Union of Sinners and Saints tour

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Re: Union of Sinners and Saints tour

Post by HudsonPethead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

A little bit of the show in Canada.
Simply amazing!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6575538784
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Wow!!

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Looks awesome. I envy you 8) Watching the video was cool enough; now I'm imagining being there! :lol: :lol: Btw, what was the very first and last two songs please? I haven't heard them before but I really liked them 8) :) And thanks so much for sharing!! :) :)
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Die Hard- if you are asking about the facebook link then the first song is Flood by Jars of Clay. It was a big hit in the mid 90's. Huge- it was played all over mainstream radio, used in movies, etc. The last song is Jesus Freak, which was a hit for DC Talk. Kevin Max was part of that group. Toby Mac a(another DC alum)and Newsboys (Michael Tait was in DC Talk, too) have been known to play it live, and it is pretty well known... so I am not sure if you were asking about that song?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 pm

rexreed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm
Die Hard- if you are asking about the facebook link then the first song is Flood by Jars of Clay. It was a big hit in the mid 90's. Huge- it was played all over mainstream radio, used in movies, etc. The last song is Jesus Freak, which was a hit for DC Talk. Kevin Max was part of that group. Toby Mac a(another DC alum)and Newsboys (Michael Tait was in DC Talk, too) have been known to play it live, and it is pretty well known... so I am not sure if you were asking about that song?
Oh ok thank you;) Jesus Freak is originally a Larry Norman song if I am not mistaken, I just haven't heard it a lot myself but I know it's popular. Thanks again :)
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Jesus Freak is a DC Talk song. Larry Norman did a cover of it after DCT had done a cover of Norman's " I Wish We'd All Been Ready." Before Jesus Freak DCT was more of a hip hop/boy band, and in my opinion they were downright lousy. It was embarrassing to pop in a cassette and hear a song like "Spinning Round" or " I Love Rap Music" compared to what mainstream radio was playing. I think DCT knew they were second rate and around the time of the Free At Last album the members embraced grunge. In fairness Free At Last was much better than previous albums and it could hold it's own with the music of the day.

What followed Free At Last was a total transformation from from hip hop, pop, boy band to grunge boy band. On the Jesus Freak album, the lyrics were better crafted and deeper. The guitars were loud and distorted. Most of all the music was really good. I can't think of another group that was allowed a second chance like DCT was afforded. After JF the band released Supernatural and it continued the improvement seen on JF. I don't recall thinking they were copycats of the mainstream at that time. They were innovators, and kept getting better! Then they sort of broke up. They all tried solo careers with Tobymac being the standout. Tait eventually went on to the Newsboys and Kevin Max has done a number of things, assuming the lead singer role in the reborn Audio Adrenaline a couple years ago.

The boys were fans of Larry Norman and many other artists. Off the top of my head I remember the following covers: Larry Norman's "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," Doobie Brothers "Jesus is Just Alright," Charlie Peacock's "In the Light," and Norman Greenbaum's " Spirit in the Sky." I bet I missed a couple...wait a second I remember they sang "Help" by the Beatles and also did a "Lean on Me Cover!" I'm sure I missed a fact here or there but this is off my memory. You would probably enjpy the later works of DCT. Jars of Clay still record and they (Haseltine?) are some of the best music out there in my opinion.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

I knew they had done quite a few covers, and I knew that they changed from hiphop to more rocky style music but I did not know that they covered Larry then Larry covered them back. I absolutely looove the song Red Letters and In the Light is very good too: ) Thx for the history btw, that kind of history is always fun to read 😉
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 am

HudsonPethead wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am
A little bit of the show in Canada.
Simply amazing!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6575538784
Hudson, I attended No Greater Love also. It was superb! They blew me away. I'm going to write up a review of the concert pretty soon 8)
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 am

rexreed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Jesus Freak is a DC Talk song. Larry Norman did a cover of it after DCT had done a cover of Norman's " I Wish We'd All Been Ready." Before Jesus Freak DCT was more of a hip hop/boy band, and in my opinion they were downright lousy. It was embarrassing to pop in a cassette and hear a song like "Spinning Round" or " I Love Rap Music" compared to what mainstream radio was playing. I think DCT knew they were second rate and around the time of the Free At Last album the members embraced grunge. In fairness Free At Last was much better than previous albums and it could hold it's own with the music of the day.

What followed Free At Last was a total transformation from from hip hop, pop, boy band to grunge boy band. On the Jesus Freak album, the lyrics were better crafted and deeper. The guitars were loud and distorted. Most of all the music was really good. I can't think of another group that was allowed a second chance like DCT was afforded. After JF the band released Supernatural and it continued the improvement seen on JF. I don't recall thinking they were copycats of the mainstream at that time. They were innovators, and kept getting better! Then they sort of broke up. They all tried solo careers with Tobymac being the standout. Tait eventually went on to the Newsboys and Kevin Max has done a number of things, assuming the lead singer role in the reborn Audio Adrenaline a couple years ago.

The boys were fans of Larry Norman and many other artists. Off the top of my head I remember the following covers: Larry Norman's "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," Doobie Brothers "Jesus is Just Alright," Charlie Peacock's "In the Light," and Norman Greenbaum's " Spirit in the Sky." I bet I missed a couple...wait a second I remember they sang "Help" by the Beatles and also did a "Lean on Me Cover!" I'm sure I missed a fact here or there but this is off my memory. You would probably enjpy the later works of DCT. Jars of Clay still record and they (Haseltine?) are some of the best music out there in my opinion.
I agree with everything you just said. DC Talk improved drastically over the years

I too love jars of clay, they are one of the best bands. The lyricism is so thoughtful, the music is interesting and Dan Haseltine sings well. It is so much more unique and interesting than most CCM, whether it's the beautiful modal harmony of Crazy Times or the orchestral bridge of Flood, I love it :)

I love Kevin's solo career too, but I'm afraid he was too different to be as successful as TobyMac.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 am

Jesus Freak

0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am

HudsonPethead wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 am
Jesus Freak

Yeah ok it was Jesus freak thx😉
0 x