Parasocial Relationship with Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Parasocial Relationship with Petra?

Post by zman7720000 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:49 pm

https://apple.news/AWOuU957wTCiNiJKm9gmiCg

Good article and definition of a parasocial relationship. So my question is how many fans out there feel they or better yet other fans of the band are having parasocial relationships with bandmembers? I used the band name in the title purposely to help articulate this. Since there is no actual single entity (person) known as Petra, yet some think of it as a living breathing entity.
2 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Parasocial Relationship with Petra?

Post by sickasadog » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 pm

First time that I've heard of such a relationship. Having read the article, I can confidently say that I haven't had such a relationship, but I have seen behaviours from a few people online that suggest that they have a parasocial relationship.

I haven't seen this from Petra fans, but I have seen some Rush fans who are that way.
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 am

I don't have this myself but I've seen some very strong cases online, particularly among fans of tv shows. It is so extreme that I've heard people talking about Jackie Chan of all people as if he was a baby, or a pet. "cute Jackie baby" and other such embarrassingly inappropriate and stupidly demeaning terms

That was enough internet for the day.
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:02 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:49 pm
https://apple.news/AWOuU957wTCiNiJKm9gmiCg

Good article and definition of a parasocial relationship. So my question is how many fans out there feel they or better yet other fans of the band are having parasocial relationships with bandmembers? I used the band name in the title purposely to help articulate this. Since there is no actual single entity (person) known as Petra, yet some think of it as a living breathing entity.
:shock: is this a bad thing…? Well, I mean I don't think it is assuming we're only talking about just plain friendships here… I guess I didn't know it was a term, but I usually keep such "friendships" to myself because it feels extremely personal like the epitome of having ones 'own little world'. I don't feel this way about Petra but I understand the term I think.
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:02 pm
:shock: is this a bad thing…? Well, I mean I don't think it is assuming we're only talking about just plain friendships here… I guess I didn't know it was a term, but I usually keep such "friendships" to myself because it feels extremely personal like the epitome of having ones 'own little world'. I don't feel this way about Petra but I understand the term I think.
I think it is usually harmless, but can become a problem when a fan feels like the celebrity somehow owes them something. Neil Peart (drum legend) wrote about being on a motorcycle trip and staying at a motel under a fake name. A fan also staying in the hotel recognized him and left him a gift (I think it was a 6-pack of beer) outside his door. The next day, this fan approaches him and expects Neil to spend some time with him just because he left him a gift.

Many people don't realize how dangerous being a celebrity can be, and they shouldn't be surprised that they will be very wary.

I think you will be fine, though, unless you're considering staking out their houses. I believe someone was asking about Petra members' home addresses (or something similar) in this forum some time ago...
2 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:44 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 pm
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:02 pm
I think it is usually harmless, but can become a problem when a fan feels like the celebrity somehow owes them something. Neil Peart (drum legend) wrote about being on a motorcycle trip and staying at a motel under a fake name. A fan also staying in the hotel recognized him and left him a gift (I think it was a 6-pack of beer) outside his door. The next day, this fan approaches him and expects Neil to spend some time with him just because he left him a gift.

Many people don't realize how dangerous being a celebrity can be, and they shouldn't be surprised that they will be very wary.

I think you will be fine, though, unless you're considering staking out their houses. I believe someone was asking about Petra members' home addresses (or something similar) in this forum some time ago...
Oh I see… if I would ever ask for an address it would solely be for the purpose of sending a letter. But I'm not a creep so I wouldn't ever expect a celebrity to do anything for me since hardly anybody even knows I exist anyway
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)