What are you listening to now?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
kochers811
Pethead
Pethead

What are you listening to now?

Post by kochers811 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 am

Any bands other than Petra you all are really into now? I am addicted to Seven Day Slumber
0 x

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Post by petrabandca » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:59 am

When PETRA retired I started getting into PILLAR and was always into P.O.D., but reading through the latest issue of CCM I came across a band called THE SHOWDOWN www.theshowdownmetal.com and sampled their new album "Temptation Come My Way" and loved it. The band is great and they have incredible guitars and drums which is a sound I've been looking for, for a long time now. The singer has a sound that reminds me of Rob Zombie back in his WHITE ZOMBIE days and some James Hetfield from METALLICA which the band also showcases the BLACK album.

Watching some of thier live performaces on YouTube kind of reminds me of MOTLEY a little.

My only complaint is that the vocals are too raw and need to be brought back a little with the rest of the band. Their first album "A Chorus of Obliteration" is not for me these days, but in high school I would have been all over it.

Some other bands include RED, DAY OF FIRE AND SKILLET seem to be getting my attention.

Look for The Showdown on YouTube and there a lot of great samples of how these guys are live.
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Post by adrinux » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:42 pm

I'm very into CHARLIE HALL band - Mainly Flying Into The Daybreak, which is the worship album that I like the most.

JARS OF CLAY - I like very much their mixed styles.

And DELIRIOUS? I love their testimony and, of course, their music.
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

e

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Everyone needs to hear and listen to Fireflight. This bands rocks and have straight up lyrics. I feel they were not only new artists of the year(2006) but maybe even group of the year; they have had strong sales and also their single "It's You" is getting strong airplay on secular stations in my area.

fireflightrock.com
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:08 am

Seventh Day Slumber, Jonah 33, Disciple, Mercy Me, Petra Farewell (my extended version with Judas Kiss and Lord I Lift Your Name On High added in), David Crowder Band, TobyMac.
0 x

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:13 pm

Skillet, Newsboys, and Kutless!
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:07 pm

Still listening to Petra, especially This Means War.

Also Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and Switchfoot.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:06 pm

petrabandca wrote:I came across a band called THE SHOWDOWN www.theshowdownmetal.com and sampled their new album "Temptation Come My Way" and loved it. The band is great and they have incredible guitars and drums which is a sound I've been looking for, for a long time now. The singer has a sound that reminds me of Rob Zombie back in his WHITE ZOMBIE days and some James Hetfield from METALLICA which the band also showcases the BLACK album.
A lot of my Christian friends keep raving about The Showdown. I finally went to their Myspace page and listened to some of their songs. The vocalist definitely has his James Hetfield imitation down pat.

Having said that, their version of "Carry On Wayward Son" is the most ham-fisted cover since Metallica ruined Bob Seger's "Turn The Page". One of the things that made the original by Kansas so great was the harmonies, and this version has none...nada...zip...zero. It's like their record label said, "Hey guys...cover this song, and you'll get plenty of radio airplay!".

Oh well. Life is funny...one man's trash is another man's treasure.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 am

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:Having said that, their version of "Carry On Wayward Son" is the most ham-fisted cover since Metallica ruined Bob Seger's "Turn The Page". One of the things that made the original by Kansas so great was the harmonies, and this version has none...nada...zip...zero. It's like their record label said, "Hey guys...cover this song, and you'll get plenty of radio airplay!".
I think it's hysterical. The first time I heard it I couldn't stop laughing. :)

You ought to hear them do "So Help Me God" on the Jesus Freak tribute album. That one makes me laugh too!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Their version of "Carry On.." doesn't come CLOSE to Kansas...In fairness, covers are seldom as good as the original, and the ones that are good usually stay pretty close to the original. It might have helped if it had been sung in the original key with the harmonies. He has a pretty good voice, but that song was meant to be sung in the style Kansas did it, in the higher key with the harmonies-Steve Walsh/John Elefante style.

Yngwie Malmsteen did a cover of "Carry On" that was good, and he is a little more faithful to the original.
0 x

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:55 pm

Petra retired in 2005 and I continue to listen to them regularly. But with them not in the picture anymore, I have gone to a couple of other bands and adopted them as new favorites. The one band that has really caught my listening ear is Skillet. Their new record, Comotose, is a hard hitting cd filled with messages for youth and beyond in 2007. They have comea long way over the years. If you ever have a chance to see them live, do so.
The other bands I really like are Kutless and Thousand Foot Krutch, or TFK. Both these bands are destined to have very bright futures in the Christian rock scene.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am

Gotta say I am with MattRJ on this, I don't bother with much CCM besides Petra. Most of it is like an accountant, DULL DULL DULL. Of course I suppose most music is, period-maybe I have higher expectations from CCM.

I have been listening to web radio station of all the Bollywood hits lately, and some alt-rock stuff that got stuck in my head and whatever else finds its way to me.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

petrabandca wrote:When PETRA retired I started getting into PILLAR and was always into P.O.D., but reading through the latest issue of CCM I came across a band called THE SHOWDOWN www.theshowdownmetal.com and sampled their new album "Temptation Come My Way" and loved it. The band is great and they have incredible guitars and drums which is a sound I've been looking for, for a long time now. The singer has a sound that reminds me of Rob Zombie back in his WHITE ZOMBIE days and some James Hetfield from METALLICA which the band also showcases the BLACK album.

Watching some of thier live performaces on YouTube kind of reminds me of MOTLEY a little.

My only complaint is that the vocals are too raw and need to be brought back a little with the rest of the band. Their first album "A Chorus of Obliteration" is not for me these days, but in high school I would have been all over it.

Some other bands include RED, DAY OF FIRE AND SKILLET seem to be getting my attention.

Look for The Showdown on YouTube and there a lot of great samples of how these guys are live.
The Showdown actually got their start right here in Northeast TN. A little town called Elizabethton.

They really worked hard to get where they are. Once they got signed their sound did change quite a bit.

A lot of the kids around here that don't know them are pretty critical of the change, calling "soft and selling out". But i think they just got better and more talented.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Getting Older

Post by lucianotaz » Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 am

Guys,

Petra, Whiteheart, Guardian, Idle Cure, Whitecross and Giant retired.

Michael W Smith, Amy Grant and Bride forgot how to make great albuns.

John Elefante is a missing person !

Wes King is recovering of cancer.

Journey has a new singer. I liked a lot of Steve Augeri�s voice.

Toto and Europe are alive !!!

I do not like the music of new artisits.

Conclusion: I am 32 y/o but I getting older too fast ....

There�s a Wes King Tribute that is good album - Life is Precious. It�s what I listening to now. There�s a new Kim Hill album too. It seems nice, but I didn�t buy it yet.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Wed May 16, 2007 11:36 am

My taste in music is somewhat varied (not necessarily good taste, mind you), but I've been listening a lot lately to Iona's Open Sky, Qntal's Silver Swan (despite the obviously pagan imagery on the album cover, the content is usually extremely good; Tristan und Isolde is also fantastic), Plumb's Chaotic Resolve, and the old standards (albums by Guardian, Whiteheart, Whitecross, and co). I should dig out my Choir CD. I also had the Lost Dogs in for awhile.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU