why is no one discussing the '82 shows?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

why is no one discussing the '82 shows?

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:35 am

Mark Hollingsworth has posted 5 concerts on Youtube from 1982, the MPTY tour. They are complete audio recordings.
Also, in a recent interview, John Schlitt said they have recorded 7 new songs. That Bob has been writing again, and they have more than enough new material for a new album.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Re: why is no one discussing the '82 shows?

Post by Petrapraise » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:23 pm

I saw the Youtube videos and heard and knew Bob was writing new music, I just hadn't heard the 7 number. Which podcast?
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:48 pm

You know how to get people discussing a topic on a message board? You start a thread about it. :lol:

Maybe post some links to the videos, too.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:24 am

A lot of this is been leaked by Stephen Yake over on his FB page. There’s also some information in a podcast in the new material stream of this messaging board. From what I can gather a new project to help celebrate the 50th anniversary is in the works. As usual, there’s plenty of talk without a lot of evidence so far. But I did hear that the finances are in place.

Hopefully if something does happen, they will incorporate some of the past members in a larger way. I’m just having a lot of difficulty getting into this rendition. If it is a 50th year anniversary, I’d love to see Volz , Weaver, Kelly, Cates, etc..
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Petrapraise » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:21 pm

I helped them unpack and pack back up for the Huntsville, AL concert and talked a bit about it. I knew about writing new music but had not heard anything about a "Number" of how many songs have been written so far. I won't talk again until I help them in Nashville.
I was just curious for the source on the 7 #.

I'm pretty sure it would be this iteration of the band, if I had to guess, since they already did a farewell album with Greg X Volz. Only time will tell, I just hope it not a long time.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:35 am

It was the Josh Huisman Podcast, ep. 15. Petra has the link on their fb page. I think it was late August or early September. The discussion about new material is towards the end of the podcast. Also, Stephen Yake just dropped more info on the new project on his fb, concerning video and music for Warner Bros. I am an old pastor and too technologically challenged to insert links here...sorry. It could be that Petra all this time is doing the whole "MCU" type thing... "I am definitely not in the new Spiderman movie" Movie comes out, actor is definitely in the new Spiderman movie....
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:27 am

zman7720000 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:24 am
A lot of this is been leaked by Stephen Yake over on his FB page. There’s also some information in a podcast in the new material stream of this messaging board. From what I can gather a new project to help celebrate the 50th anniversary is in the works. As usual, there’s plenty of talk without a lot of evidence so far. But I did hear that the finances are in place.

Hopefully if something does happen, they will incorporate some of the past members in a larger way. I’m just having a lot of difficulty getting into this rendition. If it is a 50th year anniversary, I’d love to see Volz , Weaver, Kelly, Cates, etc..
My dream Petra project would be a collection of new songs featuring each of the main lineups over the years and done in their respective styles. Of course I know it will never happen since it would be prohibitively expensive.

That said, I would be fine with new material with the current touring lineup. Greg Bailey and Christian Bonero have been official members of the band for years but have never been featured on a studio album, and I think they've earned it.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:02 am

The MPTY concerts are phenomenal. Mark put extensive notes for each show in his description. Stunned again at how great a bassist and singer Mark Kelly was, and Louie's playing was fantastic! Some of the shows are an hour and a half, some over two hours. Because of different sized venues, some of the audio quality is not consistent, but still very enjoyable!
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:27 am
My dream Petra project would be a collection of new songs featuring each of the main lineups over the years and done in their respective styles. Of course I know it will never happen since it would be prohibitively expensive.
Who knows? With AI now producing a new Beatles' song, perhaps it won't be long before anyone with a computer is able to create a new song from their favorite band from yesteryear.

With this kind of technology on the horizon, perhaps Petra fans will soon be able to hear GXV singing on Back to the Street.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:18 pm

dihigo wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 am
Mountain Man wrote:
Who knows? With AI now producing a new Beatles' song, perhaps it won't be long before anyone with a computer is able to create a new song from their favorite band from yesteryear.

With this kind of technology on the horizon, perhaps Petra fans will soon be able to hear GXV singing on Back to the Street.
An AI Greg Volz on "Back to the Street" would be a fun novelty, but I really don't want new music from an AI version of my favorite band.

I hadn't heard we were getting AI Beatles music. I knew Paul McCartney was up to something, but I didn't know what.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BriGuyPEI » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:10 pm

It’s not AI Beatles. They just used AI to identify and pull John Lennon’s voice from an old cassette demo and then built a song around it.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:42 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:10 pm
It’s not AI Beatles. They just used AI to identify and pull John Lennon’s voice from an old cassette demo and then built a song around it.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. It's similar to what they did for the Rubber Soul remix, where they used AI to "demix" original studio tapes that had multiple tracks combined to get clean audio of each instrument, and then remixed the album from the ground up. The results are amazing.
1 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:58 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:18 pm
dihigo wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

An AI Greg Volz on "Back to the Street" would be a fun novelty, but I really don't want new music from an AI version of my favorite band.

I hadn't heard we were getting AI Beatles music. I knew Paul McCartney was up to something, but I didn't know what.
Regarding AI creating GXV singing Back to the Street, here's AI Frank Sinatra singing Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The technology to actually do this is here, and it's quite scary.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

canelaschlitt
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra praise 2
Pethead since: 1998

Post by canelaschlitt » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:36 pm

dihigo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:58 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:18 pm
dihigo wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

Regarding AI creating GXV singing Back to the Street, here's AI Frank Sinatra singing Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The technology to actually do this is here, and it's quite scary.
I want IA Greg X Volz singing John Schlitt songs and viceversa. 🤩
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:06 pm

Yes, I knew that. The tech has been around for a bit now. Unfortunately, you still have to pay a subscription to get this done. I’m just too stingy.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"