The Jesus Music movie trailer

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by John Boy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrrgSoForE

I was hoping someone else would have touched on this by now. How much credit will the earliest pioneers of CCM get? Without Petra, there would be no Newsboys, Skillet, Stryper, etc. I feel like they'll get "the shaft" just like with the CCM anniversary special a few years ago. Petra had to cut the second verse and chorus out of "I Am on the Rock" while others got to perform full-length songs (to the best of my knowledge) and even perform more than once.
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Dan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Only artists with a soft message, or have crossed over to secular are in it. Skip.
0 x

Greg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1972

Post by Greg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 am

My thoughts exactly.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
2 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:31 pm

John Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrrgSoForE

I was hoping someone else would have touched on this by now. How much credit will the earliest pioneers of CCM get? Without Petra, there would be no Newsboys, Skillet, Stryper, etc. I feel like they'll get "the shaft" just like with the CCM anniversary special a few years ago. Petra had to cut the second verse and chorus out of "I Am on the Rock" while others got to perform full-length songs (to the best of my knowledge) and even perform more than once.
Nah. Read Mike Sweet's book. They didn't get or like CCM. That wasn't for them.

I wasn't there, but what was on the DVD was kind of rough. What they did was enough. I watched it "live", but I can't recall if it was truly live or if they were just streaming the pre-edited content. So, I can't recall if the song was botched and edited down.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am

rexreed wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm

There is no way that there can be a Jesus music movie without Larry Norman, Petra (Volz era), Randy Stonehill and a bunch of other hippies that came out of the that late 60's class. These were the people that broke the doors down... not DC Talk, Michael W Smith...
2 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am
rexreed wrote:
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
Yeah, he tuned down a half step and then went drop D other times. He tuned to himself. Everyone had to tune to him. Many times he would just pick up the guitar, tune it and then go. He had it down. He was in tune just about everywhere that way. There are some interviews about this.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:
Yeah, he tuned down a half step and then went drop D other times. He tuned to himself. Everyone had to tune to him. Many times he would just pick up the guitar, tune it and then go. He had it down. He was in tune just about everywhere that way. There are some interviews about this.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:16 am

Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm
There is no way that there can be a Jesus music movie without Larry Norman, Petra (Volz era), Randy Stonehill and a bunch of other hippies that came out of the that late 60's class. These were the people that broke the doors down... not DC Talk, Michael W Smith...
Exactly 😆
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:24 pm

Well, I was finally able to sit down and watch this now that it’s free on Hulu. Overall I was surprised that I was not more disappointed. It’s not a terrible documentary. And it doesn’t completely ignore some of the early founders. I was glad to see the focus on Lovesong and Rez band. Mylon LeFevre and Eddie DeGarmo also had speaking parts. Of course they all but ignored Petra and I feel that they could’ve included the Imperials as well. Their impact and contribution to contemporary music cannot be overstated. CITS was featured but John was completely ignored. It was very much a focus on Grant, Smith, and DC talk. I’m not sure who financed the endeavor. I know that the GMA had a part in it. They did not do a bad job separating the various movements by decades. They placed a large emphasis on Smith beginning the worship move with his original album at the turn of the millennium. Of course ignoring Petras contribution in the 80s and 90s.
3 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:13 pm

It's a KLOV production. Don't expect much grit. In true Christian entertainment fashion , very little attention given to the true pioneers. Instead DC Talk is elevated in importance and Petra is minimized. Phil Keaggy and others barely mentioned. cCM music fans don't care for music that has aged, or has key changed, etc.
1 x