1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
User avatar
BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 am
Pethead since: 1989
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
x 12

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by BriGuyPEI » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Praise Ye the Lord was an old "e" band song that Greg brought to Petra. Obviously they started playing it live before they recorded it. A few other NSD songs were also from "e" band, like The Coloring Song and Without Him We Can Do Nothing. Killing My Old Man was originally recorded by Petra for Come and Join Us, but was cut. So it's possible that all of those songs may have been played live in the late 70s.
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:52 pm
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 2010
x 117

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by George Harrison » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:07 pm
Praise Ye the Lord was an old "e" band song that Greg brought to Petra. Obviously they started playing it live before they recorded it. A few other NSD songs were also from "e" band, like The Coloring Song and Without Him We Can Do Nothing. Killing My Old Man was originally recorded by Petra for Come and Join Us, but was cut. So it's possible that all of those songs may have been played live in the late 70s.
Hmm, interesting, thanks for the history.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

User avatar
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm
#1 Album: Back to the street
Location: Echo, Minnesota
x 306
Contact:

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 pm

I've just been following along as people post-- this is interesting 😉
1 x
It's a perfect day for dreams come true
For thinking big
And doing anything you want to do
Let's get happy!
Doing The Unstuck- The Cure

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:44 am
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979
x 28

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by jmslick » Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Progfan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:53 pm
Doxology the tune, aka “Old 100th” was written in 1551. So no, not by John Slick. He would probably be credited for the arrangement as recorded on the album, however.
When I watched that video lately, I was surprised when Bob played Doxology. I don't remember him ever playing that other than the closing track on NOTW. The reason I added it in the bridge of "More Power To Ya" (which no one ever notices) was that it just laid nice over the changes.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:59 pm
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987
x 19

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by Rusty » Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 am

Thats brilliant arranging Mr. Slick! And thank you so much for "Not by Sight" and "Occupy". Occupy is one of my all-time favorites.
2 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:55 pm
x 33

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by fcollazo » Wed May 20, 2020 6:55 am

Agreed. I always thought that without adding John Slick the Petra sound and and image would have never been complete. That wall of sound with synth was his trademark on Petra IMHO, and let's not forget the B3. That frame of work continued through Petras run after that. I also think that Occupy is the best song on NOTW, complex and enjoyable. Thanks for all your creation in Petra Mr. Slick.
1 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:44 am
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979
x 28

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by jmslick » Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:55 am
Agreed. I always thought that without adding John Slick the Petra sound and and image would have never been complete. That wall of sound with synth was his trademark on Petra IMHO, and let's not forget the B3. That frame of work continued through Petras run after that. I also think that Occupy is the best song on NOTW, complex and enjoyable. Thanks for all your creation in Petra Mr. Slick.
Bob is the songwriting master.

I started to write that there was no "wall of sound with synth", but then I went and cranked up some old NSD and MPTY stuff, and yes... there was a background wall. Not too obtrusive, but supporting the more important stuff: lyrics, melodies, hooks.
3 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by brent » Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I wonder what Beat The System would have sounded like if JS would have had a hand or two on it.....
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:44 am
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979
x 28

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by jmslick » Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

brent wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
I wonder what Beat The System would have sounded like if JS would have had a hand or two on it.....
I've no idea, particularly since I've never heard the album. But I'm sure it was very well done. I thought that Carl Marsh did the synth programming. I've no idea of who played what on the album. I'm so confused. Let's do push ups!
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by brent » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm

jmslick wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm
brent wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
I wonder what Beat The System would have sounded like if JS would have had a hand or two on it.....
I've no idea, particularly since I've never heard the album. But I'm sure it was very well done. I thought that Carl Marsh did the synth programming. I've no idea of who played what on the album. I'm so confused. Let's do push ups!
Beat The System was what Van Halen's 1984 was to me. I bought it, took it home, put it on and sat with my mouth open, thinking, THIS SUCKS! THIS is NOT Petra/Van Halen! They are going to lose a $#&^TON of fans. But, what did I know? That took the next album for that to happen. Ha. I like it better now than I did. I appreciate the programming, engineering, and willingness to evolve. But, I sure can't put it up on the car speakers with the windows down and top back like I can most of the others. I will get "the look".
1 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:44 am
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979
x 28

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by jmslick » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm

brent wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm
I bought it, took it home, put it on and sat with my mouth open, thinking, THIS SUCKS!
I felt the same when I bought Donald Fagan's "Kamakiriad" around 1995. I hated it because it was such a sterile departure from the Dan's usual juicy organic stuff. But after a while, I could not stop playing it. Still do like it.
0 x

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 195

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by Mountain Man » Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 am

I love Beat The System, although I recognize it was far from being a team effort. I remember reading an interview where Mark Kelly said that neither he nor Louie played a single lick on the record. It was all Bob and Greg, so I guess you could call it the original "II Guys From Petra" album!

And, personally, I have no problem rolling the windows down and cranking it. Who cares if people look at me funny for jamming to quintessential 80s rock?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by brent » Sun May 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I would rather crank ELP.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981
x 54

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by Progfan » Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 pm

It is, after all...the show that never ends.
0 x

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 195

Re: 1979 Petra Live Audio Miscellaneous

Post by Mountain Man » Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm

ELP?
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests