Star Song Greatest hits releases

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Post Reply
Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:59 pm
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987
x 19

Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by Rusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:13 am

Does anyone know if the Star Song Greatest hits releases that were released in the 1990's Petraphonics, Petrafied, Power Praise etc.... Were these tracks remastered for those releases? They definitely sound "brighter" to me, and they "crank" a little better on the JDB tracks...just curious if anyone knows for certain
0 x

User avatar
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:01 am
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992
Location: The Netherlands
x 37
Contact:

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by p-freak » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Petrafied, Petraphonic, Power Praise and Rock Block have mastering credits.
Petrafied was mastered by Tom Baker at Future Disc, the other three by Hank Williams at Master Mix.
Most of the original Star Song albums were mastered by Steve Hall.

So, yes, remastered, but it doesn't state whether they were remastered from the original masters or from the previous CD masters. I believe the former, but I don't think we can be sure.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm
#1 Album: Back to the street
Location: Echo, Minnesota
x 306
Contact:

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 pm

p-freak wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm
Petrafied, Petraphonic, Power Praise and Rock Block have mastering credits.
Petrafied was mastered by Tom Baker at Future Disc, the other three by Hank Williams at Master Mix.
Most of the original Star Song albums were mastered by Steve Hall.

So, yes, remastered, but it doesn't state whether they were remastered from the original masters or from the previous CD masters. I believe the former, but I don't think we can be sure.
Steve Hall- that was my grandpa's name! I never met him though. He died when my mom was 4. Sorry for the random bit of information : )
2 x
It's a perfect day for dreams come true
For thinking big
And doing anything you want to do
Let's get happy!
Doing The Unstuck- The Cure

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4243
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 90

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by brent » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 pm

According to Richard Green, all of the production master assets are in the label vault. I don't know if he meant the analog or Sony 1630s that were so prevalent back then. The 1630 was the actual digital source pressing plants used. If the budgets were low, they could very well have used the CD or DAT copy of the CD master. That has been done. Records have been cut from those and they sound like crap.

All remastering means most of the time is more compression, more volume, and more EQ. Louder doesn't always sound better.
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:52 pm
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 2010
x 117

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by George Harrison » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 pm
p-freak wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm
Petrafied, Petraphonic, Power Praise and Rock Block have mastering credits.
Petrafied was mastered by Tom Baker at Future Disc, the other three by Hank Williams at Master Mix.
Most of the original Star Song albums were mastered by Steve Hall.

So, yes, remastered, but it doesn't state whether they were remastered from the original masters or from the previous CD masters. I believe the former, but I don't think we can be sure.
Steve Hall- that was my grandpa's name! I never met him though. He died when my mom was 4. Sorry for the random bit of information : )
well that's interesting that they have the same name
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1287
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 195

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:04 pm

brent wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 pm
All remastering means most of the time is more compression, more volume, and more EQ. Louder doesn't always sound better.
The Loudness Wars were one of the worst thing to ever happen to music.

One of the worst example I've personally heard was "I Love Rock n' Roll" by Joan Jett. The original recording has a prominent bass drum that kicks you in the gut all throughout the song. A later "remaster" compressed the crap out of it so that everything was loud to the point that the bass drum was barely audible and completely changed the song's character.
1 x

User avatar
sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:50 pm
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984
x 73

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by sickasadog » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:04 pm
brent wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 pm
All remastering means most of the time is more compression, more volume, and more EQ. Louder doesn't always sound better.
The Loudness Wars were one of the worst thing to ever happen to music.

One of the worst example I've personally heard was "I Love Rock n' Roll" by Joan Jett. The original recording has a prominent bass drum that kicks you in the gut all throughout the song. A later "remaster" compressed the crap out of it so that everything was loud to the point that the bass drum was barely audible and completely changed the song's character.
That's a great example. I have the I Love Rock n' Roll vinyl LP. Back in the 1980s, I used to crank this song at home because of that bass drum. However, when I hear it on the radio nowadays, it just sounds okay.

What's even worse is when albums are originally recorded this way. Rush's Vapor Trails is a case study of great music that has been ruined by the need for loudness. I love the songs, but find it exhausting to listen to even half the album in one go. They released a remixed version later that was an improvement, but there was only so much that could be done with the brickwalled original recordings.
0 x

User avatar
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991
Location: Houston
x 12

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by rexreed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:13 am
Does anyone know if the Star Song Greatest hits releases that were released in the 1990's Petraphonics, Petrafied, Power Praise etc.... Were these tracks remastered for those releases? They definitely sound "brighter" to me, and they "crank" a little better on the JDB tracks...just curious if anyone knows for certain
Let's not forget "War and Remembrance."
1 x

User avatar
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:01 am
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992
Location: The Netherlands
x 37
Contact:

Re: Star Song Greatest hits releases

Post by p-freak » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:53 am

rexreed wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:16 pm
Let's not forget "War and Remembrance."
Petra Means Rock mentions the original mastering credits per albums, so definitely not remastered.
War & Remembrance doesn't have any mastering specifics mentioned, so I think it's unlikely that the songs on there were remastered.
The Early Years also doesn't mave mastering credits listed.

They probably just used the CD tracks from the original albums for these three collections.
0 x
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests