Favorite Petra concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
onfirerocks
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Favorite Petra concert

Post by onfirerocks » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Of all the Petra concerts you have attended which one was your favorite and why? I have seen them four times, all after John Schlitt joined the band. Twice on the BTTS tour, once on the TMW tour and once on the BB tour. I think my favorite was the BB concert. It was at the Agape Festival in Illinois. They were the headliner, the weather was perfect and they sounded amazing.
1 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Favorite Petra concert

Post by pmal » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am

I got to see them with Josh McDowell on the BB/Who Do You Listen To tour in Greenville, SC. It was great. Still have the BB water bottle, and BB black and neon green shirt. Awesome show.
1 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:27 am

Saw them on MPTY, BTTS, BB, GF and Farewell.

BB for sure. They played the BB Film before the show and then went into it. I went by myself at the last minute, but got a great seat close to the front of the theatre.

BTTS was a great arena show with a really small crowd. The poor promoter lost everything, and I'm sure Petra ended up taking a hit. A local band I was a roadie for played as an opener, so I got to meet the band and attend the soundcheck.

The other shows were at mediocre venues that led to poor sound, although I enjoyed seeing the band.

GF was kind of a weird thing. It was a youth convention and somehow we were sold tickets to attend (I was 30 and not with a youth group). The kids were kind of wild and water bottles were being thrown all over the place. I was glad I took a seat in the bowl. Not a bad crowd and the band sounded good, but the new mellow sound disappointed me.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:59 am

Praise 2 tour - saw in Ashville, NC - great show
Greatest Hits Tour - Greenville, SC - great show as well

All in all, both shows were about the same. Unfortunately, neither one had Bob.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Unseen Power tour in Boston at the Orpheum, Wake up Call Tour at Creation, PP2 at Eastern Nazarene College, Greatest Hits Bangor, Farewell in Oakland, ME. Once in Old Orchard, not sure when. The first was the best, got to meet band for the first time, barely got a word out! Newsboys opened for UP tour, never heard of them b4. The farewell concert was great too, just different, small crowd.
1 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 pm

I only attended four concerts: Beat the System, an hour long show at the Virginia State Fair during their Beyond Belief tour, Unseen Power, and God Fixation.

Beat the System was my first rock concert ever, so I have very fond memories of it and would have to say that it's my all-time favorite. I also love the fact that this tour was memorialized in Captured in Time and Space, so I've been able to relive my experience over the years. My second favorite would be the Virginia State Fair show because there were only a couple hundred people in attendance, and my friends and I were about 10-feet from the stage, which was amazing.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Wake-Up Call in Lakeland, probably 9000+ people there!
Night of Joy in the early 90s was hard to beat. I was young and don't remember what year and album but saw them there at least twice between 89-94.
Classic Petra the first go-round was a kick because I do love that incarnation and thought I would never be able to see them like that!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm

My Petra Concerts:
No Dobt Tour Joplin Missouri
PP2 Tour Mayaquez Puerto Rico
Revival Tour: 3 times throughout Florida
Farewell Tour: 6 times throughout Florida.
Classic Petra: 5 times throughout Florida plus the Nashvill DVD taping.
CPR: Lakeland Florida and counting.

Favorites:

1.Farewell tour show in Tampa with Ronny and a show in Winter Haven in the backyard of a church with about 50 people in the crowd and the stage at the crowd level, getting hit by John's sweat as he sang 2 feet away from me.

2. Being able to talk to Bob for about 1 1/2 hours for three of the Classic Petra shows after the meet and greet.

3. The Classic Petra Returns show in Lakeland this past weekend. What a blast. Best sounds, voices, musicianship of any Petra show I have ever been. Talking to John Lawry after his illness and seeing him giving it all that night, getting a hug from Louie, talking to Kirk and Greg B- Very humble and talented men of God, seeing Greg perform in top form and meeting his wife and again and daughter for the first time.

In all very approachable people that love God. I fell very fortunate for been able to meet them and see them perform.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm
In all very approachable people that love God. I fell very fortunate for been able to meet them and see them perform.
I had the pleasure of meeting the God Fixation incarnation of Petra minus Kevin Brandow at the Dove Awards, and brief as it was, I had a great time chatting with John and Louie. Then around the time Jekyll & Hyde was released, I won a contest of sorts, and my prize was a call from John Schlitt who phoned me up late one night, and I had the opportunity to talk with him one-on-one for about 30-minutes, which was really special. My wife was in bed at the time, I was in a different part of the house, and she shouted, "Who the heck is calling so late?" I said, "It's John Schlitt!" Then, like it was the most normal thing in the world, she yelled back, "Tell him I like the new album!"
3 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm

[BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE]
Unseen Power tour in Boston at the Orpheum, Wake up Call Tour at Creation, PP2 at Eastern Nazarene College, Greatest Hits Bangor, Farewell in Oakland, ME. Once in Old Orchard, not sure when. The first was the best, got to meet band for the first time, barely got a word out! Newsboys opened for UP tour, never heard of them b4. The farewell concert was great too, just different, small crowd.
[END ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

I'm working the Petra tour history and wanted to see if perhaps you recall the date of the Eastern Nazarene College show and/or the date/venue for the 1999 Bangor concert. Even a rough date estimate would be helpful. The PP2 show was mentioned in the 1997 yearbook, but no date was given.

A long time ago, I realize, but one never knows …

Thanks!

https://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tourlistpetra.htm
1 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:01 pm

bertgangl wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm
[BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE]
[END ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

I'm working the Petra tour history and wanted to see if perhaps you recall the date of the Eastern Nazarene College show and/or the date/venue for the 1999 Bangor concert. Even a rough date estimate would be helpful. The PP2 show was mentioned in the 1997 yearbook, but no date was given.

Thanks!

Funny you mentioned the Newsboys. I saw Petra open for the Newsboys back in the late 90s or early 00 in Orlando at the Hard Rock Cafe! I think Petra surprised everyone. I think a lot of the young people there had never heard them before.
1 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 am

bertgangl wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm
[BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE]
[END ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

Thanks!

I believe that I have a concert poster from the ENC show. I'll try to get the date for you. The Bangor show was at the Bangor Auditorium, unless the date is in the other post regarding concert history, I probably couldn't tell you the date. Did you attend ENC?
1 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:28 am

The Bangor, ME concert was 5/7/99 at the Bangor Auditorium.
1 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:15 am

[BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE]
I believe that I have a concert poster from the ENC show. I'll try to get the date for you. Did you attend ENC?
[END ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

Thanks so much for the Bangor venue. We'll get that added.

I found the ENC show mentioned in the 1997 school yearbook, which I found via a Google search. I am not an ENC alum. I graduated from Auburn (undergrad) and the University of Kentucky (grad school). The latter of which was where I accepted Christ during the waning days of my first semester in Lexington.

Thanks, in advance, for scouring your poster archives for the ENC date. Much appreciated!

PS. I neglected to ask in my previous e mail: do you recall the opening act(s) for the Bangor concert? We show Broomtree, Temple Yard, Jesse's Vineyard and other artists -- in some combination -- opening the surrounding dates. Do any of those ring a bell? ...
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am

bertgangl wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:15 am
[BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE]
I believe that I have a concert poster from the ENC show. I'll try to get the date for you. Did you attend ENC?
[END ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

Thanks so much for the Bangor venue. We'll get that added.

I found the ENC show mentioned in the 1997 school yearbook, which I found via a Google search. I am not an ENC alum. I graduated from Auburn (undergrad) and the University of Kentucky (grad school). The latter of which was where I accepted Christ during the waning days of my first semester in Lexington.

Thanks, in advance, for scouring your poster archives for the ENC date. Much appreciated!

PS. I neglected to ask in my previous e mail: do you recall the opening act(s) for the Bangor concert? We show Broomtree, Temple Yard, Jesse's Vineyard and other artists -- in some combination -- opening the surrounding dates. Do any of those ring a bell? ...
No, sorry, I don't remember the opening acts for Bangor. The main thing that I remember from that concert was kids throwing water bottles on the stage in John's direction, which I found incredibly disrespectful.
0 x