Captured In Time & Space DVD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexcat
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Captured In Time & Space DVD

Post by rexcat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Does anybody have this on DVD? It seems to be very rare. Can anyone give me the history on this & if they have a copy of it on DVD?
Thanks,

Rex
2 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Re: Captured In Time & Space DVD

Post by zman7720000 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Bob paid for it to be professionally ripped from the VHS. Therefore the quality is not any better than the best tape. Although it will not further degrade. It does not have the concept music video from Beat the System included on it. I thought about getting it but drug my feet. I have the original VHS.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:03 pm

I bought the DVD as soon as it was available, and, yes, it's very obviously taken from a VHS recording as evidenced by some instances of video dropout and one or two creases. I imagine it's the best they had at the time as there can't have been many good quality copies of the VHS tape still around, and I'm perfectly happy with it. As far as concert videos go, it blows away the mess that was made of Farewell. I ripped the audio to FLAC some time ago and made a soundtrack album because there are some notable differences between the VHS and the CD version, such as an extended jam during the praise medley, a longer version of Greg's altar call, and the song "The Great I Am".

Captured in Time and Space is probably the most fascinating of the Petra releases because there are at least four different cuts of the concert released to the public. The best and most complete seems to be the audio cassette which included extended/complete versions of all the songs (minus the extended jam in the praise medley), more chatter from Greg between songs, the full Jon Lawry and Louie Weaver solos, and the song "The Great I Am".

The VHS version cuts a lot of Greg's chatter, trims a lot of the songs to shorten intros/outros, cuts portions of Jon and Louie's solos, but includes a longer version of the praise medley, a longer version of Greg's altar call, and the song "The Great I Am".

The CD version includes more of Greg's chatter than the VHS version (but not as much as the cassette), and includes many of the same trims to the intros/outros of songs and the edits to Jon and Louie's solos as the VHS, eliminates the extended praise medley jam, and cuts "The Great I Am".

Finally, there's the vinyl cut of the album which I am almost wholly unfamiliar with, but my understanding is that it falls somewhere between the cassette and CD versions.

I would love someday to see a double CD release of this album that includes the cassette edit of the concert plus extended praise medley jam, but I doubt it will ever happen.
0 x

rexcat
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by rexcat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you so much for all of this information. I really appreciate it!!!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 am

Louie told me he has masters from the previous night's shows, which he thought were better, but they have board mixes from FOH. They used the previous shows as tech rehearsals.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 am

brent wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 am
Louie told me he has masters from the previous night's shows, which he thought were better, but they have board mixes from FOH. They used the previous shows as tech rehearsals.
If I remember correctly, those are the 3/4" video tapes, right? Louie better see about making a digital archive of that stuff soon, because the equipment to play it on is practically non-existent today. There's also the problem of tape deterioration if they haven't been properly stored.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm

Even if it has been stored properly, it's good for one more pass getting the oxide shredded by those spinning heads at 3.75 IPS.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 pm

At one point I made a custom extended cut using the CD, cassette and video versions. CD is by far the most hacked up but best sound quality.

The non-CD tracks are as follows:
01 Intro (cassette)
09 Speak to the Sky (cassette)
10 John intros Hollow Eyes (cassette)
18 John's Solo (cassette)
20 The Race (cassette)
22 Louie's Solo (cassette)
23 God Gave Rock & Roll to You (cassette)
24 Let Everything That Hath Breath (video)
25 Without Him We Can Do Nothing (video)
26 Praise Ye the Lord (video)
27 Hallelujah Chorus (cassette)
28 Visions (cassette)
29 Godpleaser (cassette)
30 Greg's message (cassette/video)
31 The Great I AM (cassette)
32 Greg intros It Is Finished (cassette)
3 x

canelaschlitt
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra praise 2
Pethead since: 1998

Post by canelaschlitt » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 pm
At one point I made a custom extended cut using the CD, cassette and video versions. CD is by far the most hacked up but best sound quality.

The non-CD tracks are as follows:
01 Intro (cassette)
09 Speak to the Sky (cassette)
10 John intros Hollow Eyes (cassette)
18 John's Solo (cassette)
20 The Race (cassette)
22 Louie's Solo (cassette)
23 God Gave Rock & Roll to You (cassette)
24 Let Everything That Hath Breath (video)
25 Without Him We Can Do Nothing (video)
26 Praise Ye the Lord (video)
27 Hallelujah Chorus (cassette)
28 Visions (cassette)
29 Godpleaser (cassette)
30 Greg's message (cassette/video)
31 The Great I AM (cassette)
32 Greg intros It Is Finished (cassette)
Amazing!! Please share what you've done!!
1 x