The new Petra record of 1984

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Re: The new Petra record of 1984

Post by brenthandy » Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 am

executioner wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am
brent wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:06 pm
What we have to remember is that the guys were too old to appeal to the young CCM audience, the young audience was into different music, the soccer moms and dads at the time were not going to have much luck selling their band to their kids. Combine all of this with the fact radio would not let Petra evolve past The Coloring Song and a couple of other songs.

People in the industry tried to get the band to plan their exit and the band would not listen. They should have. They should not have drug the Petra name though the mud, changed it the way the other secular 80s bands did when they changed their sound and audience. They should have quit when grunge hit. Don't tell me they had to keep going for ministry. Ministry happened in much larger venues with relevant bands, in churches, mission fields, job sites, etc. They should have quit, given people time to miss them, and then come back the way secular bands did when the grunge crap was out of everyone's system. They would have had a bigger impact with J&H for sure.
For example look what Stryper did and now has done; This last decade of music from them has been really great and IMO better than their 80's hits. I can't wait for their new album later this year.
Right. Exactly. Everyone went and did their solo projects. They didn't do EDM, pop, adult contemporary, etc.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am

brenthandy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 am
executioner wrote:
brent wrote:
What we have to remember is that the guys were too old to appeal to the young CCM audience, the young audience was into different music, the soccer moms and dads at the time were not going to have much luck selling their band to their kids. Combine all of this with the fact radio would not let Petra evolve past The Coloring Song and a couple of other songs.

People in the industry tried to get the band to plan their exit and the band would not listen. They should have. They should not have drug the Petra name though the mud, changed it the way the other secular 80s bands did when they changed their sound and audience. They should have quit when grunge hit. Don't tell me they had to keep going for ministry. Ministry happened in much larger venues with relevant bands, in churches, mission fields, job sites, etc. They should have quit, given people time to miss them, and then come back the way secular bands did when the grunge crap was out of everyone's system. They would have had a bigger impact with J&H for sure.
For example look what Stryper did and now has done; This last decade of music from them has been really great and IMO better than their 80's hits. I can't wait for their new album later this year.
Right. Exactly. Everyone went and did their solo projects. They didn't do EDM, pop, adult contemporary, etc.
I agree with you both re: Stryper; it has turned out well for them (musically). However, there early 90s exit was not planned, and the bulk of Michael Sweet's solo material was pop and adult contemporary. Stryper's comeback album, while good, still fell into the trap of trying to sound modern. Eventually, they did manage to return to creating the type of music their fans wanted and even improved upon it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 am

sickasadog wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am
brenthandy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 am
executioner wrote:
brent wrote:

I agree with you both re: Stryper; it has turned out well for them (musically). However, there early 90s exit was not planned, and the bulk of Michael Sweet's solo material was pop and adult contemporary. Stryper's comeback album, while good, still fell into the trap of trying to sound modern. Eventually, they did manage to return to creating the type of music their fans wanted and even improved upon it.
Yeah those first albums in 2005 & 2009 were really mostly Michael Sweet solo material he just had laying around and I would call them "stepping Stone" albums. I think The last three albums have shown Stryper in full throttle form, and have been really good.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!