Volz & Livgren

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Volz & Livgren

Post by stsmedia » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 pm

I was just perusing Kerry Livgren's website and saw this...

News About Kerry's Work...

2/3/19: Greg X. Volz has sung on Kerry's Cantata. One step closer to completion.

I'm sure someone here has more knowledge of this than I. Just curious about it. Sounds like a project Livgren has been working on for awhile..?
1 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Re: Volz & Livgren

Post by Progfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

I’m trying to remember the first time I read about the Kerry Livgren cantata. No exaggeration, it’s been over twenty years for sure. Maybe much longer, so yes he’s been working on it for quite a while. It’s supposed to be called “The Resurrection of Lazarus.” By the way, hello. I’m new posting here!
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Welcome Progfan! Thanks for the info. Yeah, I thought I saw a few notes there on Livgren’s site indicating that this was a project long in the works. I’ll be curious to hear what Volz contributed to it.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am

Wikipedia says:

"Livgren has resumed work on one of his most ambitious works to date, titled Cantata: The Resurrection of Lazarus. It is an epic, orchestral and vocal composition based on the Biblical story told in John, Chapter 11, and is still in production. It has been in development for more than 20 years and features a large ensemble cast. Numerous vocal talents are being considered for the roles."

I'd like to hear it, I'm a fan of some of his solo work, Proto-Kaw, and Vinyl Confessions/Drastic Measures era Kansas... Those albums had a spiritual message in them, because Kerry Lichtenstein had recently become a Christian, and John and Dino Elefante joined the band.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead

Post by stsmedia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 pm

I'd like to hear it, I'm a fan of some of his solo work, Proto-Kaw, and Vinyl Confessions/Drastic Measures era Kansas... Those albums had a spiritual message in them, because Kerry Lichtenstein had recently become a Christian, and John and Dino Elefante joined the band.
I really enjoyed his AD era, especially Timeline, Art of the State and Reconstructions. I've not listened to Proto-Kaw but should really give those albums a listen. I used to listen to Vinyl Confessions so much until I finally wore out my old cassette tape back in the day. Good stuff!
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes I listened to AD also.

Another interesting thing to note is that John and Dino Elefante along with guitarists Kerry Livgren and REO Speedwagon's Dave Amato joined forces with former White Heart bassist Anthony Sallee, and the session drummer Dan Needham to make "Revolution of Mind", by John Elefante/Masterson. That and John's latest album "On My Way to the Sun" were both excellent rock albums, each has some prog influences too... Mostly just the 10-11 minute opening songs in each album (which feature some former members of Kansas). Remind me of Kansas and Boston in a few areas. All good stuff.

*I my auto correct spelt Kerry Livgren's last name "Lichtenstein" :roll:
2 x
'You've got no place to run!'