Louie was scammed

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Louie was scammed

Post by Dan » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 am

Louie was scammed by some sick twisted individuals, if you want to help him there is a fund here:
https://www.givesendgo.com/LouieWeaver
Attachments
louie.jpg
louie.jpg (135.74 KiB) Viewed 15158 times
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Re: Louie was scammed

Post by BriGuyPEI » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:57 pm

0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:47 pm

I have no idea how anybody could fall for that. Having to drive around to multiple banks is a big red flag, as is a caller who keeps upping the stakes after you do what they ask.
0 x

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brenthandy » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:07 am

Poor guy. That sucks.

I have a family member who has dementia. Before his diagnosis, he was doing questionable things, falling for something just like this because he wanted a Mercedes they kept dangling. He drained my mom's accounts. She had to do things nobody wants to think of to protect them from bankruptcy and public humiliation.

My mom is still trusting of people with her information. She has anxiety and is super worried about life in her 70s. Even though I preach she should never give out info to anyone who calls unsolicited or without an appointment, she still could. She could be rattled.

All of us are strong and mentally together in our youth. We run companies, engineer, build, solve problems, raise kids, minister, etc. Then we grow old and stupid. I am not looking forward to that when it's my turn.

Sorry Louie, darn it.
2 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:25 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:47 pm
I have no idea how anybody could fall for that. Having to drive around to multiple banks is a big red flag, as is a caller who keeps upping the stakes after you do what they ask.
20 years ago, I would have thought the same thing. Since then, I have heard about several highly-capable people who have fallen for online and phone scams, including my former boss.

When someone has personal information on you, that really tips the scale. On top of that, there is all sorts of misinformation circulating about the pandemic-era government assistance which could have made the scam seem more plausible.

Cognitive decline is also slowly setting in for all of us middle-aged and older.

I agree with the red flags, but cognitive bias and panic have kicked in by that point, so we aren't really in our right minds.

I am blessed to have my parents around still. Although they are quite elderly, they still live in their home and operate their business. It is frightening how frequently they get scam phone calls these days.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:40 am

Poor Louie. My heart goes out to him.

"Therfore but by the grace of God go I." -John Bradford
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?