS.....I think TMW is the turd....I think I listen to that album once every 2-3 years...it never improves to me.....
I love BTTS too. It`s classic Petra in my opinion.
0 x