Remastered albums

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexcat
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Remastered albums

Post by rexcat » Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi guys,

Do you think we will see anymore remastered albums anytime soon?
Just curious.
Thanks
2 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Re: Remastered albums

Post by Progfan » Sun May 16, 2021 9:58 pm

That would be great, but I’ve just about given up on the possibility. Would be great if they could at least get the Girder Records Legends of Rock treatment. The existing CDs really need some help. And you’re probably about to get some comments insisting that they sound just fine. In the meantime, I just remaster them myself in order to listen to the wav files in the car.
1 x

canelaschlitt
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra praise 2
Pethead since: 1998

Post by canelaschlitt » Mon May 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Progfan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:58 pm
That would be great, but I’ve just about given up on the possibility. Would be great if they could at least get the Girder Records Legends of Rock treatment. The existing CDs really need some help. And you’re probably about to get some comments insisting that they sound just fine. In the meantime, I just remaster them myself in order to listen to the wav files in the car.
Hi Progfan !! What do you mean with "I just remaster them myself in order to listen to the wav files in the car"?
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Sorry, this was a duplicate post. Can’t seem to delete it.
Last edited by Progfan on Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

canelaschlitt wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:09 pm
Progfan wrote:
Hi Progfan !! What do you mean with "I just remaster them myself in order to listen to the wav files in the car"?
Hi,
I keep flash drives loaded with music plugged into the USB ports in the car. These days I’m ripping a selection of CDs as wav files for better quality. Every now and then an older CD needs some help, like at the very least a volume boost. Some discs that originated from less than amazing sources might need a bit of eq. So, just some mild “remastering” on my part.
2 x

rexcat
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by rexcat » Tue May 18, 2021 6:08 pm

I would think the demand would probably be there. I would love to see Girder Records do something!!! I wonder how much trouble it would be from the record label?
1 x

canelaschlitt
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra praise 2
Pethead since: 1998

Post by canelaschlitt » Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 pm

Progfan wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm
canelaschlitt wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:09 pm
Progfan wrote:
Hi,
I keep flash drives loaded with music plugged into the USB ports in the car. These days I’m ripping a selection of CDs as wav files for better quality. Every now and then an older CD needs some help, like at the very least a volume boost. Some discs that originated from less than amazing sources might need a bit of eq. So, just some mild “remastering” on my part.
Understood!!! :)
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 pm

rexcat wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 pm
Hi guys,

Do you think we will see anymore remastered albums anytime soon?
Just curious.
Thanks
I would to see more Petra anything. I dont think well get any remastered albums though
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed May 19, 2021 10:12 pm

Wouldn't the multi-track analogue recording have to still exist to remaster?
1 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Thu May 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Dan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:12 pm
Wouldn't the multi-track analogue recording have to still exist to remaster?
No, multitracks would only be needed if a remix was done. Which would be another, awesome idea. Much less likely to happen than remasters. For a remaster, you really only need the final mixed two track stereo master. Now, there have been times when commercial remasters have been done using existing CD versions where there is no chance of locating the master tapes. This is not preferred, and has to really be done correctly to yield a superior digital version. Also, “remasters” are sometimes done from needle drops of previously unopened vinyl, with mixed results. This is usually only done when the album has never been released digitally, with no hope of finding the original masters.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 25, 2021 4:47 pm

There are no Petra masters to remaster. None of the multi-tracks were known to exist at that time. Some have turned up ruined in mini-storage units, etc. Michael Green told me they did have all of the production masters to press, and they can press anything they want, as long as there is money in it to pay Bob. This happens because in the old days, studios and producers held assets for payment. Sometimes the artists walked with them, but that isn't common. When the studios went out of business, labels changed ownership, etc, assets got lost.

When remasters are made, they are starting with a copy of a copy of a copy, that already has been manipulated to suit a media. The 1630 digital masters used by the CD pressing plant are 16/44.1. So, the remasters come from a CD more or less. I haven't heard a Petra remaster that was worth paying for. It would be great if the multi-tracks did exist. At one time, I was wanting to license the masters to have GXV track over BTTS. It would have been fantastic. But, no dice. That's how I got into this conversation with them and then Servant about their masters and the lack thereof.

You know, Petra has to be THE most mismanaged bands of all time. There are so many lost assets, opportunities, etc. They never ever had a kick #$$ website. Heck, some fans had better and more information than Petra's own "management" put out. John told me once that we (PDC) did more for him lining up radio and print interviews at GMA Week than Petra ever got from their labels. That freaking sucks since their labels OWNED THE WHOLE THING AND IT IS A BIG FIXED SHAM OF A GAME!!! It just infuriates me. So many things could have been done. Someone is going to be mopping floors in heaven for mishandling this. I will find out where they are and I am going to take a big dump in their mop bucket every chance I get.
2 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 am

Makes sense Brent. I guess for the early 80's JDB stuff which in my opinion was some of the cleanest recorded audio I have ever heard would be as good as it gets without a remaster.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Progfan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:38 am

Well, we were just slightly early with this conversation. It’s happening! Remastered More Power to Ya, Beat the System, and This Means War are all coming in August! Thank you Girder Records!
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Progfan wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:38 am
Well, we were just slightly early with this conversation. It’s happening! Remastered More Power to Ya, Beat the System, and This Means War are all coming in August! Thank you Girder Records!
Really? That's great! How did you find out?
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:22 pm

This was announced on Girder Music social media and on the Retroactive Records / Boonesoverstock email newsletter.

In August remastered CDs with trading cards (a Girder gimmick) and in January 2022 coloured vinyl with bonus poster for MPTY, BTS and TMW.

Kudos to Greg from Girder Music for having been able to arrange a license with Universal/Capitol for this.

Preorders available this Friday.
2 x