Remastered albums

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Remastered albums

Post by brent » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Yeah....remastered copies of copies. Wonderful 16/44.1. Whenever someone buys them, I would like to hear an original release vs. the remasters.
1 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Girder Music

*RADIANT BLUE VINYL w/Poster
*12 Page Booklet Jewel Case w/Trading Card
*2021 Girder Records
*Included Full Color 2 Sided Sleeve with Printed Lyrics, Band Photo
*Includes 12x18" Poster with Vinyl
*Includes Limited Edition Trading Card with the CD
*Originally Release in 1982
*Remastered by Rob Colwell (Bombworks Sound)

THE ALBUM THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING
More Power To Ya was Petra's 5th album and the album that changed everything. Previously sounding similar to Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles, with some laid back Southern Rock vibes, Petra had been working out the bugs to perfect a polished progressive-rock sound. Petra finally crafted a style that could easily lock horns with anything on the industry charts and stand toe to toe with bands like STYX, Boston and Journey. Their new progressive(ish) rock sound began receiving attention from the mainstream music industry. In case you wondered if this was a significant change, BILLBOARD dubbed More Power to Ya a "Top Album Pick" and praised the band's "surging music, tough lyrics and effective vocals."

Hot on the heels of the success of Never Say Die, Petra's return featured even more polished production, intentional and disciplined composition, and sweeping scale. More Power To Ya rivaled mainstream albums by groups like Journey, Boston, or Styx in style and sound, but brought an unabashed message of encouragement to Christian listeners. Christian radio had a field day with the title track, while rock fans thrilled to the stripped down riff (and creepy backwards message) of “Judas Kiss.” “Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows” dared to challenge complacency within the church, with “The Road To Zion” struck an epic, almost Zeppelin-esque tone both lyrically and musically. More Power To Ya checked all the boxes, rose to even higher sales levels, and saw Petra become one of the biggest touring spectacles in Christian music.

ABOUT THE REISSUE
Although this album was released as a 25th Anniversary Edition in 2012 (9 years ago), it lacked the punch, low-end, and definition that remastering now affords and at the hand of Rob Colwell it is truly a masterpiece and sound new, fresh and somehow sound relevent again today.

COMING ON CD & VINYL, THIS FRIDAY!!!

Petra - More Power To Ya
(GIRDER)
Petra - Beat The System
(GIRDER)
Petra - This Means War
(GIRDER)

2 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:19 pm

2 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by HudsonPethead » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:28 pm

2 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:01 pm

When someone gets their hands on these I'd appreciate an honest, non biased review. For me I would be more interested in a BB or Unseen Power remaster. Maybe I'm thinking remix.... either way I'd like to hear more guitar, less drum.
1 x

shaabyi
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shaabyi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:31 pm

Agreed. I have been dying to hear Beyond Belief and Unseen Power on record. Hopefully these 3 do well so they can do more.

Shaabyi
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Progfan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:19 pm

I’m working my way through these now. So far just doing a quick listen. Thumbs up to MPTY. It’s a definite improvement. Trying to get to the others tonight, and will follow up with a thorough evaluation after that.
2 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:34 am

Not of this world and Back to the Street next.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:33 pm

BTS is also a nice improvement in sound quality. Brought back my appreciation for the album after it had faded a little over the years. I will definitely be listening to this version much more now. TMW is a good improvement in sound quality, a little more low end definition than the previous CD. One little annoyance is that the old CD had a flaw during mastering in which the first fraction of a second of the beginning of “He Came...” was cut off. That flaw is still present in this new edition. Overall, though, it’s a great job. Let’s hope that they sell enough to generate interest for further remasters, and that Universal will be willing to license more for reissue. I would love to see an improved version of BTTS for sure.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:32 am

I'm skeptical any time I see the word "remastered", because it is often a euphemism for "overly compressed and obnoxiously loud". If an album still sounds too loud even after you've turned down the volume, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Other indicators of bad mastering are the bass guitar competing with the lead vocals, or the drums having no punch because every other instrument has been boosted to the same peak volume.

I've not heard these new Petra remasters, but I would be surprised if they didn't have some or all of these defects. I think I will always prefer the original CDs that don't sound like they were mastered by people with tin ears. If you think they're too quiet then that's what the volume knob is for!

Edit: Have read elsewhere that these aren't proper remasters from the original tapes (which I'm not sure even exist anymore) but are basically CD audio with the EQ jacked around to make them sound "modern" which is pretty much what I was expecting. No thank you.
1 x

V-Cool
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1982

Post by V-Cool » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:46 pm

I just ordered my set night before last. Then today, I see Girder has announced another set including, Washes Whiter Than, Never Say Die and Not of This World,

https://girdermusic.com/collections/pre ... this-world
1 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:21 pm

If the original tapes are lost, then remasters will have to come from best sources. Nothing anyone can do to change that. The eq on these does not seem “jacked around” however, and they have not been stripped of their dynamic range. Overall gain is increased, which is the usual practice on most remasters. It certainly is not an outrageous increase. So far, these have been a welcome addition to the collection. Best of all is the fact that they are available again after being out of print for quite a while.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:10 am

I would be pleasantly surprised if these actually sound good, but my general experience is that modern remastering often ends up sounding like trash. I think the best remasters I have ever heard are the 2015 high resolution 192K releases of Van Halen's early albums, which are not so much remasters but simply flat transfers of the original studio master, and they sound phenomenal. The 2009 remaster of U2's The Unforgettable Fire is also worthwhile. Compared to the original CD release, the remaster sounds like taking cotton out of your ears. A bit too much treble at times, but still better than the relatively muffled sound of the original. On the opposite end of the spectrum would be Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy with the famous song "Werewolves of London". On the original release, the instruments create a nice pocket that Zevon's vocals sit in. On the 2007 remaster, everything is boosted to the point that the bass guitar practically sounds like a lead instrument, and Zevon's vocals are competing to be heard. Simply dreadful.

I would like to do a side-by-side comparison of these new Petra releases, but I honestly don't have high expectations.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:41 am

Yes, all of those U2 remasters were very nice and long overdue. Definitely an example of a job well done.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:36 pm

U2's The Unforgettable Fire was a night-and-day difference. The other albums like War, The Joshua Tree, and particularly Achtung Baby saw only slight improvements at best. The Edge said that some of the albums they only allowed minimal EQ tweaking during remastering because they considered them artistically perfect as they were and didn't want to mess them up. I guess that's the difference between the band making the decisions, and some studio engineer working for a label who demands everything be loud as possible so that it stands out from other songs in a rotation (although a lot of streaming services have put limiters in place so that albums that push the needle are actually dialed back and will sound quieter than songs with proper dynamic range).
0 x